WinXP BUG - no dvd menus for movies on hard disk

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Nanocore
New Cone
New Cone

WinXP BUG - no dvd menus for movies on hard disk

Postby Nanocore » 19 Nov 2004 17:29

Using WinXP vlc version 0.8.1 (was the same with 0.8.0 and don't know about earlier versions as I started using vlc at 0.8.0), with movies copied to hard disk, menus can not be used. (NOTE: this happens with all movies tried, regardless of whether all the movie files were under the main movie directory or under a VIDEO_TS directory which is under the main movie directory) Nothing shows up in the navigation pull down either. You can use skip to next chapter button to visit each file in the directory in sequence by name, and movie appears to play fine once you get to the movie. When playing an actual dvd disc, the menus do appear to work most of the time (see below). As a point of interest, the same movies on disk when mounted to a linux box using vlc 0.8.0 (haven't compiled 0.8.1 yet) the menus do work and chapters do appear in the navigation pull down.

As a separate issue for dvd menus, specifically the DVD disc's for the TV show Firefly. These discs have 4 episodes on each disc. With these discs there is a main menu to select the episode and then once selected another screen with menus comes up and you can select play, scene select and one other thing. The menus on this second screen do not work. In fact, you can't even get it to play without going to the navigation pull down and selecting a entry from there. I have only experienced this on the WinXP version of vlc and have not tried it on the linux version yet.

Postby Guest » 30 Jun 2006 23:47

I can confirm this problem with VLC 0.8.5 on XP SP2.

What happens for me is that after I select an episode, a transition animation runs and after that the menu is supposed to show, however all I see is the empty menu (without the clickable text entries). The menu IS functional though (if I blindly click where I guess an option to be, it activates) and if I start the episode and then hit the lower right 'menu' button to get back to the menu, it is displayed fine.

Not sure where the problem lies though (are the Firefly Region 2 disks somehow not conforming to standards?).

Postby Guest » 30 Jun 2006 23:47

N.B. forgot to add: I have this problem playing right off the DVD (ie not from the harddrive)

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”