Bug in h264 streaming

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
caalip
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Bug in h264 streaming

Postby caalip » 12 Jul 2008 05:09

Hi all,

I thought i would post this here, first, before I submit a bug, in case anyone has any comments. It is basically that same bug as https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1384.

However, it is still not fixed in the nightlies of 0.9.0. H264 is not streamed properly, because it does not send the picture parameter set (PPS) and/or the sequence parameter set (SPS) data, before the stream starts. I have tried it with other viewers the problem is at the VLC server side. You can stream an h264 video to quicktime player to see the problem, or to vlc as a player. I have mostly tested it with the VOD, but the old 0.8.6e did not unicast the data either.

Basically, the SPS and PPS information, needed for the client display the picture, it not sent out the first time vlc server should send it. Since the data is resent with each Iframe the client waits till that nex iFrame then starts displaying the video. However, if the MP4 files has only one Iframe the movie is never displayed. Sometimes you have to wait a few second for an iframe, and then the movie will start.

You can test it by streaming a video from the video on demand (VOD) section of the video lan manager (VLM).

Any comments are welcome, I will probably sumbit it in the next few days.

Just to be clear, the first sending of the SPS and/or PPS seems to not be sent.

God Bless You,
Grae

caalip
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Bug in h264 streaming

Postby caalip » 23 Jul 2008 00:33

Users can no longer submit bugs, something about spam. You have to go on IRC to get an account, and no one there knows what your talking about.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”