Building 0.8.1 on Mandrake 10.1

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
mntbighker
New Cone
New Cone

Building 0.8.1 on Mandrake 10.1

Postby mntbighker » 16 Nov 2004 21:15

I started by installing the 0.8.0 rpms and VLC did not work at all. Every function failed to respond including the preferences. I uninstalled the rpms and tried to build 0.8.1. I used the configure script to identify most of the packages I was missing and built and installed them. Now the VLC build mostly completes but fails on something ffmpeg related. Can someone help me out here?

Code: Select all

gcc -Wsign-compare -Wall -pipe -o vlc src/vlc-vlc.o lib/libvlc.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpymmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_rgb_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi422_yuy2_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_ymga_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_yuy2_mmx.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpymmxext.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpy3dn.a ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a ./modules/video_output/x11/libxvideo.a -L/usr/local/lib -lrt -lpthread -ldl -lm -lavcodec -lm -lXinerama -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXext -lXv -lxml2 ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a(libffmpeg_a-video_filter.o)(.text+0x22): In function `CloseFilter__ffmpeg': : undefined reference to `avpicture_free' ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a(libffmpeg_a-video_filter.o)(.text+0x45): In function `CloseFilter__ffmpeg': : undefined reference to `avpicture_free' ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a(libffmpeg_a-video_filter.o)(.text+0x384): In function `OpenFilter__ffmpeg': : undefined reference to `avpicture_alloc' ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a(libffmpeg_a-chroma.o)(.text+0x1c0): In function `OpenChroma__ffmpeg': : undefined reference to `avpicture_alloc' ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a(libffmpeg_a-chroma.o)(.text+0x6b7): In function `CloseChroma__ffmpeg': : undefined reference to `avpicture_free' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make[2]: *** [vlc] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/moorcroft/build/VLC/vlc-0.8.1' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/moorcroft/build/VLC/vlc-0.8.1' make: *** [all] Error 2
And by the way the ffmpeg build completed but it was a mess of warnings and such.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 17 Nov 2004 13:03

Use a current copy of ffmpeg? Looks like this one might be outdated
Don't use PMs for support questions.

mntbighker
New Cone
New Cone

Current

Postby mntbighker » 17 Nov 2004 19:22

Use a current copy of ffmpeg? Looks like this one might be outdated
I downloaded and built the 0.4.9-pre1. Do I need the actual CVS source to get it to build?

--MM

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 18 Nov 2004 03:42

well maybe VLC cannot find the new headers of this ffmpeg build...
Try in a console:
locate ffmpeg.h

see if there are multiple versions of the headers installed on your machine

mntbighker
New Cone
New Cone

ffmpeg.h

Postby mntbighker » 18 Nov 2004 05:19

well maybe VLC cannot find the new headers of this ffmpeg build...
Try in a console:
locate ffmpeg.h

see if there are multiple versions of the headers installed on your machine
The only ffmpeg.h on my system is in the vlc build tree (the one in the tarball). There is no ffmpeg.h in the ffmpeg build directory before or after the build. The only ffmpeg files in the ffmpeg build directory after the ffmpeg build are ffmpeg.c and ffmpeg.o (and the executable of course).

--MM

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 18 Nov 2004 11:41

sorry, avcodec.h

mntbighker
New Cone
New Cone

/usr/lib/ffmpeg

Postby mntbighker » 18 Nov 2004 22:16

sorry, avcodec.h
So I deleted the /usr/lib/ffmpeg folder and rebuilt ffmpeg. It installs in /usr/local. First I didn't have shared libs building and now that I do vlc errors with something about postprocessing. My first attempt at building ffmpeg with postprocessing failed, but shared-postprocessing worked (go figure). It seems there may be a very specific combination of ffmpeg options needed and they are not the defaults. I wish I knew what they were. Building ffmpeg with --enable-pp fails with..

/usr/lib/libpostproc.so.0: undefined reference to `fast_memcpy' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [ffmpeg_g] Error 1
and vlc fails with..

gcc -Wsign-compare -Wall -pipe -o vlc src/vlc-vlc.o lib/libvlc.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpymmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_rgb_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi422_yuy2_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_ymga_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_yuy2_mmx.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpymmxext.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpy3dn.a ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a ./modules/video_output/x11/libxvideo.a -L/usr/local/lib -lrt -lpthread -ldl -lm -lavcodec -lm -lXinerama -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXext -lXv -lxml2 ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a(libffmpeg_a-postprocess.o)(.text+0x358): In function `InitPostproc__ffmpeg': : undefined reference to `pp_get_context' ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a(libffmpeg_a-postprocess.o)(.text+0x56b): In function `PostprocPict__ffmpeg': : undefined reference to `pp_postprocess' ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a(libffmpeg_a-postprocess.o)(.text+0x5d8): In function `ClosePostproc__ffmpeg': : undefined reference to `pp_free_mode' ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a(libffmpeg_a-postprocess.o)(.text+0x5e6): In function `ClosePostproc__ffmpeg': : undefined reference to `pp_free_context' ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a(libffmpeg_a-postprocess.o)(.text+0x649): In function `PPQCallback': : undefined reference to `pp_get_mode_by_name_and_quality' ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a(libffmpeg_a-postprocess.o)(.text+0x6ec): In function `PPQCallback': : undefined reference to `pp_get_mode_by_name_and_quality' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make[2]: *** [vlc] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/moorcroft/build/VLC/vlc-0.8.1' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/moorcroft/build/VLC/vlc-0.8.1' make: *** [all] Error 2

Simba
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Simba » 19 Nov 2004 11:45

Have exactly the same problem while trying to build vlc under RedHat Linux. Also have the 0.4.9-pre1 version of ffmpeg, built with the default settings... :(

Simba
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Simba » 19 Nov 2004 14:57

Now it builds!
I build libpostproc.so library, and copied it to /usr/lib, then configured ffmpeg:

./configure --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-shared --enable-shared-pp
Now ffmpeg and vlc both have been successfully built.

Oopss... But while trying to run vlc I have an error:

[00000402] main private error: cannot pre fill buffer [00000406] main private error: cannot pre fill buffer Segmentation fault
Going to find solution...

mntbighker
New Cone
New Cone

libpostproc.so

Postby mntbighker » 19 Nov 2004 22:15

Now it builds!
I build libpostproc.so library, and copied it to /usr/lib, then configured ffmpeg:
Am I to understand that you built libpostproc from the ffmpeg source as a seperate operation and (re)placed the one in /usr/lib? Mine existing libpostproc.so is obviously not the one built by ffmpeg unless the Mandrake rpm manager placed it there for some other reason before I started this process.

--MM

leicestershire2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Building 0.8.1 on Mandrake 10.1

Postby leicestershire2000 » 15 Mar 2005 06:10

Hi,

I have installed ffmpeg-0.4.8 on my linux redhat machine.
I try to compile the VLC source code using:
1. ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-wxwindows (looks good)
2. make --->I got some errors :

: undefined reference to `avpicture_alloc'
./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a(libffmpeg_a-video_filter.o)(.text+0x9a5): In function `CloseFilter__ffmpeg':
: undefined reference to `avpicture_free'
./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a(libffmpeg_a-chroma.o)(.text+0x17d): In function `OpenChroma__ffmpeg':
: undefined reference to `avpicture_alloc'
./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a(libffmpeg_a-chroma.o)(.text+0x4dd): In function `CloseChroma__ffmpeg':
: undefined reference to `avpicture_free'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [vlc] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/eric/vlc-0.8.1'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/eric/vlc-0.8.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Can anybody please tell me how to solve it ...

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”