Problems while playing films over Network with MAC OSX

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
clumsy

Problems while playing films over Network with MAC OSX

Postby clumsy » 15 Dec 2003 18:39

Hi,

i installed VLC on my iBook G4 800 with Mac OSX. No problems while playing files from disk.
Now I connect to my Server (where my films are located) by doing "Go to -> Connect to server" (smb://ip-adress). After starting VLC I want to open a film (Open -> File -> film.avi) from my server. I choose "File" because MacOSX handles the "data deallocation" via smb like a "local harddrive"....

The problem is, that the film stocks every second and a message "lost frames....too slow computer?!" pops up....

Is there a solution for my problem??
I dont think my iBook is too slow, because I never have problems with other DivX/XVid-Films....if they reside on my local harddrive :)

THX
clumsy

PS:Sorry for my poor english!

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 15 Dec 2003 22:26

Sounds like a speed/bandwith connection problem.

There is an option to increase the caching of the file "access" plugin in the preferences panel. Try it, it might improve things.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 16 Dec 2003 01:15

This is a problem with the way how the smb mounts work on MacOSX.
increasing the buffer as gibalou explained indeed will help with this. But it is actually something apple ought to fix.

If you have a linux server you should try setting up nfs exports. In my expererience they work much better.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Rechoman

Postby Rechoman » 16 Dec 2003 06:01

I've a titanium 1ghz (with L3) and a P4 2.53Ghz as server. On my local network (100Mb), I've the same pb when I want to watch a movie over the network with videolan (movie located on the pc). Of course, here I've not power problem (otherwise many would have...). But the problem doesn't occur when I try to do the same thing with mplayer or with Quicktime+divx5 codec. So, I conclude that the problem is not really in the apple smb mount procedure but in VLC himself.

Note that with appleshare server over airport 10Mb or ethernet, there is no pb.

So ?

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 16 Dec 2003 10:36

Mplayer does a lot of caching before playing the file, this is why it is working fine.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”