Ace Stream — GPL violators

Want to help the VideoLAN project? Designers, testers, translators, please come...
This is NOT about GETTING some help.
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post VLC usage related questions.
ValdikSS
New Cone
New Cone

Ace Stream — GPL violators

Postby ValdikSS » 06 Nov 2013 19:25

Hello!
Here is a project called Ace Stream. They use modified VLC as their player and refuse to provide source code for it. There is a .patch for VLC 1.1.12 on their forums which was uploaded more then a year ago, but they refuse to publish new changes for current Ace Player, which is based on 2.0.5.
When I was asking for the source, Ace Stream administrator called me their license violator and I got banned from Ace Stream system without any explanation.
And there is a mistake in their license agreement. It says that Ace Player HD is provided under the LGPLv2 license, but VLC is GPLv2 and can't be sub-licensed.
I wrote about that some time ago on videolan@videolan email, but never got a reply.

TheBigTime001
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.9-3.0git
Operating System: Fedora Xfce

Re: Ace Stream — GPL violators

Postby TheBigTime001 » 21 Mar 2015 03:28

Also, if their project is validly licenced under either the GPL or any of its variants, they are REQUIRED to provide source code when asked, so even if they could validly make this redistribution (which, as you have pointed out, they cannot), since they have refused to provide source code upon request, they have made an even more massive violation of the GPL they claim to be licenced under and therefore are completely illegal in the distribution of software. They are legally obligated to follow the GPL's terms or face the consequences. Unfortunately, VideoLAN only has the financial room to develop VLC and run the websites, so a legal team is out of the question. But please make some noise on the Internet if you want to, and bring people's attention to the illegality of this product. Those of us who are on the forum have sadly seen only a few victories, but yours could be the next. Perhaps someone could send this company a cease-and-desist email and chew them out. Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention! PS: you cannot legally be banned for asking for the source of a copyleft work, so there's a third offence right there.
If we can simulate real life so accurately, then isn't our reality maybe just one great big simulation as well?
Please don't use PMs for support questions.

EdwinE
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EdwinE » 15 Jun 2015 09:07

they even ripped off our beloved cone . That means war :D France vs Russia & see who wins the battles..

mental note to self: re-read topic at work & have fun with Ace Stream :D

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 Jul 2015 21:07

It's hard to get their source.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

mancerrss
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mancerrss » 29 May 2018 16:46

Take them down. Also their player are even used for piracy anyways, take them down before the blame gets passed into us by DMCA or some copyrights groups there

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 02 Jun 2018 09:39

Ace Stream is not operating from the US; I don't think DMCA applies. (I however do reserve any and all legal avenues against VLC license violators.)
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

InTheWings
Developer
Developer
VLC version: crashing
Operating System: Linux

Postby InTheWings » 02 Jun 2018 15:57

There's some source on the ubuntu releases. Unsure if that's old.
https://bitbucket.org/AceStream/acestreamplayer
:!: If you want your problem to be solved :
* First read troubleshooting guide VSG:Main
* Always provide verbose LOGS ! (command line or from gui)
* Always check your issue against a developer build from Nightly Build of VLC
* Tell us when your problem is solved !

duckofdeath
New Cone
New Cone

Postby duckofdeath » 04 Jun 2018 17:44

I unfortunately doubt they'd care what VideoLAN says about GPL. I'm pretty sure Ace Stream is amongst other things a malware installer for their preferred nastiness of the moment, like blockchain miners, backdoors and whatnot. I think it's Russia based so, not very likely they'd care what people say about it.

ale5000
Operating System: Windows

Postby ale5000 » 11 Jul 2018 12:20

Look here: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.en.html
Once you have collected the details, you should send a precise report to the copyright holder of the packages that are being misused.
The copyright holder is the one who is legally authorized to take action to enforce the license.
Note that the GPL, and other copyleft licenses, are copyright licenses. This means that only the copyright holders are empowered to act against violations.
The FSF acts on all GPL violations reported on FSF copyrighted code, and we offer assistance to any other copyright holder who wishes to do the same.

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Don't Blame Me

Postby Ludrax » 24 Dec 2018 03:36

I think this requires closer look:

The rule of thumb is that if you can watch TV channels using VLC then you can also use it with TVMosaic (there are some corner cases, but in general it works). :snake:
An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

Return to “Contribute and help the VideoLAN project”