compiling VLC XP using cygwin

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
shivsaxena
New Cone
New Cone

compiling VLC XP using cygwin

Postby shivsaxena » 06 Jan 2008 22:04

Please help... I am using the following:
- cygwin (mingw-runtime is at 3.14.1 where as the http://wiki.videolan.org/Win32CompileCygwin suggests that it should be at 3.11.1) - the rest of the cygwin setup is the same as suggested by the wiki.

- vlc source code 0.8.6b (i tried 0.8.6d with same result)

I get the following error:

if gcc -mno-cygwin -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I/usr/win32/include -I/usr
/win32/include/ebml -D_OFF_T_ -D_off_t=long -DSYS_MINGW32 -I../../include `top_b
uilddir="../.." ../../vlc-config --cflags plugin access_output_file` -Wsign-comp
are -Wall -mms-bitfields -pipe -MT libaccess_output_file_plugin_a-file.o -MD -M
P -MF ".deps/libaccess_output_file_plugin_a-file.Tpo" \
-c -o libaccess_output_file_plugin_a-file.o `test -f 'file.c' || echo
'./'`file.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/libaccess_output_file_plugin_a-file.Tpo" ".deps/libacc
ess_output_file_plugin_a-file.Po"; \
else rm -f ".deps/libaccess_output_file_plugin_a-file.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi
In file included from file.c:30:
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-mingw32/include/sys/stat.
h:113: error: parse error before "off_t"
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-mingw32/include/sys/stat.
h:118: error: parse error before '}' token
make[4]: *** [libaccess_output_file_plugin_a-file.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/shiv/VLC/vlc-0.8.6b/modules/access_output

Please help... i have been struggling with this for a while. re-installed cygwin... thanks a ton in advance

Homda
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: compiling VLC XP using cygwin

Postby Homda » 08 Jan 2008 13:01

I have the same issue too...
Anyone could give some suggestion!?
:cry:
Thanks

Homda
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Homda » 10 Jan 2008 12:36

Could anyone can give me some suggestion???
Please help!!!

MDPI314
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 0.8.6d
Operating System: Win & SlackLinux

Postby MDPI314 » 11 Jan 2008 23:16

Hi, I had the same problem when compiling VLC 0.8.6d under Cygwin

:arrow: I temporary found a solution, which is by modifying source code ...
You "just" have to comment the line "#include <sys/stat.h>" in both files
vlc/modules/access_out/file.c
vlc/modules/access_out/udp.c

:arrow: Message for official VLC developers ^^ :
-> the problem is that "config.h" is not included before sys/stat.h (I guess, via inclusion of vlc.h ?? I'm reading VLC source code for the first time)
-> In addition, "configure" script seems not to add #ifdef HAVE_SYS_STAT_H arround #include <sys/stat.h>
3.14 times smaller than his shadow ...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Jan 2008 23:45

ok, nice spot. I hope the trunk is fixed.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

MDPI314
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MDPI314 » 12 Jan 2008 00:03

Hmmm it looks like that's not enough .... I still can't build 0.8.6d due to other errors
:arrow: sometimes "configure" or "make" just 'stop' without any message .... (irregular behavior :x => cygwin fault ? )
:arrow: now compilation stops while making "misc" module with a message like
"no rule to make target freetype.c required by freetype_plugin.a".
I have freetype installed.

Perhaps the second point is a consequence of the first one....
(imagine that a sub command executed by "configure" crashes ... ??? Is cygwin sick :cry: ?? )

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Jan 2008 00:35

Did you correctly specify the contribs place?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

MDPI314
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MDPI314 » 12 Jan 2008 10:58

