Nightly Builds - Bugs and Fixes

Want to help the VideoLAN project? Designers, testers, translators, please come...
This is NOT about GETTING some help.
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post VLC usage related questions.
CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Re: Nightly Builds - Bugs and Fixes

Postby CloudStalker » 04 Nov 2008 01:32

Hm? CloudStalker has been trying out some of the latest nightly builds (trunk) but all of them past the date of 01-Oct refuse to start. CloudStalker opened the Task Manager and observed VLC attemping to load but the it always crashes when it gets to about 32MB loaded, nothing appears on screen throughout the entire process.

Of course CloudStalker tried all of the usual, deleting vlcrc file, trying different builds (Oct 1st works) turning off all other programs, firewalls, ect. Just tried the latest (vlc-1.0.0-git-20081104-0004-win32.exe) and that one failed too. Just informing ya. 8)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Nov 2008 09:02

Yes, there are issues with the new messages API.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 04 Nov 2008 09:39

K, very well then. Well CloudStalker will search very hard and see if he can find some other issues... WOW that was quick, found some. :lol:

howdr
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby howdr » 09 Nov 2008 02:13

I have tried the last 5 days of nightly builds of 1.0 on my Vista 32 bit and all have crashed 100% right away, they will not start at all, I get the message the VLC has stopped working.

I do not know what crashed but I thought I would post this.

howdr
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby howdr » 09 Nov 2008 02:35

11-8 build of 0.9.7 works though on my Vista.

jonlunn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jonlunn » 21 Nov 2008 12:55

I downloaded 0.9.4 and have noticed a bug when fast forwarding flv files. After loading the file and fast forwarding VLC crashes approx. 90% of the time.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 21 Nov 2008 14:37

I downloaded 0.9.4 and have noticed a bug when fast forwarding flv files. After loading the file and fast forwarding VLC crashes approx. 90% of the time.
Try VLC 0.9.6:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

snipdiesel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby snipdiesel » 23 Nov 2008 21:13

I downloaded the newest version and tried to play a fly format video (format that youtube videos are in) and it crashed and it just asked if i wanted 2 send a error report:(......... all the past versions played fly format well and i just wanted to inform the video Lan team of this bug i found:)..........hope it gets fixed soon:)

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 23 Nov 2008 21:23

Try deleting preferences and cache files. Go to (enter into Windows Explorer address bar):
%appdata%

And delete the "vlc" folder.

Arite.

zlorenzini
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zlorenzini » 30 Nov 2008 06:14

Hi. I have been compiling the last couple of nightlies in Ubuntu 8.04 (with latest kernel updates). I have the ability to test under quite a wide variety of platforms and environments due to the number of computers I personally posess and have access to. I can test single-core, dual-core, quad-core, dual-cpu, AGP graphics, PCI-E graphics, ATI, NVIDIA, Windows (XP, 2003, 2008, Vista), Linux (Ubuntu). I edit video for some clients, so I can test various video formats as well.

This report is for the following computer:
Mainboard: Foxconn X38A Intel X38
CPU: Core 2 Quad 6600 (usually overclocked to 3.0, sometimes as high as 3.6)
Memory: 4x1GB Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 (currently at 1000 5-5-5-18)
Hard Drive: 500 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 21 SATA in AHCI mode.
DVD: LG Super-Multi with LightScribe
Video: PNY XLR8 NVidia GTX260
Video driver: NVidia driver 177.82 for Linux 64-bit

