Urgent...please Help...

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
ragu_ganiger
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Urgent...please Help...

Postby ragu_ganiger » 08 Sep 2008 12:23

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to VLC. I want to use VLC as a RTSP server. I want to test my RTSP client.
I have installed vlc-0.9.1 version on my system.
VLC supports VOD but, I want to fetch individaul file from the VLC server using rtsp URL.

Kindly provide me some light on this feature.

with regards,
Rag

jgg
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Urgent...please Help...

Postby jgg » 08 Sep 2008 17:28

Hi,

AFAIK, VLC 0.9 will not depend in telnet interface to configure a RTSP or broadcast/multicast streaming service anymore and I don't know how it works.

Anyway,in previous releases, it did. I have used 0.8.6's telnet interface to configure VLM in order to setup a RTSP VOD server, being quite simple. You can find a configuration guide in the Documentation section (VLC Streaming HowTo, VLM).

Hope it helps,
Javi

ragu_ganiger
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ragu_ganiger » 09 Sep 2008 07:48

Thanks for the useful-Info Javi.
I was able to configure VOD service in VLC.

When I use a VOD service in VLC, my external RTSP client will not be able to get individual files from the VLC Server.

Ex:
using telnet interface I create a VOD as:

>new Test vod enabled
> setup Test input sample1.mp3
> setup Test input sample2.mp3

Now the RTSP clients can request the VOD server using URL: "rtsp://<serverIp:port>/Test". This will stream sample1.mp3 and sample2.mp3 to the RTSP client.

But If in need to fetch an individual file i,e URL: rtsp://<serverIp:port>/sample1.mp3 does not work.
Whether this kind of functionality is achievable using VLC ?

Please do suggest me some pointers on this.

with regards,
Rag

jgg

Postby jgg » 09 Sep 2008 09:07

Check the telnet interface output messages, then you can guess how VLM is configuring the service through your service.

Note you tie a file to a mediaID. Probably, if you connect to the VLC server through the command "rtsp://IP:PORT/mediaID" you will get the last media you set or the two of them (is this what you get? the two of them in a continuous stream?).

Anyway, if you want to receive the files in different streams, it's as easy as create the VOD entries with the same mediaID's as file names they have:

>new sample1.mp3 vod enabled
> setup sample1.mp3 input sample1.mp3
> new sample2.mp3 vod enabled
> setup sample2.mp3 input sample2.mp3

AFAIK, this should work. Test it and let us know.

By the way, are you using VLC 0.8.6i? Under Windows, Linux or Mac OS? Are you using a VLC client to receive the streams?

Regards,
Javi

ragu_ganiger
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ragu_ganiger » 09 Sep 2008 10:59

Hi Javi,

Thats coolz :D ..it works.
Now it seems like a RTSP server(partial).. :D

Currently I am using vlc.0.8.6d on Linux(Redhat).

No, I am not using VLC as Client. I have an external RTSP client.
Any idea what is the number of MediaId's we can Create ? and How many maximum concurrent RTSP clients can request a mediaID at any given point of time ?

When I tried to execute 900 concurrent RTSP clients to send request to a VOD server, all the clients were served successfully.

But as I increased the instances to 930, I started gettin error "connection time out to <ip-address>" and some errors stating "read error".

At the same time on the VLC server console the following statment is displayed numerous times:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
(Resource temporarily unavailable)
[00000700] [Media: Test1] main input error: cannot create input thread
[00000701] [Media: Test1] main input error: input thread could not be created at input/input.c:264 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-with regards,
Rag

jgg

Postby jgg » 09 Sep 2008 14:39

Hi Rag,

I'm not sure about how many RTSP entries can be created with VLM nor how many concurrent clients can ask for the same RTSP media. Anyway, 900 seems quite a lot to me. I suppose that a commercial implementation of a VOD service would never offer this amount of streams with only one machine, but with a distributed streaming server architecture.

Maybe someone with more experience in this issue can help you better than I do. :)

Regards,
Javi

ragu_ganiger
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ragu_ganiger » 10 Sep 2008 12:42

Thanks Javi :D

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”