Yes I Think, this is what I took and what I did : (You will notice some 'changes' because this morning the compilation decided to work better :shock: )
:arrow: Cygwin install to fit "at best" the recommendations shown on http://wiki.videolan.org/Win32CompileCy ... to_install
:arrow: Downloaded the source package VLC 0.8.6d (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-sources.html the .tar.bz2)
Downloaded the source package contrib-20070412-win32-bin-gcc-3.4.5-only.tar.bz2 (I follow the link into INSTALL.win32 text file)
Downloaded the x264-snapshot-20070412-2245.tar.bz2 from ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/x264/snapshots/
(My final goal is to recompile x264)
:arrow: Extracted contrib package tar xjvf contrib-20070412-win32-bin-gcc-3.4.5-only.tar.bz2 -C /
HERE THERE ARE SOME STRANGE THINGS : It extracts to /usr/win32-branch (This has to be /usr/win32, hasn't it ?)
Nevermind, I link /usr/win32 to point to /usr/win32-branch .....
I also had a problem when configuring with live555 (--with-live555-tree parameter problem?), so I create a link from /live.com to /usr/win32/live.com
:arrow: Configuring/Compiling x264 : Okay, but some instability while compiling (I think there's a problem with cygwin actual version, I submited this to cygwin.com and I'm waiting for answers....). Finally it's successful and I copy libx264.a to /usr/win32/lib and x264.h to /usr/win32/include
:arrow: Modified source code vlc/modules/access_output/file.c and vlc/modules/access_output/udp.c (like I already said)
:arrow: Also modified source code vlc/modules/mux/mpeg/pes.c in the same way
:arrow: Configuring VLC, here's the command lines I use this morning (disabling freetype!):

Code: Select all

./toolbox --distclean ./bootstrap CONTRIB_TREE=/usr/win32 \ PATH=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin:$PATH \ CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/win32/include -I/usr/win32/include/ebml" \ LDFLAGS=-L/usr/win32/lib \ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/win32/lib/pkgconfig \ CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" CXX="g++ -mno-cygwin" \ ./configure \ --enable-sdl --with-sdl-config-path=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin \ --disable-gtk \ --disable-mkv \ --enable-nls \ --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac --with-ffmpeg-zlib \ --enable-faad \ --enable-flac \ --enable-theora \ --with-wx-config-path=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin \ --with-freetype-config-path=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin \ --with-fribidi-config-path=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin \ --enable-live555 --with-live555-tree=${CONTRIB_TREE}/live.com \ --enable-caca --with-caca-config-path=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin \ --with-xml2-config-path=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin \ --with-dvdnav-config-path=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin \ --disable-cddax \ --disable-vcdx \ --enable-goom \ --disable-gnomevfs \ --enable-x264 \ --enable-optimizations \ --enable-release \ --enable-sse --enable-mmx \ --disable-dvdread \ --disable-freetype \ --disable-fribidi \ --disable-httpd \ --disable-activex \ --disable-mozilla \ --disable-x11 \ --disable-xvideo \ --disable-glx \ --disable-xinerama \ --disable-directfb \ --disable-skins2 \ --disable-oss \ --disable-alsa \ --enable-waveout \ --disable-macosx-audio \ --enable-wxwidgets \ --enable-wingdi \ --disable-dca \ --disable-xosd \ --disable-hal \ --disable-update-check
Before asking, yes! I tried --disable-optimizations and --enable-debug :P and many other arguments :lol:

