0.9.x

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
omci
New Cone
New Cone

0.9.x

Postby omci » 04 Sep 2008 07:18

Hi!

This is probably a lame question. On the main page under NEWS section, you mention the vulnerability in 0.8.6i and lower versions. You mention we should upgrade to 0.9.x to solve this problem. What is the status of 0.9.x? Is it stable? Is it officially released? Where can we get it? Which version (0.9.0, 0.9.1, 0.9.2)?

Thank you in advance!
Luka

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: 0.9.x

Postby dionoea » 04 Sep 2008 14:24

It hasn't been released in binary for Windows and Mac OS X yet. Source code is available in the git tree. We should release in a few days (some bugs need to be fixed first).
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

omci
New Cone
New Cone

Postby omci » 04 Sep 2008 14:30

Thank you for this answer. Looking forward to this release. I hope you will soon fix those remaining bugs!
Regards, Luka

heywood
New Cone
New Cone

Postby heywood » 04 Sep 2008 18:35

Just to chime in on this: for those who know about the nightly builds and/or how to build from source, getting around the announced security vulnerabilities is no big deal.

However, for novice to intermediate users, this looks pretty bad. Look at it from their perspective:
  • Scary-sounding vulnerability on the front page. 0.8.6i affected.
    Fixes for these issues are available in VLC 0.9. We strongly recommend all users to update to this new version.
  • No download link to 0.9 anywhere in sight.
  • No indication that any of the aforementioned fixes have been backported to the latest version available via the download link.
I would think this is enough to turn more than a few first-time users away. At the very least there should be some dated statement to the effect that 0.9 will be available within a few days. As it is, the impression created by the front page is pretty user-unfriendly.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Sep 2008 20:18

Just to chime in on this: for those who know about the nightly builds and/or how to build from source, getting around the announced security vulnerabilities is no big deal.

However, for novice to intermediate users, this looks pretty bad. Look at it from their perspective:
    Fixes for these issues are available in VLC 0.9. We strongly recommend all users to update to this new version.
  • No indication that any of the aforementioned fixes have been backported to the latest version available via the download link.
I would think this is enough to turn more than a few first-time users away. At the very least there should be some dated statement to the effect that 0.9 will be available within a few days. As it is, the impression created by the front page is pretty user-unfriendly.
Well, we really appreciate YOUR work to help us. :roll:

Pay us to have support.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

stealthdave
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby stealthdave » 05 Sep 2008 23:02

Well, we really appreciate YOUR work to help us. :roll:

Pay us to have support.
That's not the point. The parent is not asking for support. You have a message on your home page saying "don't use version X because it's dangerous; use version Y instead", but there is no other mention of version Y anywhere on the page, let alone a link to download it. I understand that it's "coming soon", but I also follow the dev list. For the average user, this is very confusing. A simple statement saying that it will be released soon would go a long way to avoiding this confusion.

- Stealth Dave

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 06 Sep 2008 01:03

A simple statement saying that it will be released soon would go a long way to avoiding this confusion.
Sounds like a good idea. I updated the news item to mention the upcoming binary release for window and mac os x.

Cheers,
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

omci
New Cone
New Cone

Postby omci » 06 Sep 2008 07:51

Thank you for the change of news on the front page. The purpose of this tread was not to point fingers at the mistake but to find where to find the mentioned new version. Thanks, dionoea, for the corrected news.
We, the users, are appreciating the work you, developers, are putting in the upcoming releases and are grateful for it. Since most of us can't code, do not have time, we can't help in any other way than to point at the errors, bugs, mistakes we encounter during the use of the program. Unfortunately we do not commend your work as many times as we comment on bugs.
Regards, Luka

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”