Subtitles and aspect ratio with .mkvs

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Xevs
New Cone
New Cone

Subtitles and aspect ratio with .mkvs

Postby Xevs » 26 Sep 2008 03:09

Im having an issue with the subtitles. Ive read through the boards a bit and tried using the search function but I couldnt find anything that seemed to relate to my problem. At this point I would think the devs are kinda sick of the subtitle posts as ive seen multiple copies of the same problem posted many times, so I hope Im not adding to it.

Anyway, my issue is regarding the aspect ratio. Ive got a bunch of fansubs that are all 16:9 ratio but my monitor happens to be 16:10. Personally I dont like the bars so i change the aspect ratio. With .avis this doesnt seem to affect anything, btu recently ive been getting into the better quality (I think) .mkvs and when I do so the subtitles do not reposition correctly to match the new ratio. Sometimes the end of a line will get pushed off the screen, while its not a big issue because its usually only a couple letters and its generally obvious what is getting pushed off I thought it would be a good idea to mention it because it seems like it wouldnt be hard to fix. Unfortunately I have no idea how that would be done so I cant be sure.

Oh, also this is in the new version. 0.9.2.

MadlyMad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Subtitles and aspect ratio with .mkvs

Postby MadlyMad » 26 Sep 2008 11:38

weird, it does not seems to happen to me,
first, it shouldn't crop the sides of the video, cause the operation to go from 16:9 to 16:10 is just to increase Y size
second, wouldn't happen if fansub teams would respect basic subtitles norms... a normal line shouldn't be more than 40 letters, most of time in Fansub Teams you find lines with 50-60-70-80 letters (or even more)...
at last, it wouldn't happen if you wouldn't stretch the image (which is imho a way more bad thing to do than keeping thoses black lines...)

Xevs
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Subtitles and aspect ratio with .mkvs

Postby Xevs » 26 Sep 2008 17:42

well After I posted I eventually tried downloading the latest nightly and it seems to be fixed. As for stretching, 16:9 to 16:10 is hardly noticeable and the biggest issue is after extended viewing with the letter boxes (I mean really extended...) Ive had the issue of causing temporary screen burns along the edge of the movie. Not with my current monitor because its brand new but Ive done it on a couple previous monitors/TVs.

The difference I see between the nightly and the current "official" is that when you open the vidoe in the nightly it opens a new window and leaves the controls separate as opposed to keeping them in the same window. I think when i change the aspect ratio on the 0.9.2 one it keeps the window the same size as when i openned the file which means I get letter boxes on left and right in the window and it doesnt reposition the subs to center on the video and they stay pushed over into the letter box. WHen its in a separate window perhaps it handles the resize better? No idea what Im talking about...

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”