student project ??

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.

student project ??

Postby Guest » 04 Dec 2003 20:34

hi all.

I just explain my little project for my student.

I work at college Lionel-Groulx in Oem system. We want to use a tv tuner and brodcast the video on the network and receive it in a application. I know VLC can do this for file and dvd.

SO I want ot know if I can use a TV TUNER to do the same ?

If yes Wich one should I get to make this working. The server should be on a windows system and the student also.

The student should be able to receive the video in their program that they make. I use Borland c++ Builder 5 for make all the app.

I really don't know if this is possible. I don't know If I use the Moonlight codec and use the component of media player if this can works.

please let me know.

jonathan

BigBen
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby BigBen » 05 Dec 2003 12:02

Well, VLC features a dshow input, which should work with most TV cards...

Don't forget that if you card doen't feature a hadware encoding chip, this will have to be done by software, which is quite cpu consuming (about a PIV 1.6 GHz is required for real time full screen MPEG4 encoding).

About the playback issue : most VLC functions are handled by the libvlc, that can be used in any other application... (have a look at the mozilla plugin for instance). However, don't know if developping apps using libvlc with Borland will be possible, since we are using a unix builing environment (autmake, autoconf, etc...)
--
BigBen

VideoLAN Team

dumarjo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dumarjo » 08 Dec 2003 16:32

yes this is what i see. But For the build under borland... isn'T possible to use a sort of dll ?.. I see in one of directory thay have many dll.

DOes anybody make it work with an Borland environnement ?

thanx

Jonathan

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 13 Dec 2003 05:39

Well, VLC features a dshow input, which should work with most TV cards...
Tried it this way (mind you, without streaming, i.e. just simple playback) but I don't get any image from my TV tuner (a Hauppauge card in WinXP). I can hear the sound, and the tuner is definitely detected properly, but no image--not even a blank window, nuffink. :? Could any of the VLC developers look into that please? Streaming the output of my TV tuner across the entire network sounds like an awesome feature.

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 13 Dec 2003 11:16

Could you provide a log from the "Messages" window so we can see what's going on ?

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 13 Dec 2003 20:29

The "Messages" log is empty. Here's the MRL target to be opened:

dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Hauppauge WinTV Capture" :dshow-adev="" :dshow-size=""

Interestingly enough, clicking the stop button will not stop the "playback". Moreover, nor will closing the VLC program! In order to stop the (so-called) playback I have to resort to the dramatic move of killing the vlc process in task manager.

Here's a few hardware details:

TV tuner: Hauppauge Connexant 878-based
dual P3 1GHz

Anil
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Anil » 14 Dec 2003 04:27

The "Messages" log is empty.
Open the messages window first. Then try to play from your dshow device using the "Open..." dialog box for example. You should have plenty of debug messages in the log now.
Anil Daoud

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 14 Dec 2003 13:32

You are the second person reporting this weird behaviour with the DirectShow plugin so I guess there is a bug somewhere but I haven't managed to find it.

A full log of the debug messages might be useful to track this down.

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 14 Dec 2003 21:40

A full log of the debug messages might be useful to track this down.
Grab here: http://members.rogers.com/ccocos4328/messages. Thanks for all the help, and keep up the good work! Cheers.

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 18 Dec 2003 05:15

Grab here http://members.rogers.com/ccocos4328/messages2 the messages file generated by the test-2 version of VLC 0.7.0.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”