a general beginner question

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
digish_gabhawala
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

a general beginner question

Postby digish_gabhawala » 31 Oct 2008 08:02

Hi,

I am new to this media world and i have heard a great name of vlc for video media related things so i am putting this question here.

If its not correct place, please provide link of correct sub-thread.

I want to know that after receiving data from video source like camera and then encoding(mpeg 4) it as per encoding libraries,
1> how to write the data to a mp4 file so that standard players can read it. I know that mp4 is a file formate and hence I will have to fill some metadata about the actual video contents. what all kind of things are to be filled in? can anyone please help?

2> I want that encoded data from camera to be streamed also, so how can i do it? what all information i need so that I canestablish streaming?

I have tried to look into vlc code but I am not able to compile it via Visual studio. I have heard that there is some other way for compiling on windows.

Thanks,
Digish

jgg
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: a general beginner question

Postby jgg » 31 Oct 2008 09:14

You only need to download and install VLC for Windows, then transcode your files to MP4 format and then stream them using VLC as well. You don't really need to add any metadata to MP4 files.

Check VLC documentation in order to know how to transcode and stream files.

digish_gabhawala
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby digish_gabhawala » 31 Oct 2008 10:29

thanks for the reply but actually I want to know how to do that post-transcoding part,
in which the actual transcoded data is to be written to mp4 file.

I actually can not use vlc directly as I am working on symbian. so I can look at vlc code and then depending on requirements, I may either take few source files under open license or I may need to re-write the code.

Thats why i need to understand the actual metadata that vlc adds while writing.

Thanks,
Digish

jgg

Postby jgg » 31 Oct 2008 10:47

So your question radically changes... You want to know how MP4 packetization works in VLC, don't you?

AFAIK, VLC uses ffmpeg to transcode files so maybe you should take a look at ffmpeg source files and ask its community about your doubts. Regarding streaming behavior, you can take a look at VLC source code in the corresponding directories or even take a look at Live 555 project, which is used by VLC when media is streamed through RTSP.

Anyway, a VLC developer might point you in the right way better than I can :) .

Good luck.

digish_gabhawala
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby digish_gabhawala » 31 Oct 2008 11:50

Thank you very much for providing valuable directions..

I will surely now look at ffmpeg and live 555 projects.

actually i started to look at vlc code but i was getting no clue from where to start and unfortunately I am not able to build the project in my Visual studio even so I was not having the way of finding proper starting points by debugging also.

So again thanking you for links. If i will find something helpful there, I will surely update the post for others to use.

If anyone in between can provide some better way, please do it.

Thanks,
Digish

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”