:arrow: VLC Compilation, I tried "./compile" (the nice version ^^) and "make" ..... Often stops without any reason (cygwin problem?) but when I launch ./compile many times (to continue compilation), I've finally the error (today at 11:00am) :
make[2]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/d/VLCx264/vlc'
/bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link g++ -mno-cygwin -Wsign-compare -Wall -mms-bitfields -pipe -L/usr/win32/lib -o vlc.exe vlc-vlc.o share/vlc_win32_rc.o src/libvlc.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpymmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_rgb_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi422_yuy2_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_ymga_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_yuy2_mmx.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpymmxext.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpy3dn.a ./modules/demux/liblive555.a ./modules/mux/mpeg/libmux_ts.a -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,--exclude-libs,libunicows.a -lunicows -lkernel32 -L/usr/win32/lib -liconv -L/home/videolan/jb/0.8.6-bugfix/extras/contrib/lib /usr/win32/lib/libintl.a -L/home/videolan/jb/0.8.6-bugfix/extras/contrib/lib /home/videolan/jb/0.8.6-bugfix/extras/contrib/lib/libiconv.a -lws2_32 -lnetapi32 -lwinmm -mwindows -L/usr/win32/lib -L/live.com/UsageEnvironment -lUsageEnvironment -L/live.com/groupsock -lgroupsock -L/live.com/BasicUsageEnvironment -lBasicUsageEnvironment -L/live.com/liveMedia -lliveMedia -lws2_32 -ldvbpsi
g++ -mno-cygwin -Wsign-compare -Wall -mms-bitfields -pipe -o vlc.exe vlc-vlc.o share/vlc_win32_rc.o -Wl,--exclude-libs -Wl,libunicows.a -mwindows -L/usr/win32/lib src/libvlc.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpymmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_rgb_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi422_yuy2_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_ymga_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_yuy2_mmx.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpymmxext.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpy3dn.a ./modules/demux/liblive555.a ./modules/mux/mpeg/libmux_ts.a -L/usr/local/lib -lunicows -lkernel32 -L/home/videolan/jb/0.8.6-bugfix/extras/contrib/lib /usr/win32/lib/libintl.a /home/videolan/jb/0.8.6-bugfix/extras/contrib/lib/libiconv.a -lnetapi32 -lwinmm -L/live.com/UsageEnvironment -lUsageEnvironment -L/live.com/groupsock -lgroupsock -L/live.com/BasicUsageEnvironment -lBasicUsageEnvironment -L/live.com/liveMedia -lliveMedia -lws2_32 /home/videolan/jb/0.8.6-bugfix/extras/contrib/lib/libdvbpsi.a
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-libvlc.o):libvlc.c:(.text+0xaadd): undefined reference to `_announce_HandlerDestroy'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-unicode.o):unicode.c:(.text+0x16): undefined reference to `_vlc_current_charset'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-configuration.o):configuration.c:(.text+0x1f7e): undefined reference to `_i18n_atof'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-modules.o):modules.c:(.text+0x518): undefined reference to `_vlc_current_charset'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-modules.o):modules.c:(.text+0x830): undefined reference to `_sout_AnnounceRegister'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-modules.o):modules.c:(.text+0x83b): undefined reference to `_sout_AnnounceRegisterSDP'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-modules.o):modules.c:(.text+0x846): undefined reference to `_sout_AnnounceUnRegister'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-modules.o):modules.c:(.text+0x851): undefined reference to `_sout_AnnounceSessionCreate'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-modules.o):modules.c:(.text+0x85c): undefined reference to `_sout_AnnounceSessionDestroy'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-modules.o):modules.c:(.text+0x867): undefined reference to `_sout_AnnounceMethodCreate'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-modules.o):modules.c:(.text+0x1354): undefined reference to `___vlc_fix_readdir_charset'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-modules.o):modules.c:(.text+0x16fb): undefined reference to `_us_atof'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-modules.o):modules.c:(.text+0x1706): undefined reference to `_us_strtod'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-modules.o):modules.c:(.text+0x175b): undefined reference to `_GetFallbackEncoding'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-vlm.o):vlm.c:(.text+0x194c): undefined reference to `_i18n_atof'
src/libvlc.a(libvlc_a-subtitles.o):subtitles.c:(.text+0x4e7): undefined reference to `___vlc_fix_readdir_charset'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [vlc.exe] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/VLCx264/vlc'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/VLCx264/vlc'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Oooo yeah it almost did it :|

j-b, could you just compile VLC starting from scratch (i.e. new cygwin installation) and tell me if you meet the same problems ?

MDPI314
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MDPI314 » 12 Jan 2008 11:45

Hmmm it seems there's a problem on cygwin in fact :D
I made my own program and a script which compiles the program in loop ....
By waiting a little time, gcc (or a subtool it's using I'm not an expert :o ) crashes lol !

See my posts in cygwin mailing list archives : (and try reproducing the 'bug' yourself :P )
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-01/msg00218.html
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-01/msg00224.html

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Jan 2008 18:31

I did for the trunk version, and it works perfectly...

