Strange image distortion when playing FLV files

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Alexorcisto
New Cone
New Cone

Strange image distortion when playing FLV files

Postby Alexorcisto » 15 Dec 2007 14:41

Hello!

Many people all around the web searching for the answers about that so it led me to this forum.

When watching the original flv video file from the news sites like CNN.com or Fox News strange kind of image distortion appears mostly on the faces/bodies of a persons.

For example you can check this clip of the news report:

http://media.myfoxla.com/video/20070926 ... chool1.flv

When you watch it with a simple FLV Player or a flash player embedded in the official website nothing happens with the image but with VLC Player we can see that face of the reporter begins to distort and change it's color. The same kind of artefacts appear after uploading the original flv file on Youtube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ag76j1rRtTk

So we want to ask the experts about any working explanation for such kind of effects (why and how it happens)!

Thanks!
------

P.S. There are also several original videos that show this kind of distortions with VLC Player:

http://www.divshare.com/download/3123509-ea9

If you need more examples to clarify the subject I could upload more video files for you.

P.P.S. I've used latest VLC release 0.8.6d and have latest codecs pack installed, anyway such thing appears not only on my PC...

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Re: Strange image distortion when playing FLV files

Postby CloudStalker » 15 Dec 2007 21:15

Well the current version of VLC has some complications with FLV format files but there should be an improvement to this for the future version of VLC. Try a nightly build to test this out.

Alexorcisto
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Alexorcisto » 15 Dec 2007 22:23

Try a nightly build to test this out.
This build completely failed with that video file - just dancing purple artefacts all over the screen... :?

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 15 Dec 2007 22:35

Well it is a nightly. Improvements with VLC's handling of the FLV format have already been made, you'll just need to wait for a more stable version I guess. 8)

diggum
New Cone
New Cone

Postby diggum » 18 Dec 2007 01:49

I'm having the same distortion issues. Anyone have better luck handling it?

Ron

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”