! VLC Appreciation Thread

Want to help the VideoLAN project? Designers, testers, translators, please come...
This is NOT about GETTING some help.
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post VLC usage related questions.
Synetech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

! VLC Appreciation Thread

Postby Synetech » 03 Sep 2009 04:24

Hi,

This thread may not be help the team with code, but it is meant to help with morale; a thank-you thread.

I want to give a big thank you to the VLC team for this great video player. I particularly want to thank you guys for the 1.0.1 version. I appreciate the better FLV playback. More importantly, it has fixed the variable-speed playback so that the pitch of the audio remains unaltered, changing only the tempo. Also, with previous versions, altering the speed would cause VLC to start hiccuping after a while, requiring a quick double-SPACEBAR hit (pause/play) to fix it.

The variable-speed playbay is really useful. I personally use it to more quickly get through movies and tv shows that suck. It is really annoying to sit through programs that are boring or downright bad, so being able to zip through them in ¾ to ½ the time is wonderful. Since 1.0 came out, I have on several occasions kicked myself while trying to watch something boring to reminded myself to hit Num-+ (sometimes twice!) I love being able to get through stuff much faster, and thus waste less of my life. :D

Thanks again.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Re: ! VLC Appreciation Thread

Postby CloudStalker » 04 Sep 2009 11:09

Sup! Nice thread Synetech has going here. :) What? Of course it's completely unique, why would Synetech think that someone else has made threads like this? :P Naw, CloudStalker is just messin with ya, it's all good. :wink:

Yup, VLC media player is awesome, despite j-b's involvement in it. :P But seriously, nice work to all the developers, and yes, that includes j-bizzle. :D Well, catch yaz on da flip side. Hey, what does that mean anyway. :?

doomonyou
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby doomonyou » 10 Sep 2009 20:55

This is the best media player I have used on any platform. Thanks for taking the effort to code the amazing piece of software.

nameblank
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nameblank » 16 Sep 2009 12:20

Here's a little trick to make VLC open quicker
Instead of clicking on a media file to open & play it with VLC, (which in my experience can take up to 30 seconds)

Just open up VLC.exe on its own (takes a few seconds) then load your media files to the playlist and your done....much quicker...

--Looks like they still haven't fixed the Batcave sounds when Spatializer is enabled.....oh well probably have to wait for VLC 2.0.....LOL

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 20 Sep 2009 09:34

Here's a little trick to make VLC open quicker
Instead of clicking on a media file to open & play it with VLC, (which in my experience can take up to 30 seconds)
lol. Seriously? CloudStalker has never had to wait that long after clicking on the icon in the explorer. Weird. :? Well don't know what else to say about that one.

thekillersguy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thekillersguy » 01 Jun 2010 13:06

Keep up the good work!

g00gl3
New Cone
New Cone

Postby g00gl3 » 19 Jun 2010 13:46

Thanks you.

Ilasir
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Ilasir » 23 Jun 2010 07:33

Though I'd drop by and add my thanks to the list.

kurkosdr

Postby kurkosdr » 25 Jun 2010 16:54

I also want to give my big thanks to the videolan team.

I still remember that in 2003, I had to rummage through various media players like FLV player and Divx Inc's player, tolerate Quicktime getting possesive on my system and PowerDVD's double windows. Not to forget WMP, which,as the versions progressed, it devoted less and less space for video, even in full screen.

Now, I just install VLC and forget about different formats. Also, I love the fullscreen controls, the ability to jump to 3 seconds ahead or behind and of course the quality of the video playback.

Keep up the good work.

hotblooded
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.1.0
Operating System: Windows XP

Thankyou VideoLAN Team - Leave Your Thanks!

Postby hotblooded » 05 Jul 2010 04:37

Thankyou Jean-B and the VideoLAN team for a wonderful free, flexible, feature packed media player.
Constructive input from users via this forum is invaluable to you developers and the best thing about that is you listen and act to correct bugs and improve the product.
Pioneering any invention can be a bumpy road to perfection, but by the looks of things the VideoLAN team have missed most of the potholes along the way, and ended up with a great product that was truly needed for today's advances in media entertainment. I'm sure down that road you will sort all the bugs out and end up with a version that you can be even more proud of than you are right now. Congratulations and Thankyou Jean-B and the team.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Thankyou VideoLAN Team - Leave Your Thanks!

Postby VLC_help » 05 Jul 2010 16:36

Topic moved

hotblooded
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.1.0
Operating System: Windows XP

Re: Thankyou VideoLAN Team - Leave Your Thanks!

Postby hotblooded » 06 Jul 2010 00:24

Many thanks VLC_help for moving my post to the appropriate section. I was quite unsure myself where was the best spot for it.
Cheers.

lapunluyang
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lapunluyang » 27 Jul 2010 04:37

Thanks for your work! :lol: :lol:

modulo4
New Cone
New Cone

Remerciement

Postby modulo4 » 14 Aug 2010 03:41

Sorry for the next but my english is not perfect.

Je voulais juste poster mes remerciement les plus sincère a toute la communauté
qui travail a la contribution, l'évolution, la maintenance et la distribution de VLC.

