Audio/video out of sync

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
AveryTomDeaconHarry
New Cone
New Cone

Audio/video out of sync

Postby AveryTomDeaconHarry » 18 Mar 2009 18:57

Audio and video are out of sync for some videos.
The FAQ'S on the page at http://www.videolan.org/support/faq.html give the solution as 'Try using another audio output plugin and, under Unix, kill esd, artsd or pulseaudio if they are running. If the problem is due to the input file, have a look at the "Audio desynchronisation compensation" option'.
This answer is as much use as a chocolate teapot (I looked through everything I could think of trying to find 'unix or esd' or whatever, and got nothing. I couldn't even find 'audio output plugin'.
If you are going to answer the question properly then you should make the solution more detailed by giving a step-by-step list of instructions using screenshots of the pages seen on the way to the final page wanted (with say red rings circling the relevant locations of items mentioned in the instructions).

R A V E N
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Audio/video out of sync

Postby R A V E N » 22 Mar 2009 04:41

Press Ctrl+E and try to fix that on Synchronization tab.

PGowdy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PGowdy » 08 Sep 2010 04:33

Does nothing. Cheers.
Anyone who actually know how to fix out of sync audio in Vlc please post.
Thanks.

NeilP
New Cone
New Cone

Postby NeilP » 10 Jan 2011 15:24

I can help a bit, if you haven't already sorted this. If you have maybe you can help me!

To Synch Audio and Video try this:

- Open your file with VLC Media Player and pause it.
- Select Tools from the opyions along the top of the screen.
- Select Preferences at the bottom of the drop down menu that appears
- At bottom left of window that opens it says Show Settings - choose All - then select Audio from the list above.
- One of the Audio items that appears is Audio Desynchronisation Compensation. Insert a number (milliseconds) to move the audio. Insert a positive number if your audio is ahead of video or a negative if video is ahead of audio.

I have just done one where I had to insert -500 to bring the audio back half a second. It works. The problem is how you save the file with the new settings. I have tried streaming to an output file but it still has the audio lag.

Nicomoto
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nicomoto » 09 Feb 2011 15:01

the above method did not work for me (in the sense the settings did not get saved. but i got it to work using CTRL + E and then going to the synchronization tab and adjusting the seconds while the video was playing, was able to fine tune it till a perfect match was met. :)

nvoid
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nvoid » 24 Mar 2011 07:37

pressing "J" and "K" (lowercase): will advance and retard timing of audio. its still hard for me to get the timing right after goofing around with it, i usually have to wait for someone to talk to sync. most of the time i find the audio to be ahead of the video.. which requires the audio to be delayed... in vlc its main title is delayed so it gets really confusing...
(-)minus audio delay means: advance audio
(+number)delay audio means: delay...

would be nice if this was improved somehow though, so not to be *as* confusing

s_little
New Cone
New Cone

Postby s_little » 16 Mar 2016 21:52

If the issue is with WMVs maybe it is a duplicate of this one - https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=130719.

I can confirm that 2.2.2 is affected and the nightly builds (the future 2.2.3) works just fine.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”