Hate doing this, but build problems

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
SoftwareDave
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Hate doing this, but build problems

Postby SoftwareDave » 25 Jun 2004 21:53

Windows 2000 Pro, trying to build using Cygwin

I did everything according to the "Working Cygwin VLC Compile Environment" document [installed Cygwin from scratch], but couldn't get VLC to build.

I'm using contrib-20040520-win32-bin-gcc3.3.1-only.tar.bz2 for the pre-compiled libraries, and I used svn-1.0.5 to get the latest trunk.

Unfortunately the document (although very welcome) is not really specific enough about exactly what Cygwin packages are needed. I tried using the basic options specified, and it failed to build. I installed a bunch more and now my Cygwin installation is up to 500Mb, but at least I got the build a bit further. This is now where it is falling over:

Code: Select all

+ automake-1.7 --add-missing --copy configure.ac: installing `autotools/install-sh' configure.ac: installing `autotools/missing' configure.ac:12: installing `autotools/config.guess' configure.ac:12: installing `autotools/config.sub' Makefile.am: installing `autotools/compile' Makefile.am: installing `autotools/depcomp' + rm -f vlc-config.in vlc-config + rm -f src/misc/modules_builtin.h src/misc/modules_plugin.h + rm -f include/vlc_symbols.h + rm -f mozilla/vlcintf.h + set +x : not found : not found : not found : not found configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target configure: WARNING: invalid host type: checking build system type... config.sub: missing argument Try `config.sub --help' for more information. configure: error: /bin/bash autotools/config.sub failed --disable-sdl: not found --enable-nls: not found --enable-ffmpeg: not found --enable-faad: not found --enable-flac: not found --enable-theora: not found --with-wx-config-path=/usr/win32/bin: not found --with-freetype-config-path=/usr/win32/bin: not found --with-fribidi-config-path=/usr/win32/bin: not found --enable-livedotcom: not found --enable-caca: not found --with-xml2-config-path=/usr/win32/bin: not found --with-dvdnav-config-path=/usr/win32/bin: not found --disable-cddax: not found --enable-release: not found Make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
Obviously the problem starts with the line

: not found
which isn't very helpful.

Do I just keep downloading more Cygwin packages, or am I missing something obvious?

Note that my user name on this Windoze box contains spaces. However, I edited the profile and passwd files to give myself a name with no spaces.
Could this be the problem?

I also note that if I type

set
at the bash prompt, the PATH environment variable contains my Windoze path, which obviously contains spaces - is that a problem?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 28 Jun 2004 19:19

It's an honest question --

The Appendix to the "Working Cygwin..." document is a file listing showing all of the Cygwin packages that I selected. When you run the Cygwin Setup application, you end up with this list of available libraries -- select the ones that I show in the Appendix, and you will have the right ones. When I had to do a Cygwin install on another machine, I used the Appendix as my guide, and it worked.

(if you look at my Appendix, compared to all available Cygwin packages when running Setup, there are actually a decent number that I leave out, specifically certain other C packages)

In your case it looks like you have a bad Cygwin installation -- it does happen. Take a look at:
viewtopic.php?t=2515&highlight=warning+ ... ost+target

Welby hit the same kind of problem you're showing. Welby reinstalled Cygwin, did OK.

As I noted in one of the threads, it looks like the Cygwin mirror called theonlinerecordstore has a good set of Cygwin files, at least last time I checked. Choose that as your download site when running the Cygwin setup app.

Your username shouldn't be a big deal either way. Once you have installed Cygwin, and first opened a Cygwin Bash shell, you will end up with something like c:\cygwin\home\your_username -- if the "your"username" directory includes spaces, great, otherwise it really ought not matter.

Also of note, it looks like you had trouble with the contrib file download and extraction. After installing Cygwin, opening a bash shell, you need to use Internet Explorer (or Netscape), and download that file into your Cygwin home directory (the one that is c:\cygwin\home\your_username). Make sure that the contrib file ends in ".bz2", not ".tar" -- Internet Explorer likes to rename the file, beats me why. Then run the "tar xjvf contrib-..." command from the writeup, simply substituting the current contrib package filename (the date has changed oto 0520).

Good luck -- it is a pain to set up, but once you're set, the compilation is not bad.

SoftwareDave
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SoftwareDave » 28 Jun 2004 20:08

Thanks, I do appreciate any help, and I also realise that you have tried to make this as painless as possible!
My first impression was that the list contained a complete Cygwin installation, because nothing was "skipped", but now I see that you are simply not showing the packages you haven't got installed.
I'll start from scratch again and follow your list to the letter.

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 29 Jun 2004 08:53

And make sure you are cut&pasting the lines in INSTALL.win32 as is. That is even the backslashes "\" are important as they tell the shell that the following line is actually part of the same command.

SoftwareDave
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Success!!

Postby SoftwareDave » 29 Jun 2004 14:24

Gibalou: Thanks, but yes, I copied and pasted, and understand about backslashes.

I started again, downloaded Cygwin from theonlinerecordstore, and have exactly the same files as in the document. A couple of them do seem to be later version numbers, though. The contrib file has .bz2 extension [downloaded with Moz Firefox]. So I set it building, and even took the dog for a walk as suggested. Made no difference, it failed at exactly the same point:

+ rm -f vlc-config.in vlc-config + rm -f src/misc/modules_builtin.h src/misc/modules_plugin.h + rm -f include/vlc_symbols.h + rm -f mozilla/vlcintf.h + set +x : not found : not found : not found : not found configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target configure: WARNING: invalid host type: checking build system type... config.sub: missing argument Try `config.sub --help' for more information. configure: error: /bin/bash autotools/config.sub failed
So then I suddenly had a brainwave. I recalled reading something on these forums about DOS vs Unix files, and the end of line characters.
Wrote a little utility to strip all carriage returns from the config_setup file (I'd copied and pasted it from Word, so obviously it had crlfs in it), ran it again and bingo. 75 minutes later I appear to have a working VLC.exe.

Thanks again for the help. Maybe this is something that should be in the document?

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 29 Jun 2004 15:41

Good job!

What, specifically, should the CR-LF, comment be? Something like:
"Note: If you cut-and-paste the above config_setup, be sure to change carriage-return -- linefeeds (CR-LF) to just linefeeds. Otherwise you may have an error while running config_setup, which looks like:
+ set +x
configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
configure: WARNING: invalid host type:
checking build system type... config.sub: missing argument
Try `config.sub --help' for more information.
configure: error: /bin/bash autotools/config.sub failed
"

I would also change the Appendix to note that newer versions of the particular packages are okay to use.

SoftwareDave
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SoftwareDave » 29 Jun 2004 17:10

Yeah, looks good to me. I guess there's any number of utilities around to convert crlfs to lfs.

One thing you might know: after I've made the (stripped) package, vlc.exe is just under 5 Mb. Pre-stripped, it's 9.6 Mb. However, the release version is only 2.5 Mb. How come?

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 29 Jun 2004 17:56

Somewhere in a post one of the developers mentions that they use a compressor program for the Windows distribution package. One of those automatic-expander beasts that operates at execution time.
Given disk space is cheap, and HD transfer time is good these days, I never bothered asking about it any further.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”