Is VLC client over firewire doable?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Ti-maniac
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Is VLC client over firewire doable?

Postby Ti-maniac » 28 Nov 2004 05:13

Does anyone know if you can configure VLC as a client on a Mac to receive and decode mpeg2 streams coming in over firewire from HD sources for example such as an HD OTA receiver?

This would be very usefurl for a number of applications. Especially if you could use is as a server as well to stream the received data over IP at the same time avoiding the need for recording.

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 28 Nov 2004 13:25

It does not. It should however be able to play files captured with other applications. Also, if you know some objective-c programming, this should not be hard to implement. Many reasources have been made available and much discussion have been done on how to implement this, but bottom line is that non of the developers have any hardware to test it with.

Ti-maniac
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Ti-maniac » 01 Dec 2004 06:44

It seems like VLC would be a natural for this application. Unfortunately I haven't programmed in c since the 70's and don't plan to start soon as I am now officially an old f**t.

Regarding the hardware, you could use a second mac or pc with an m2t file on it, and feed it to the first mac to debug the software client. You could stream it over firewire with VirtualDVHS on a mac. This would emulate an OTA HD receiver quite nicely.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”