Beta release: VLC 0.8.0-test1

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Beta release: VLC 0.8.0-test1

Postby zorglub » 03 Sep 2004 09:34

Dear friends,

The VideoLAN team is happy to announce the first beta version of the upcoming VLC 0.8.0.

This is a major update. Main features include:
* Completely rewritten input system (better, faster, improved seeking, more extensible - eg. allows multi-input support).
* Re-write of the transcoding layer. (everything VLC plays can now be transcoded).
* New plugins cache system to dramatically speed up launch time.
* Improvements to the subtitles/OSD subsystem.
* Vastly improved DVD support.
* DirectX Media Object decoder/encoder (Win32 only - supports WMV3).
* Cross-platform OpenGL video output with special effects
* New screen capture input plugin (to stream your desktop).
* Windows Media Server RTSP support.
* Multipart JPEG demuxing/muxing. (for video streaming to a Mozilla Web Browser)
* DVB subtitles decoding/encoding.
* Audio equalizer.
* New streaming wizard and other interface improvements (many more controls in extended GUI in wxwindows)

For a more complete list, please see the full release notes:

http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/NEWS

Binary packages are already available for Windows, BeOS and MacOSX
You can download the binary packages and the source code on:
http://www.videolan.org/pub/testing/vlc-0.8.0-test1/

Please remember that this is a beta version. Please test it and report bugs.

For the VideoLAN team,
Last edited by zorglub on 02 Oct 2004 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

Postby Guest » 03 Sep 2004 15:29

Although I tried it, it's very faster and stable! The Fastest! The Stablest! And it seems many options are added.

But they were didn't work on my machine.
Prefernces: Modules: demux2
decorder
are not worked(I do not know whether other options will work.)

My spec: Mac OS X 10.3.5 (7M34) G4 800MHz VLC 0.8.0-test1

Is there any solution?
Thanks. :)

guest1

Postby guest1 » 03 Sep 2004 16:30

i have a MAC using OS X and the VLC did not play WMV3 formats on this

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 03 Sep 2004 16:57

VLC is not supposed to play WMV3 on Mac. The features list/news specifically states that WMV3 is new for Windows only. MS has a new DirectX extension, applicable only to Windows, which allows VLC to link to MS' Windows WMV3 CODECs. There is no equivalent for Mac.

Not something the VLC folks can "fix" -- it's the vendor (MS) that has to decide to make an API available.

A good question, just trying to let people know not to expect WMV3 on Mac (or Linux).

Postby Guest » 03 Sep 2004 17:05

Although I tried it, it's very faster and stable! The Fastest! The Stablest! And it seems many options are added.

But they were didn't work on my machine.
Prefernces: Modules: demux2
decorder
are not worked(I do not know whether other options will work.)

My spec: Mac OS X 10.3.5 (7M34) G4 800MHz VLC 0.8.0-test1

Is there any solution?
Thanks. :)
Ah, It worked now. I just deleted old settings. :)

Goon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Goon » 04 Sep 2004 11:40

Testing it using Windows, because my digital camera records with WMV3 sound. Works perfectly!

However, when I try to transcode the movie with the streaming assistant, it crashes. I've tried several audio and video codes, as well as containers. Can't find where it comes from.
I switch to the good old interface, select File->Open, check stream output. No issue to transcode my movie to an Ogg containing Vorbis + MPEG4. Guess the bug comes from the assistant (which is great by the way)...

Congratulations!

multiVitamin

Postby multiVitamin » 04 Sep 2004 13:07

testing the w32 version on WinXP Pro SP2

system specs:

AMD Athlon TB 1400MHz
MSI K7 Master Board
1GB RAM
nVidia GeForce3 (Asus)
Soundblaster Live 5.1
Pioneer DVD ROM - DVD-116

only problem I faced that vlc crashes when opening a DVD with Menu!

Postby Guest » 04 Sep 2004 13:12

oh well now it works! deinstall left some files from the old version in the videolan directory! I deleted them and reinstalled! now everything works - great work!

Postby Guest » 04 Sep 2004 15:30

http://www.spymac.com/upload/gallery/f_ ... 242428.jpg

Gamma has weird bug...
It will be repaired if prefernces is eliminated. However, it recurs. However, I do not know the timing.

Postby Guest » 04 Sep 2004 16:16

On OSX (10.3.5), when using the OpenGL output, there's a one pixel wide green border around the video. Is that some debug feature in the beta builds or a bug? It doesn't show up in 0.7.2.

Postby Guest » 04 Sep 2004 18:47

I just thought I give it a try for checking the improved dvd support. So I've tested about a dozen DVDs for menu functionality - they worked for most parts, but all of them with more or less lack of visual feedback.

tested and partly working:
  • - MI:2 nearly 50% of the submenus work correctely with visual feedback
    - Star Wars Episode I: mainmenu works, the title selection and all other sub menus are screwed, making them hard to even navigate. same for Star Wars Episode II. same for the bonus DVD of both Films. visual feedback only @mainmenu
    - Harry Potter I+II: the selection hover status is only shown in main menu. bonus dvd didn't have visual feedback either
    - Matrix & animatrix: worked for the main menu, the rest had no visual hover for the buttons
    - LotR I - menu works, no feedback at all
    - The Mummy
didn't show any visual feedback (but working)
  • - 5th element
    - Three kings
didn't work at all (only the menu)
  • - the beach
tested on windows xp pro

Postby Guest » 04 Sep 2004 19:21

http://www.spymac.com/upload/gallery/f_ ... 242428.jpg

Gamma has weird bug...
It will be repaired if prefernces is eliminated. However, it recurs. However, I do not know the timing.
copy and paste to your browser.

tsubu

Postby tsubu » 04 Sep 2004 19:32

I tested MPEG4 AVC (.mp4) files that are created from Sorenson Squeeze4(Sorenson AVC Pro).

