i found out why some subtitles won't display

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
sdafsa

i found out why some subtitles won't display

Postby sdafsa » 07 Dec 2004 19:32

a few weeks ago i made a post about subtitles not loading automatically on m y external hd when doubleclicking on an avi file. noone was able to give me a solution so i took a break from the problem. today i decided to give it a new try and i managed to find out what was wrong:

the folder in which my movies are has a space in the name (it's called "Newer movies"). when i removed the space the subs loaded automatically.

it would be great if you could fix this to the next version. i assume i'm not the only one that has folders with spaces in their names

Postby Guest » 09 Dec 2004 20:41

will anyone look into it or should i report it to bugzilla?

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 09 Dec 2004 21:42

probably post it, I think it will reduce the odds of it getting forgotten.

Postby Guest » 09 Dec 2004 23:31

it's now on bugzilla

Postby Guest » 12 Dec 2004 20:08

i've now installed 0.8.1 and it seems like the problem is not spaces in folder names but in file names

Huba

Postby Huba » 13 Dec 2004 13:46

Hi all...

I'm a new user of VLC Player and I was so happy when I found it, because it plays files perfectly that jerks or plays unevenly in Windows Media Player, plus it's gentler on my system.

Now, I'm experiencing the same subtitle problems that are mentioned in this thread. I can't figure out, however, if it's spaces in folder names or in file names that are the problem. I did solve the problem for some movies by replacing all spaces in folder names, in other cases by replacing spaces in file names (but not folder names!), and in yet other cases, subtitles still don't work after I have removed all spaces. All subtitles work with Windows Media Player.

So anyway, I just wanted to give my little contribution in the hopes that this great player can become even better! Does anyone know if we can expect a reply from the guys who make the player here in the forum? Sigmund, are you a VLC developer?

Anyway, since I'm here, a suggestion:
If I mark two movie files in Windows Explorer, right-click and choose Play, they open in separate VLC windows... I think it would be better if the files are enqueued in the playlist instead. This makes it easier to play movies that are in two or more files.

BTW, I'm using VLC 0.8.1 on Win XP SP2.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”