Certains pourraient dire que faire un don serait une bonne façon de remercier et de concrétiser mon acte,
certes je le ferai aussi, mais je tenais quand même à remercier par écris tout ses développeurs et ses personnes
qui passent beaucoup de temps a faire de se Freeware le meilleur lecteur multimédia actuel, et même plus encore !

Je m'en sert au quotidien et je n'ai nullement envie d'utiliser un autre logiciel car celui la est parfait, simple et complet.

Merci VLC !

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: Remerciement

Postby CloudStalker » 27 Oct 2010 13:50

Sorry for the next but my english is not perfect.
Don't worry about it, modulo4. Appreciation transcends language. But, ah, whadya say? :P

Relensio
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Relensio » 30 Oct 2010 17:58

I absolutely love VLC and use it constantly. One issue that I have been having is that my E:/ drive no longer works. Whenever VLC tries to locate a disc it automatically chooses this one and can't find a disc, so I have to manually change the drive to my F:/ drive every time. My suggestion is to put an "always use this drive" choice on the Open Media, Disc Selection, Disc Device, portion. This would make it easier to use. I don't know if this is the appropriate thread to post this, but I want to emphasize how much I enjoy using this program. Thank you.

(If there is already a way to do this, please let me know)

mohamedeimo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mohamedeimo » 05 Dec 2010 22:57

we love vlc and its users is increasing very speed .
I found this good player by luck and from this time I use it.
we can't deny that vlc needs alot of improvements but we know that its developers do thier bests so we should thank them.
thanks a lot , vlc team.

tradebit
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Win/Lin

Postby tradebit » 09 Jan 2011 21:00

Changed from windows to linux a few years back, found VLC the only working choice to watch videos in HQ, changed back to windows and kept VLC as my default media player. Stable, slick and without the noise! Folks, good work!

DaveLan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC & 3GP files

Postby DaveLan » 18 Jan 2011 17:22

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I have recently downloaded VLC after a few months hiatus. Originally I was told on these forums that VLC couldn't play 3GP files with sound & vision, & could only play vision. However, this recent release CAN play sound & vision. It is far better than using QuickTime, which is anything but 'quick'.

I'd just like to say thanks for a fantastic free video player. VLC is superb! 8)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Jan 2011 23:02

Yes, this was added lately...
And next version will add even more of this...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

DaveLan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DaveLan » 18 Jan 2011 23:56

Yes, this was added lately...
And next version will add even more of this...
Excellent! Keep up the good work. :D

kris
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kris » 06 Mar 2011 20:43

Hi,

Please stop this awfull job....if you need a non working streaming solution please have a look at vlc.

In addition, please rewrite your docs and your wiki because actually it doesn't help in any way.

...and stop advertise VLC as a streaming server because it has no features for that...not even a daemon...

...and let me laugh regarding VOD manager via Telnet...

...so VLC is :
- non working as a streaming server
- not a server
- not secure
- very badly documented

use it if you have time to loose for no gain

Regards,

krisisbitter
New Cone
New Cone

Postby krisisbitter » 07 Mar 2011 23:46

Well team, allow me to say that,
it is a great honour to write to the distinguished and honourable team of
VideoLAN.
Thank you very much for creating such a nice media player for FREE.
Thanks to the donors and contributors who supported the project as well and
make it possible to distribute it free.
I appreciate your hard work and time.

now,
Hi,
Please stop this awfull job....if you need a non working streaming solution please have a look at vlc.
In addition, please rewrite your docs and your wiki because actually it doesn't help in any way.

...and stop advertise VLC as a streaming server because it has no features for that...not even a daemon...
...and let me laugh regarding VOD manager via Telnet...
...so VLC is :
- non working as a streaming server
- not a server
- not secure
- very badly documented

use it if you have time to loose for no gain
Regards,
kris, kris...

if you are so dissatisfied then perhaps this project is not for you? Why waste your precious time registering an account to be so vitriolic?
this is not what people do kris. It changes nothing and is therefore neither here nor there. No one promised you these things in this project.
Did they? If they did, were they any of the people who have sincerely given of their efforts to any of the aspects of the project you so righteously dismiss?

Hmmm... things to think about kris.
BTW my username was chosen in 'your honor'.

scottbomb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby scottbomb » 18 Apr 2011 06:16

Thank you very much to all those who have written and contributed to VLC! I also am very grateful for the source code. I'm a software engineering student and having some real source code to look at is very helpful!

TheBigTime001
VLC version: 1.1.9-3.0git
Operating System: Fedora Xfce

Postby TheBigTime001 » 02 Jul 2011 21:42

Yup. VLC is awesome. I love it because it can handle so many things well. I had practically given up on finding a free programme to play DVDs and FLV files, so when I discovered VLC 1.1.9, I just had to download it. I am a tweak-freak, so the huge amount of configuration options really appeals to me. In fact, more than once these options have turned an unwatchable media in to a watchable one. I hope the VLC programmers keep up the good work, 'cause I can't wait for VLC 1.3.0 to come at least to the git channel, because I expect the amount of awesome features included to double in the next year or so. I was an avid WMP and MPlayer user before I discovered VLC. Now I'm so happy with VLC I use it all the time. :-)
If we can simulate real life so accurately, then isn't our reality maybe just one great big simulation as well?
Please don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “Contribute and help the VideoLAN project”