VLC (WinXP) - Fullscreen that doesnt zoom the picture?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Harm
New Cone
New Cone

VLC (WinXP) - Fullscreen that doesnt zoom the picture?

Postby Harm » 04 Apr 2005 04:06

Hi everybody!

I would like to know if it somehow possible to set VLC so it doesnt zoom the picture to fullscreen in fullscreen mode but just leave it in its orginal size. I know it sounds a bit odd but thats actually a function I'm really looking for.

Thanks in advance

Harm

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 04 Apr 2005 12:07

that is not possible. (at least not easily ... you can maybe try the crop filter with negative values but i doubt that will work)

Harm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Harm » 04 Apr 2005 15:07

No unfortunatly. Negatives cause the video to disappear completely...

publius
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby publius » 05 Apr 2005 04:39

So you want to leave the video at its normal size, but situated in the middle of the screen on a dead-black background? Hmm... it seems like this ought to be possible somehow. VLC has some curious filters in the video decoding chain, and I for one have no idea what they all do.

Harm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Harm » 07 Apr 2005 14:35

Yes thats what I need basicly. Unfortunatly VLC zooms everything to fullscreen in fullscreen mode (even cropped etc.). I would just like to stop VLC from scaling the video :-)

mitchie

Postby mitchie » 26 Jan 2006 12:44

that's the exact same thing i am looking for....

try bsplayer. it is capable of giving you fullscreen without scaling - just native resolution of the video, in the center of the screen. you can even change apect ratio by simlpy zooming the width (of course you loose horizontal native resolution).
(personaly i crop the PAL-input from 576 lines to 480 using ffdshow, (remove most of the black bars), which is the vertical native resolution of my beamer (has 848x480 pixels). the AR is set to 1:1, width is not changed (720 pixels). when i start the movie i have "eggheads" all the time. i zoom width using "ctrl + num4" or "ctrl + num6" until the AR seems to be ok. the video can even become bigger than screen resolution (i.e. 1000x480) )
unfortunately bsplayer cannot handle DVD-menues and encrypted VOBs. the biggest disadvantage is that bsplayer cannot play streams or files that are not closed - i capture movies and play them with timeshift using VLC...

does anybody know how to play movies without zoom in fullscreen? is it somehow possible with the latest version? i tried
#vlc --fullscreen --zoom 1 movie.mpg and #vlc --zoom 1 fullscreen movie.mpg
already... not working :(
or: how can i permanently disable zoom in fullscreen in the source (i have no or just a little experience in programming :( )

nw42
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby nw42 » 21 Oct 2006 22:46

Hi!

I have an idea about how to let VLC play without zoom - but it's very special... ;-)

Try to use the skins2 interface - define a extra window place a "video out" on it and move the window to the second screen.

of cource - you have to set the screen res. explicit inside the skin - so you can define some presets for SD 4/3 - 16/9 and HD...

I also would welcome a simpler solution.

Best Regards

Danko

nw42
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC (WinXP) - Fullscreen that doesnt zoom the picture?

Postby nw42 » 20 May 2008 10:22

Hi!

It's not possible?? Hmm - ok the method with extra skins2 output window doesn't use fullscreen mode ok - but if you set a black desktop background and set the skins2 video window to the native video resolution you will get 1:1 pixel by pixel playback - for sure it runs through the scaler engine but video codec compression is more a problem for the video signal then the scaler at 1:1 setting...

so maybe this could a solution for the problem...

--> but you're right the better way would be to have a real zoom function - a video transformation filter should do this - but at my current vlc nightly build the filters arn't working so I could't try out...

best regards

nw42

fellowworldcitizen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fellowworldcitizen » 10 Dec 2015 21:04

10 years later and still no solution for this simple problem! uhhhrrrrm

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 10 Dec 2015 23:34

It's been solved years ago.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”