DVD-R's

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
marjg
New Cone
New Cone

DVD-R's

Postby marjg » 31 Jan 2008 06:46

My dvd player takes DVD-r's. So I copied some old family movies that were on VHS tapes to the DVD-R. But when I gave a copy to my brother, he could not play it on his DVD player nor on his computer. It won't play on my computer either. I had downloaded VLC because someone told me that it would play any kind of media. But, alas to no avail. Does anyone know how I can copy the DVD onto my computer and then re-record it on a DVD+R?

joseph5
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: DVD-R's

Postby joseph5 » 01 Feb 2008 19:28

You can copy it with DVD Decrypter to your computer, and then burn it with Nero or Imgburn.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Re: DVD-R's

Postby Arite » 05 Feb 2008 00:03

This topic should really be in the "General VLC media player discussion" (or "VLC media player for Windows" if you are running Windows).

However, how are you playing the DVD-Video in VLC? If you go to "File >> Open Disc...", try both the "DVD (menus)" and "DVD" options. Since it is a home-made DVD-Video it is unlikely to have copy-protection, so you could try going to "File >> Open Directory..." and selecting the "VIDEO_TS" folder insider the DVD also.
Does anyone know how I can copy the DVD onto my computer and then re-record it on a DVD+R?
As joseph5 said, DVD Decryter in File mode ("Mode >> File") should make a exact copy of the Files on the DVD-Video. You could then use e.g. InfraRecorder to record it to a new DVD.

Alternatively, DVD Shrink can copy the contents of a DVD-Video and save it as an *.iso (image file) file, which could then be written to a disc using e.g. InfraRecorder, ImgBurn or DVD Decrypter.

Cheers, Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”