Add --enable-sout
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

MDPI314
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MDPI314 » 13 Jan 2008 15:11

Hi. I endly made it !

Let's resume ...

:arrow: Problem in source files modules/access_output/file.c , modules/access_output/udp.c , modules/mux/mpeg/pes.c
:arrow: My fault for the contrib archive : I took the one with "0.8.6b" instead of the 'generic' one. The 0.8.6b extracts to /usr/win32-branch instead of /usr/win32
:arrow: External applications are responsible for Cygwin fork() crashes and other I/O problems .... I'm now working on a virtual machine, with a clean windows XP install....
:arrow: another problem with linking (contrib package problem ?) I'm using the contrib-20070412-win32-bin-gcc-3.4.5-only.tar.bz2
libtool: link: warning: library '/usr/win32/lib/libdvdnav.la' was moved.
libtool: link: warning: library '/usr/win32/lib/libdvdread.la' was moved.
libtool: link: warning: library '/usr/win32/lib/libdvdcss.la' was moved.
libtool: link: warning: library '/usr/win32/lib/libdvdnav.la' was moved.
libtool: link: cannot find the library '/home/videolan/jb/vlc-trunk-0.90/extras/contrib/lib/libdvdread.la' or unhandled argument '/home/videolan/jb/vlc-trunk-0.90/extras/contrib/lib/libdvdread.la'
make: *** [all] Error 2
... So I created the tree /home/videolan/jb/vlc-trunk-0.90/extras and made a symbolic link 'contrib' which points to /usr/win32 ... :P

:arrow: For info, my final configure script is

CONTRIB_TREE=/usr/win32 \ PATH=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin:$PATH \ CPPFLAGS="-I${CONTRIB_TREE}/include -I${CONTRIB_TREE}/include/ebml" \ LDFLAGS=-L${CONTRIB_TREE}/lib \ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=${CONTRIB_TREE}/lib/pkgconfig \ CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" CXX="g++ -mno-cygwin" \ ./configure \ --enable-sdl --with-sdl-config-path=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin \ --disable-gtk \ --enable-nls \ --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac --with-ffmpeg-zlib \ --enable-faad \ --disable-flac \ --enable-theora \ --with-wx-config-path=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin \ --with-freetype-config-path=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin \ --with-fribidi-config-path=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin \ --disable-live555 \ --enable-caca --with-caca-config-path=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin \ --with-xml2-config-path=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin \ --with-dvdnav-config-path=${CONTRIB_TREE}/bin \ --disable-cddax \ --disable-vcdx \ --enable-goom \ --disable-gnomevfs \ --enable-x264 \ --enable-optimizations \ --enable-release \ --enable-sse --enable-mmx \ --disable-dvdread \ --disable-freetype \ --disable-fribidi \ --disable-httpd \ --disable-activex \ --disable-mozilla \ --disable-x11 \ --disable-xvideo \ --disable-glx \ --disable-xinerama \ --disable-directfb \ --disable-skins2 \ --disable-oss \ --disable-alsa \ --enable-waveout \ --disable-macosx-audio \ --enable-wxwidgets \ --enable-wingdi \ --disable-dca \ --disable-xosd \ --disable-hal \ --disable-update-check \ --enable-sout
You'll see that I have disabled some modules I was not able to compile (but I don't care) :
- live555 (/live.com directory problem)
- flac (link problem, missing symobl _ntohl definition in bitwriter.c)

m.e
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby m.e » 17 Jan 2008 11:45

I have the same problem as MDPI314. I used to be able to compile vlc-0.8.6a and b but since then cygwin has been uninstalled. Now when I try to install cygwin some of the recommended package versions no longer exist. I don't know if that's the source of the problem. Anyway disabling all the thing that MDPI314 has done is not an option for me so please help.

m.e
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby m.e » 17 Jan 2008 18:31

Maybe someone could be nice enough to compile vlc 0.8.6d for me. I have only changed two files from the default 0.8.6d source. The files are ~\modules\video_output\sdl.c and ~\include\vlc_config.h. The modifid files can be downloaded here( . The compiled program should have the same features enabled as the official build.

