QT won't play avi, VLAN does, but...

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
daddyaddy
New Cone
New Cone

QT won't play avi, VLAN does, but...

Postby daddyaddy » 23 Nov 2003 19:24

I was referred to VLAN by a kind soul in the Apple QT Disucssions. .AVI will not open with QT, but VLAN does a great job of doing so. How can I make all .AVI's open up automatically in VLAN when these file types are double clicked?

Also, how can I make linked .avi files within PowerPoint slides play seemlessly like on a Wintel machine?

I want to diss the Wintel box and get an iBook for my sales presentations. Without my .avi's playing correctly within sales .ppt's, I cannot make the desired switch.

Thanks for any help in advance!
STEVE

Macwiz

Change so all avi´s start in VLC:

Postby Macwiz » 23 Nov 2003 20:03

Get info on a avi file (Command+i) there you will have a window showing bunch a stuff about the file,
klick on the second triangle from the top that says something like "Open with:", in the pulldown menu choose VLC
(you might need to add it manualy by going to the bottom of the pulldown manu and locate VLC by clicking on "other...")
when you done that click on the button under the pulldown menu so all file that are avi´s will open with VLC, peace a cake really :D

i asumed you are running os x,
cuz you told me that you where in the Apple QT Disucssions forums.

the other question i cant answer,
cuz i nerver used powerpoint, and will never afford it :lol:

Lukas
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lukas » 23 Nov 2003 23:13

Steve;

Your second problem will not be easy to solve using ppt. First of all the problem is that VLC is not an addition to OS X on a generic level, it is a self contained application with internalized codecs. This means that even if it can play it ppt which hooks into the OS supplied video functions (QT in this case) won't be able to use it inline, and without knowing this for a fact I assume ppt won't work any other way. Now there are of course several codec options that might help from standard divx.com ones to oss alternatives.

I would suggest the following first find out what codec the .avi files you need to use are compressed with. AVI like MOV is a basically a wrapper format that can contain a number of different types of data. Secondly find out if the codec used is available for QuickTime if it is run with the ball if not I think your chance for inline .avi display is nil.

Personally I ditched ppt as soon as Keynote became available which I suggest you take a look at although this will have little effect on your current problem.

If you create the videos or have a static library of videos to use converting them to a more generally supported format is no giant task. If you get new ones regularly I am afraid you are stuck with finding a suitable QT codec.

daddyaddy
New Cone
New Cone

QT and codecs

Postby daddyaddy » 24 Nov 2003 22:53

I went to http://www.divx.com and downloaded the new DIVX 5.1 for Mac, and installed.

I did not expect QT to play my.avi's after this, and in fact, it did not.

But, where did the new codec go? What did the installer do to QT? Or did it just place the codec in a read file for when QT starts up?

Where do codecs go or what do they do when installed?

Sorry for the newbie style questions, here!

Steve

voodoo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby voodoo » 24 Nov 2003 23:46

Codecs go in the
/Library/QuickTime/
folder IIRC.

If you want to play .avi files with QT the 3ivx codec is recommended (at http://www.3ivx.com) but you may have to doctor the .avi files to make them compatible with QT (with the 3ivx or Divx codec installed of course)

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 25 Nov 2003 02:16

A pain right?
that's why people use VLC on the mac :) too bad you can't get it into PowerPoint.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Honda

Postby Honda » 21 Feb 2006 08:50

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”