Before version (0.7.2-win32) is crashed, but 0.8.0-test1 is worked.

Good job.

jal

Applescript support

Postby jal » 04 Sep 2004 23:34

Does this new version support applescripting? If so is it possible to get the elapse time of media via applescript ? Does anyone have any resourses on the current basic applescript command?

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 05 Sep 2004 13:26

jal: search the forum for "applescript" I think there is a quite detailed intro on how to use it in a post somewhere

Li On

Postby Li On » 05 Sep 2004 17:20

Just tried. Like the 0.7.2 version, this new release also CRASH on all my Japanese HDTV TS files with AAC audio track.

Please refer to this thread for more info:

viewtopic.php?t=2863

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

TranceFlute

Still no sound & crash

Postby TranceFlute » 05 Sep 2004 19:14

Dual G5 1.8 GHz: DVD or VIDEO_TS folder will open but no sound. Audio menu is set to digital output every time. When I change to "stereo PCM", the program crashes and the sound is broken on the hole system. I have to reboot :((
:?:

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2004 20:38

A post-process is not applicable to mpeg and a mpg file. Why is it? I think that ffmpeg is supporting them.

Newswatch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Newswatch » 05 Sep 2004 22:20

I would like to try the "Frame rate selection in the transcoder" option announced in the changelog in order to decrease the necessary bandwidth. I couldn't find a hint, on how to change the framerate.
I would like to include a reduction of the framerate down to 15 fps (from 25) into the following code:

Code: Select all

vlc *.mpg --sout='#transcode{vcodec=DIV4,acodec=mpga,vb=96,ab=32,channels=1,width=320,height=240}:std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,url=:8080}'
Any help is appreciated.

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 05 Sep 2004 22:32

--sout-transcode-fps <float>

vlc --longhelp --advanced
lists the full set of command-line options

You can also reach it through WxWindows, going through Settings--Preferences.

Newswatch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Newswatch » 05 Sep 2004 22:43

Thank you for your quick response. I missed the commandline help, as I combined -H an --help with --advanced. At the graphical interface I don't get any preferences entry. Having compiled vlc from source under SuSE 8.2 I just have "add interface" in the "settings" menu.

TylerL

Postby TylerL » 06 Sep 2004 16:12

BIG bug on Mac OS X dual-monitor systems.
Certain video files, when dragged and scaled to span both monitors will crash the system HARD. Both screens will go into power-save mode and the last snippet of audio will repeat for a few seconds. Computer is un-pingable.
Unfortunately, no crashlog is recorded :(

Happens with...
Rev1 Dual 2GHz PowerMac
OEM Radeon 9600 Pro, 20" ACD and generic 1024x768 VGA LCD
Video files with the following codecs: OpenDivX4, H264 (encoded with latest mplayer from ffmpegX). More might be affected too.

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Transcoding -- mp4v and maybe mpga broken -- memory leak

Postby markfm » 06 Sep 2004 16:17

Fresh build from SVN, 9 Sept. WinXP, SP2,...
Transcoding with the default CODECs shows a huge memory leak, with residual (after stopping the transcode, starting to do something else, like a local video play, the leak doesn't clear)

Edit -- Strange stuff, later in the day, exactly the same file, no leak. No overall CPU load or memory issues either time -- plenty of RAM, 2.6 GHz P4. Is there some kind of race condition that can occur in VLC?

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

General inconsistency in operation

Postby markfm » 06 Sep 2004 20:29

WinXP, SP2, P4,...

VLC isn't operating in a stable manner. The following was from an hour ago:

Settings -- Preferences -- General Settings --Video

If you change the video overlay option, it doesn't take effect immediately. You have to Save, then exit and restart VLC for the change to take effect.

(You cannot change the option, then open a new video, have the option take effect.)

I fired it back up again, now, and the overlay state change took immediately.

Sometimes I have been getting a gray screen, too -- VLC draws the region where the video window belongs, but doesn't actually display video. The audio is playing, the clip progressing, but nothing -- just the gray background. If I do a Video - Disable, followed by Video - Track 1, the video then starts displaying.

Plus, I had my earlier memory leak doing transcoding, where mem use kept ramping up. A few hours later, same general PC state, no leak.

It's like there are multiple race conditions in the software, things that may or may not actually occur (shovel things in a transcode, without something receiving them to clear the buffer, select a video overlay change, but it may not actually get applied internally, start a local video display, but not actually kick off the display window itself.). communications?
Last edited by markfm on 06 Sep 2004 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

circle
New Cone
New Cone

DSHOW:// WinTV PVR 350 causes crash

Postby circle » 06 Sep 2004 21:44

Decided to try it over 0.7.2 as I have not been able to get audio when streaming from my WinTV PVR 350.

Now if I select a DSHOW source and Win TV card I get a Application popup

vlc.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x6720acfb" referenced memory at "0x0000000e". The memory could not be "read".

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”