I would greatly appreciate it. :D
Last edited by m.e on 17 Jan 2008 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Jan 2008 18:41

I can do that.
What are the differenceS?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

m.e
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby m.e » 17 Jan 2008 23:46

I can do that.
What are the differenceS?

That's very nice of you but it's no longer needed because I got it to work. :D :D

This is what I did.
1. Using cygwin setup I uninstalled mingw-runtime-3.14-1
2. Downloaded mingw-runtime-3.11-1 from http://cygwin.internet.bs/release/mingw ... -1.tar.bz2
3. installed it manually by typing "tar xjvf mingw-runtime-3.11-1.tar.bz2 -C /"
4. Tested and it works without any problems.

So this concludes that there is a problem with mingw-runtime-3.13-1 and mingw-runtime-3.14-1.

RoyZhang
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RoyZhang » 24 Jan 2008 08:48

I change the mingw runtime back to 3.11-1 , but still encounter link problem

/usr/win32/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o):bitwriter.c:(.text+0x488): undefined refer
ence to `_ntohl@4'
/usr/win32/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o):bitwriter.c:(.text+0x4e5): undefined refer
ence to `_ntohl@4'
/usr/win32/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o):bitwriter.c:(.text+0x57f): undefined refer
ence to `_ntohl@4'
/usr/win32/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o):bitwriter.c:(.text+0x5d5): undefined refer
ence to `_ntohl@4'
/usr/win32/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o):bitwriter.c:(.text+0x66f): more undefined
references to `_ntohl@4' follow

is there any thing I miss to build the VLC ?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Jan 2008 09:02

Wrong version of flac for your building version.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

foenix
New Cone
New Cone

Postby foenix » 01 Feb 2008 06:44

Dear all :

I tried to compile the vlc 0.8.6d from 4 days ago, and something I couldn't understand about the
0.8.6d released stablly already but having problems on compiling ??

No matter what version of cygwin, mingw that I used, but I used the package of videolan released on :
http://download.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0. ... 6d.tar.bz2
http://download.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0. ... ly.tar.bz2

Acturly, I had the problem of compile, just like the
vlc/modules/access_out/file.c
vlc/modules/access_out/udp.c
and I traced the source, those problem caused by the variable "off_t". Which is defined in the <sys/types.h>
( In my environment, the file locate in the directory : /usr/include/mingw/sys/types.h )

So, I changed the code from original :
#ifndef _OFF_T_
#define _OFF_T_
typedef long _off_t;

#ifndef _NO_OLDNAMES
typedef _off_t off_t;
#endif
#endif /* Not _OFF_T_ */

Into following :
#ifndef _OFF_T_
#define _OFF_T_
typedef long _off_t;
#endif /* Not _OFF_T_ */

#ifndef _NO_OLDNAMES
typedef _off_t off_t;
#endif

#ifndef off_t
typedef long off_t;
#endif

The problem "off_t" is sloved.

dvg_lab
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dvg_lab » 01 Mar 2008 11:15

I have the same issues with vlc-0.8.6e.
1. Cygwin stops compile until comment out stat.h in
modules/access_output/file.c , modules/access_output/udp.c , modules/mux/mpeg/pes.c

2. I have no ideas about this error:

In file included from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/include/c++/cwchar:54, from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/include/c++/bits/postyp es.h:46, from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/include/c++/iosfwd:50, from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/include/c++/bits/stl_al gobase.h:70, from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/include/c++/vector:67, from utils.h:28, from main.cpp:24: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-mingw32/include/wchar.h:4 19: error: `off_t' does not name a type make[3]: *** [libaxvlc_a-main.o] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/vlc-0.8.6e/activex' make[2]: *** [all] Error 2 make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/vlc-0.8.6e/activex' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/vlc-0.8.6e' make: *** [all] Error 2
Looks like cygwin issue. I had the same error with vlc-0.8.6d sources after fixing stat.h errors and etc.

