Subtitle Issues

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Craig

Subtitle Issues

Postby Craig » 07 Sep 2004 01:28

I read through some of the longer threads about subtitles, and i still can't get mine to work.

The Subs are in a RAR; I tried loading the RAR, and extracting them with no luck.

files are: movie-cd1.idx movie-cd1.sub movie-cd2.idx movie-cd1.sub movie-subs.sfv

The option for subtitles shows up with the avi if I load it with the .idx, but no text shows up.

If I load the .sub I get 3 track choices for subtitles, but the problem is the video isn't loaded. :p

Craig

Postby Craig » 07 Sep 2004 01:30

Forgot to add:

Teetrinker
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Teetrinker » 07 Sep 2004 10:18

VLC dosen't play VOBSUB ( IDX/SUB ) in MKV,RAR or in MP4 (created with NeroRecode2) .

Xine can play VOBSUB in MKV.

Cregore

Postby Cregore » 14 Sep 2004 07:48

Does Xine work on Win2k?

Teetrinker

Postby Teetrinker » 14 Sep 2004 11:44

Does Xine work on Win2k?
Not well I think. There is some development but never test it.

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 14 Sep 2004 15:16

VLC can play VOBSUB in MKV or MP4 but doesn't support them in RAR.

same problem..

Postby Guest » 01 Oct 2004 06:24

I've got the exact same problem under OSX running .80 test 1

if I just run the file (movie.avi) it doesn't auto detect the subs, so the menu's greyed out. If I load with the .idx it shows the subtitle track, but doesn't display the subs, if I load it with the .sub, the subs still don't show up :/ (although the video does play in my case)

anyone have any suggestions ? (filetype is xvid)

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 01 Oct 2004 11:32

This has only been supported since after 0.8.0-test1, so it isn't that strange.....
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 01 Oct 2004 12:54

Sorry, I was under the impression that it was supported as of .80 test 1 - not as of after .80 test 1

I must have misread the docs... sorry :P

Banghazi

.idx sub file

Postby Banghazi » 11 Oct 2004 06:35

I tried an .idx subtitle file in VLC 0.7.2 (Mac10.3.5) along with an xvid movie, and it worked.. sort of.

the subtitles showed up, but in an all over the screen distorted acid trip kind of way..

Why so little support for subtitle files in VLC?? Are there any subtitle file types that it CAN play? If so, I found an OSX app that may be able to convert sub files called TitleLAB, so there is a glimmer of hope..

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 11 Oct 2004 12:17

As stated above. Vobsub subtitles are only supported in 0.8.0-test2 and up (actually i would recommend the final version, since there are still some bugs in test2 concerining Vobsub).

And VLC can only do as much as we program it to do, and we do this in our free time with a very small group. Something which a lot of people don't seem to understand......

Banghazi

Postby Banghazi » 11 Oct 2004 21:53

^^I did not know that.

I had previously tried .idx file in 0.8.0t2, and I got an error saying it didn't recognize file type. I just now tried it again, same thing happened, but this time I let it play and it actuallly did show the subtitles!

Excellent!

And to the developers of VLC, great job! VLC 0.7.2 has been my default player since it came out :)

iwanttobelieve

subtitles need dark black outlines in order to be readable

Postby iwanttobelieve » 12 Nov 2004 07:38

I don't know if this is specific to the OS or player or codec or what, but I never had an issue with vobsub on windows.

Each white letter has a thick black outline. VERY easy to read. A+++++

Subtitles in Mac OS X (vlc) are white letters with a very thin black outline. VERY difficult to read if the video background is not dark. F----- I couldn't even stand to watch.

It's stuff like this that makes me think, I should just stay with windows even though it sucks. Subtitle readability is a critical issue.

I guess I should be happy that anything is supported at all...

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 12 Nov 2004 13:28

The difference is vobsub (image subtitles with fixed outlines) vs. Text subtitles (artificially created outline, currently only 1pixel wide). Usually that is enough, but the higher the resolution of the video, how smaller the 1px outline relatively becomes. This is something we intend to fix in time though.

anyway. it's not a windows vs. mac, but image vx. text
just a matter of coincidence for you I guess.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”