VLC Media player 0.8.0 now available

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 07 Nov 2004 12:08

The test2 was using OpenGL rendering, but it proved to have many problems for people. Therefore it was disabled again and the older rendering is used again.
Is there a way for me to enable openGL rendering in the preferences of the final version of 0.8? It seemed to be working well for me!
You can enable it in the video-section of the preferences. You need to check the "advanced"-flag at the bottom to show the option (which is called "Video output module").
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 07 Nov 2004 12:11

- Probs with QDM2 audio... still no sound on .Mov with this format :?
You need to move a QuickTime-DLL to the VLC-directory to be able to use all QT-codecs. Please search the forums for more information.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Postby Guest » 07 Nov 2004 16:37

I really liked the DTS support in VLC, so I was wondering which was the last version that included it?

chain
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chain » 07 Nov 2004 17:14

i also get no audio from my audio receiver. as soon as ac3 encoded movie starts to play, receiver goes from 2 channel input to 0 channels.other movies play fine. also, if i choose postproccesing, picture hangs but audio plays still.

-----
iMac G5 1.8Ghz

dazed&confused
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dazed&confused » 07 Nov 2004 19:40

You can enable it in the video-section of the preferences. You need to check the "advanced"-flag at the bottom to show the option (which is called "Video output module").
I have tried that, but enabling it in preferences doesnt seem to work. Either way version 0.8.0 plays the HD file in a really stuttery way and test 2 is smooth as you like.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 07 Nov 2004 20:31

0.7.2 was the last version to support DTS
Don't use PMs for support questions.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 07 Nov 2004 20:34

i also get no audio from my audio receiver. as soon as ac3 encoded movie starts to play, receiver goes from 2 channel input to 0 channels.other movies play fine. also, if i choose postproccesing, picture hangs but audio plays still.

-----
iMac G5 1.8Ghz
Our audio output core ahs problems with any G5 machine. A fix is not known at present.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

The Phantom

Postby The Phantom » 07 Nov 2004 20:57

Mac OS X 10.3.6, when I try to mount the disk image, it says "no mountable file systems"...is it just my problem?

The Phantom

Postby The Phantom » 07 Nov 2004 21:06

Ok, sorry to have said that, I downloaded VLC from the dutch mirror and now it works...

vsipat
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Linux / Windows

No more MPEG-2 Program Stream support

Postby vsipat » 10 Nov 2004 07:03

I was pleasantly surprised when I was running VLC 0.7.2 on my winXP machine and I found that it could happily decode MPEG-2 Program Streams, as I was generating them from my AVN200.

I then "upgraded" to VLC 0.8.0 and the ability was gone. Uninstall, and reinstall of VLC 0.7.2 and it works again. So I guess I will stay at this version on my winxp machine (exact same results and procedure performed on second winXP machine, same results).

Curious as usual I decided to try out the feature on one of my real computers, a redhat 9.0 box, which was still running VLC 0.6.2 and the feature does not appear to be present in that version either. I will check the other versions on that machine and a FC 2 box when I get a chance.

What is the support level for Program Streams in general as far as VLC is concerned, and have there been some changes recently? I hope this does not sound like a complaint, I am very happy with VLC and its features in general and I usually use it with Transport Streams with my AVN200 and Aminets all together like one big happy family. I am looking forward to playing with the new release...

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 10 Nov 2004 09:31

vsipat: could you upload a sample stream to ftp://streams.videolan.org/incoming with an appropriate name (such as AVN200-doesnt-play-0.8.0) so we can try to see what is wrong, because this is indeed abnormal.
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

vsipat
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Linux / Windows

Postby vsipat » 10 Nov 2004 22:53

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Input......................................... 0.6.2 | 0.7.2 | 0.8.0 |
MCAST UDP AVN200 PS Stream | Bad | Yes | No |
file mp2_ps_from_avn200.mpg | Yes | Yes | Yes |
file mp2_ps_from_avn200a.mpg | Yes | Yes | Yes |
file mp2_ps_from_avn200aa.mpg| Yes | Yes | Yes |
file mp2_ps_from_avn200b.mpg | Yes | Yes | Yes |
file mp2_ps_from_avn200c.mpg | No | No | No |
file mp2_ps_from_avn200d.mpg | No | No | No |

AVN200 PS Stream is a live stream coming from my AVN200 analog video encoder, it is using the packet sizes normally used for TS (1316 byte UDP packets + RTP headers) I can only view this Stream directly using VLC 0.7.2

The files were created as follows:

*.mpg VLC 0.7.2 taking AVN200 Stream from network, raw file dump
*a.mpg VLC 0.7.2 taking AVN200 Stream from network, non-raw TS file dump
*aa.mpg VLC 0.7.2 taking AVN200 Stream from network, non-raw PS file dump
*b.mpg VLC 0.6.2 taking AVN200 Stream from network, raw file dump
*c.mpg VLC 0.6.2 taking AVN200 Stream from network, non-raw TS file dump
*d.mpg VLC 0.6.2 taking AVN200 Stream from network, non-raw PS file dump

When using VLC 0.8.0 I was unable to even see the yucky green filled video output that I could see when trying to view the AVN200 stream from VLC 0.6.2, and as a side effect of this it appears that I cannot even use VLC 0.8.0 to capture the stream data to a file, raw or otherwise...

I am not sure how helpful this will be, as the streams that I could manage to dump to a file will play back fine in most cases. I did not put all of these files (~5Mb-10Mb each) on your FTP site, because I was not sure if I would just be cluttering up your drives. I can send any of these files you would like, so far I have sent only *.mpg and *d.mpg...

thanks for taking a look
-vsipat

heffeque

Postby heffeque » 14 Nov 2004 13:18

Every time I try to play a video with 5.1 sound it gives an error and closes.

I have WinXP SP1, nVidia SoundStorm 5.1 sound. All used to work perfectly with 0.7.2. Now it's broken.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”