Latest Nightly Crashes MAC, Looking for more stable version

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
LJS
New Cone
New Cone

Latest Nightly Crashes MAC, Looking for more stable version

Postby LJS » 31 Aug 2004 01:06

I am using a PowerMac G5 and need to see an MSDN Online episode and using VLC 0.7.2 or Media Player for Mac, it fails.

I tried the latest VLC nightly, since the forums report that the "fourcc'undl" error I am getting is now fixed, but the Aug 30 version crashes my whole MAC and does not play any video.

Can someone tell me which Nightly I can use, that is somewhat stable and allows me to see some streaming video? I am going to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/theshow/Episo ... efault.asp

Right click on one of these:

Current Episode: 56 KB/Modem, DSL/Medium Bandwidth, T1/High Bandwidth

and download the file. Then open it with VLC. This gives much better errors, so I can see what I need to see the episode, but I need a more stable version of VLC to do so.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 31 Aug 2004 15:15

the undf is a general error that can be caused by several different reasons. That it was fixed for one person says nothing about if it was fixed for you.

Next. first of all the Audio is in a format that cannot be played back on a mac, because there is no implementation of it on the mac (i know, can you believe it???)
Second, the video is just fine, it's just the server that isn't fast enough to feed VLC the feed, requiring VLC to skip frames and do buffering, which in essence VLC CANNOT do. When the download doesn't occur fast enough, VLC flips. This is because VLC was designed to stream live streams, and if live streams skip, then they are useless. So buffering methods like these were unnecessary in our early days. We are trying to change VLC to handle this better, but it is a lengthy process.

If you were to view this stream on a windows machine (and i tried), you will see many "bufferering ..%" messages etc.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

LJS
New Cone
New Cone

Postby LJS » 31 Aug 2004 18:14

I understand now, thank you for the explanation.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”