JVLC dead?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
davidhoyt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

JVLC dead?

Postby davidhoyt » 29 Sep 2008 20:43

Is JVLC dead? I haven't seen anything new from them in a long time. I still get a ton of errors and crashes when I run JVLC. Video that works fine in VLC, but not in JVLC (e.g. http://trac.videolan.org/jvlc/ticket/20). The API is a little confusing as well.

We want to use JVLC for our project at work, but it looks like it's going to be impossible if they're not actively working on it. These issues are major show stoppers. Unfortunately my employer doesn't allow working on open source projects using sponsor resources. Trust me, I'd much rather use JVLC than something else like MPlayer through stdin/stdout.

I think I just want to be reassured that someone's actually working on it. And if so, when's the next commit?

Also, could you guys either add the bindings to the releases or create a separate download section where we can get the latest bindings?

Thanks for all your hard work! :D

XYBeR
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: JVLC dead?

Postby XYBeR » 29 Sep 2008 21:30

I don't know, if JVLC is dead or not. But who cares? You have a .dll or .so and you have JNA. If you *really* want to use VLC from Java there is a constant possibility to do it.

Anyway, JVLC plays http://www.nasa.gov/55644main_NASATV_Windows.asx and http://images.apple.com/movies/fox/fant ... j_480p.mov fine for me. Take a look at http://xyber.abt.googlepages.com/workingjvlcexample. With minimal changes it is good for you.

davidhoyt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby davidhoyt » 29 Sep 2008 22:12

Your download link (http://rapidshare.com/files/148962801/j ... e.rar.html) doesn't work for me.

Are you doing your own binding layer? Or is it based off of JVLC + some minor tweaks/fixes?

XYBeR
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby XYBeR » 29 Sep 2008 22:15

You can't download or what?

My example is a self-compiled jvlc (from git, nothing modified). It's works and it's stable.

davidhoyt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby davidhoyt » 30 Sep 2008 00:58

I cannot download it. I click on it and it says the URL doesn't exist (HTTP 404 Not Found).

XYBeR
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby XYBeR » 30 Sep 2008 01:01

Sorry, but it's a problem with your browser, or other software. The link is working. (try this: http://rs162.rapidshare.com/files/14896 ... xample.rar)

Try another browser or switch off your download accelerator.

davidhoyt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby davidhoyt » 01 Oct 2008 00:29

It's probably my work's filter. But this misses the point - is anyone still actively working on JVLC?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 01 Oct 2008 04:04

Yes. but not me.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 02 Oct 2008 14:38

Development is still ongoing, but it's just one person, and spotty. If you want active development, best is to be active yourself :mrgreen:
Don't use PMs for support questions.

jgg
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby jgg » 02 Oct 2008 14:47

Check viewtopic.php?f=13&t=47431&p=150688&hil ... gs#p150688.

If errors are related to JVLC code, you can tune it. If they are related to VLC native code (like MediaListPlayer behavior), you can either wait for next commits or try to implement your own Java classes using libvlc interface. You can tune native code as well, of course.

davidhoyt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby davidhoyt » 02 Oct 2008 19:22

I've been able to compile everything from scratch in the past, but it's been a beast to get it right. I prefer to just download the binaries and use them.

Actually, it would be immensely helpful if you guys (JVLC team or VLC team) could provide the plugins and vlc-control, etc., libraries for both win32 and linux distributions. Right now I get on the nightlies section of the site, download the intrepid build, and use dpkg to get them. We have to ship our application with everything it needs to run intact. IOW, it's not acceptable for us to tell the customer to run "sudo apt-get install <Tons of packages here>" - it all has to come w/ the program. You guys do the windows releases that way - why not provide the same option for the linux side? (I know apt-get is much handier, but how much harder is it to extend what you do for the windows side to the linux side?)

If you're thinking, "just compile it yourself and move the binaries yourself, " then consider this...It's difficult for me to stay up to date using git and compiling it myself b/c the company I work for has the port Git uses firewalled and they won't open it up (I've tried). I would use the http git mirror (and I have), but the problem is that the other projects (e.g. x264) don't use it! And the mirror isn't always as up-to-date as the standard git repository is. So there are times where it won't compile. So to avoid the whole fiasco (I wasted a lot of time trying to do it right), I just download the pre-built binaries. I'm sure git offers lots of geek-intrigue, but subversion was so much easier for me and I think just about everyone else and it got through the firewall just fine...if there's a place to vote for you guys to move back to subversion, count me in. But I know on the website it says to not ask about moving back to subversion because it isn't going to happen...sigh...

But that's beside the point...

Regarding the comment:
If you want active development, best is to be active yourself
I said in my first post:
Unfortunately my employer doesn't allow working on open source projects using sponsor resources. Trust me, I'd much rather use JVLC than something else like MPlayer through stdin/stdout.

davidhoyt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby davidhoyt » 02 Oct 2008 19:30

Just a note -- I'm not trying to sound ungrateful b/c I really do appreciate all of your hard work, blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into vlc. I just want to know one way or another if there's going to be active development on JVLC. Because that will determine if we do an in-house version and reinvent the wheel or wait for a more stable JVLC release. But being in limbo prevents us from moving forward. I would much prefer to use a stable JVLC release.

See my other post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50809

davidhoyt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby davidhoyt » 06 Oct 2008 18:47

I'm attempting to get approval from my employer to release my code for a more reliable JVLC implementation. I'm hopeful they'll allow it. :P

Gonzalez

Postby Gonzalez » 07 Oct 2008 22:57

I'm attempting to get approval from my employer to release my code for a more reliable JVLC implementation. I'm hopeful they'll allow it. :P
I would try your jvlc version , i hope MediaListPlayer , MediaList and MediaDescriptor works.

Gonzalez

Postby Gonzalez » 16 Oct 2008 21:39

Any news ?

davidhoyt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby davidhoyt » 17 Oct 2008 18:35

I'm still waiting to hear back. If it's just a line of code or two, it's usually pretty quick. But this was much more than a line or two and it takes much longer for review and release... :roll:

raaaa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby raaaa » 22 Jan 2009 14:31

Any news of JVLC next release?
I've been using JVLC for some time now and I have noticed that after creating & destroying multiple JVLC instances, the creation of the next instance has become slow (minutes).

raaaa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby raaaa » 22 Jan 2009 16:56

I found the problem. In my case, JVLC created JNA's tmp files in my Temp directory. When destroying a JVLC instance, the JNA's tmp file is not removed (JVLC instance is started as a process and destroyed by the parent process). The amount of files increases, thus slowing the system down.

galtthedestroyer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby galtthedestroyer » 12 Nov 2009 14:57

VLC is GPL so don't they legally have to release any changes to the code? sick the EFF on them.

BurekFr0mSPACE
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BurekFr0mSPACE » 18 Nov 2009 01:27

I hope at least this thread isn't dead. I was looking for a way to reasonably play video in Java, tried JMF and some other stuff, and then I found JVLC. Knowing that VLC Player is fast and virtually plays anything, I immediately downloaded the example and tried it. The project was working, it played all sorts of formats, the sound was there, but - I was getting nearest neighbor scaling. I'm not sure who is actually responsible for it and how the decoded image is forwarded around, but I would really like to get bilinear scaling. I tried --swscale-mode, and manually setting --width and --height in the args[], but it's doing nothing. I'm not even sure where to look. Would anyone be so kind to give me some insight on this situation? Or does anyone know of a place where I can find some sort of documentation? Because so far I only encountered some confusing bits and pieces. Thank you.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”