Microsoft HDWMV and DVR-MS support

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Editor
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Microsoft HDWMV and DVR-MS support

Postby Editor » 24 Nov 2004 14:39

Hi All,

I can successfully view wmv files but playback hangs when playing HDwmv files from Microsoft. I am also unable to play DVR-MS files recorded from HDTV. TS files recorded from HDTV playback are OK though.

Are there any plans to incorporate these file types into Videolan...Not being an 'expurt' in these matters but it appears that Microsofts is pushing these formats pretty strongly. I'd rather use VLC than Micksoft Media player !!

Cheers!!

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 25 Nov 2004 22:01

Sigh.... why don't people read stickies..

Windows/Linux/Mac/Other.....?
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Editor
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

HdWMV and DVR-MS

Postby Editor » 26 Nov 2004 00:09

Sorry DJ,

Operating system XP Home, Service PK2.

Reason I ask is I record Digital Tv at the moment in TS format. VLC displays this and streams it perfectly but would like to use Microsoft DVR-MS as a recording format as it apparently has better compression and uses less space. As for HdWMV, There are a few samples that one can download from Microsoft and one can buy DVd's with them on it. The quality is fantastic but would much rather use VLC than Mickysoft Media player.

Regards

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 27 Nov 2004 00:43

I think with WMVHD you mean the VC1 codec as will be used for the new DVD standard etc... This is not currently supported.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 27 Nov 2004 14:09

Well, if WMP can play it, this likely means that there is a DMO codec for it installed on the machine so VLC should also be able to play it.
It could be a CPU issue though because our DMO decoder isn't yet optimized in the sense that we do an extra copy of each decoded picture (which is very costy for HDTV content).
Do you have a video window which opens when you try to play this ? If yes then it likely is a CPU issue.

Postby Guest » 27 Nov 2004 14:15

Postby Guest » 28 Nov 2004 01:02

Now it's a simple question of time to get WMV9 working in VLC and getting rid of that sh***y Windows Media Pñayer for Mac.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 28 Nov 2004 13:13

Now it's a simple question of time to get WMV9 working in VLC and getting rid of that sh***y Windows Media Pñayer for Mac.
That's not true because the reference decoder which jlj used is not available to the public at the moment. jlj is a member of a committee which has legal access to the VC1-reference-decoder, but neither he nor the committee will publish it, since this would be illegal. Btw. Although WM9 is based upon VC1, it is not exactly the same, because DRM, etc. is not included in VC1.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Editor
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Microsoft WmvHd file update

Postby Editor » 10 Dec 2004 14:11

Hi All,

Many thanks to all who replied re-WmvHD and DVR-MS support in Videolan.

I rebuilt my system, ie, reinstalled XP, service packs etc and now WmvHD files play perfectly using Videolan. Can't say exactly what might have been wrong in my previous installation....maybe to much mucking around and confusing Microsoft XP. (easily done I guess)

So alls well that will continue to develop well...WmvHD does work in local playback mode and can also be streamed succesfully. (I say succesfully.....Logical I guess but if the PC client that receives the stream does not have a device capable of viewing HD you don't get a picture. A Videolan client running on a PC connected to a standard TV will not display the picture. Connected to a VGA monitor it does)

As for DVR-MS..........guess that's another story. I must confess I don't understand too much about all these formats other than the digital TV card I'm now using has a preference for DVR-MS recording. Maybe it's just part of the MS global monopolization plan......

I've emailed the software developers for the card to put better support for other recording methods. In the meantime I'll use my original Fusion digital Tv card which record ts format OK and can be played back within Videolan.

Thanks again for all the support and responses to my queries.

Regards

Spike

It would be nice.

Postby Spike » 24 Dec 2004 04:06

I wish someone would crack WMV9 DRM and leak the code.
It would be really nice to be able to watch my legally bought Terminator 2 Extreme Edition DVD with High Definition under Linux.
This DRM crap is really getting out of hand. I play the DVD fine, and would just love to see what the HD version would be like if the regular EE DVD looks this great.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”