I'm working on video on demand system http://wiki.ouwu.com:8080/display/pb/Video+on+Demand and want to add registry key "vlcstream" to vlc install script. AFAIK it refers to NSIS script, but I have to build vlc release before make changes to NSIS script.
Could anyone help me?

-----------------------------
Sorry, I didn't see previous message, yes it was off_t error in cygwin. I have compiled vlc after fixing the types.h file.

But I have downloaded vlc-0.8.6e-win32.zip file unpack it and have found that I really don't
need to recompile all of project. All I have to do - edit vlc.win32.nsi file
and then make executable setup by NSIS.

predatorx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby predatorx » 07 Apr 2008 05:05

I have the same issues with vlc-0.8.6e.
1. Cygwin stops compile until comment out stat.h in
modules/access_output/file.c , modules/access_output/udp.c , modules/mux/mpeg/pes.c

2. I have no ideas about this error:

In file included from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/include/c++/cwchar:54, from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/include/c++/bits/postyp es.h:46, from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/include/c++/iosfwd:50, from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/include/c++/bits/stl_al gobase.h:70, from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/include/c++/vector:67, from utils.h:28, from main.cpp:24: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-mingw32/include/wchar.h:4 19: error: `off_t' does not name a type make[3]: *** [libaxvlc_a-main.o] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/vlc-0.8.6e/activex' make[2]: *** [all] Error 2 make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/vlc-0.8.6e/activex' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/vlc-0.8.6e' make: *** [all] Error 2
Looks like cygwin issue. I had the same error with vlc-0.8.6d sources after fixing stat.h errors and etc.

I'm working on video on demand system http://wiki.ouwu.com:8080/display/pb/Video+on+Demand and want to add registry key "vlcstream" to vlc install script. AFAIK it refers to NSIS script, but I have to build vlc release before make changes to NSIS script.
Could anyone help me?

-----------------------------
Sorry, I didn't see previous message, yes it was off_t error in cygwin. I have compiled vlc after fixing the types.h file.

But I have downloaded vlc-0.8.6e-win32.zip file unpack it and have found that I really don't
need to recompile all of project. All I have to do - edit vlc.win32.nsi file
and then make executable setup by NSIS.
Hi

you need replace a off_t type for long type in wchar.h file.
1-> enter en cygwin
2-> cd /usr/i686-pc-mingw32/include
3-> cp wchar.h {local path ex: /cygdrive/c/VLC/}
4-> edit wchar.h in your local path
5-> change a line 419 from off_t st_size; to long st_size in wchar.h file;
6-> save file
7->replace file cp {local path ex: /cygdrive/c/VLC/wchar.h} /usr/i686-pc-mingw32/include
8-> change aut chmod 777 /usr/i686-pc-mingw32/include/wchar.h
9-> re-make vlc

chao..

LewisPringle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby LewisPringle » 09 May 2008 21:03

You also may want to look at:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46477

Though I also found that mingw 3.14 was problematic, I found that 3.13 worked fine (as did 3.11 - as the above poster suggested).

amri123
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby amri123 » 22 Sep 2008 09:19

But i think if i give the command "--disable flac" then there seems to have some problem in playing the audios of the files.So I cant disable flac.But again if i enable it, it is giving errors----

/home/videolan/jb/vlc-trunk-0.90/extras/contrib/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o):bitwr
iter.c:(.text+0x3fb): undefined reference to `_ntohl@4'
/home/videolan/jb/vlc-trunk-0.90/extras/contrib/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o):bitwr
iter.c:(.text+0x488): undefined reference to `_ntohl@4'
iter.c:(.text+0x4e5): undefined reference to `_ntohl@4'
iter.c:(.text+0x57f): undefined reference to `_ntohl@4'
iter.c:(.text+0x5d5): undefined reference to `_ntohl@4'
iter.c:(.text+0x66f): more undefined references to `_ntohl@4' follow
make[4]: *** [libflacdec_plugin.dll] Error 1

So please help me in this regard,and suggest what changes should i make.Thanx

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”