VLC Build: vlc-snapshot-20081129.tar.bz2

Configure and Compile went OK. Contact me if you want outputs. My Q6600 can configure pretty quickly.
I played my folder containing a full-file DVD-rip of The Matrix (I own the DVD and created the files using DVDFab5)
Sound: The A/52 support is working perfectly. I get:
a52 decoder: A/52 channels:7 samplerate:48000 bitrate:384000
The audio is properly decoded by my processor.
Video: I can run in X11 mode. If I use OpenGL mode, it gives me a segmentation fault as soon as I try to play video.
Have some problems. At the default aspect, the video is compressed into the left 4/5 of the window and there was just black space in the right 1/5. Resizing the window made no difference. When I attempted to go fullscreen it worked, but the stdout showed:
X11 request 42.0 failed with error code 8: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
When in fullscreen, the video only occupied the upper-left quarter of the screen and continued to look squished. Now, when I switched aspect to 16:10, it filled the screen, but I could tell it was slightly stretched. The same effect occurs if you use a HDMI-DVI converter to hook your cable box to a widescreen 16:10 monitor. It is a 16:9 image, but it stretches to 16:10. Slight, but noticable.
If I switch to 4:3, it letterboxes in both axes, but still looks stretched vertically.
If I try to resize the window while playing I get a segmentation fault.

Also, what happened to the feature that allows you to play a folder containing DVD files as if it were a DVD? When I first used VLC (version 0.8.6), if I used "Open Directory", it would start up the menus and play the right tracks seamlessly. Now it just plays the VOB files, sometimes starting with the special features. In fact, a lot of times it will play the French audio track because they switch the audio tracks on each of the VOBs in an attempt to discourage copying. Kind of funny seeing the Merovingian, who has a French accent, move his mouth in English and speak in French.

Let me know if there are any other platforms that need testing, because as I said, I can test on a lot of different platforms.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 30 Nov 2008 16:51

Also, what happened to the feature that allows you to play a folder containing DVD files as if it were a DVD? When I first used VLC (version 0.8.6), if I used "Open Directory", it would start up the menus and play the right tracks seamlessly.
Go to:
Media >> Open Disc...

And press "Browse...". You can then select the VIDEO_TS directory etc. and it will be treated as a DVD-Video.

Arite.

zlorenzini
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zlorenzini » 30 Nov 2008 20:59

Thanks, Arite. In the process of using the "Open Disc..." feature, I got a screeenshot that plainly displays the aspect ratio issue. Note that while the title was displayed using the entire width of the window, the movie plays in the left ~4/5 to 5/6 of the window and fails to overwrite the text.

Also, if I double-click to go to fullscreen, it will remain the same size on a black background. I can fix it by changing the aspect ratio, but then I run into other problems like I explained in the last post.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 Nov 2008 22:02

Hi. I have been compiling the last couple of nightlies in Ubuntu 8.04 (with latest kernel updates). I have the ability to test under quite a wide variety of platforms and environments due to the number of computers I personally posess and have access to. I can test single-core, dual-core, quad-core, dual-cpu, AGP graphics, PCI-E graphics, ATI, NVIDIA, Windows (XP, 2003, 2008, Vista), Linux (Ubuntu). I edit video for some clients, so I can test various video formats as well.

This report is for the following computer:
Mainboard: Foxconn X38A Intel X38
CPU: Core 2 Quad 6600 (usually overclocked to 3.0, sometimes as high as 3.6)
Memory: 4x1GB Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 (currently at 1000 5-5-5-18)
Hard Drive: 500 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 21 SATA in AHCI mode.
DVD: LG Super-Multi with LightScribe
Video: PNY XLR8 NVidia GTX260
Video driver: NVidia driver 177.82 for Linux 64-bit

VLC Build: vlc-snapshot-20081129.tar.bz2

Configure and Compile went OK. Contact me if you want outputs. My Q6600 can configure pretty quickly.
I played my folder containing a full-file DVD-rip of The Matrix (I own the DVD and created the files using DVDFab5)
Sound: The A/52 support is working perfectly. I get:
a52 decoder: A/52 channels:7 samplerate:48000 bitrate:384000
The audio is properly decoded by my processor.
Video: I can run in X11 mode. If I use OpenGL mode, it gives me a segmentation fault as soon as I try to play video.
Have some problems. At the default aspect, the video is compressed into the left 4/5 of the window and there was just black space in the right 1/5. Resizing the window made no difference. When I attempted to go fullscreen it worked, but the stdout showed:
X11 request 42.0 failed with error code 8: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
When in fullscreen, the video only occupied the upper-left quarter of the screen and continued to look squished. Now, when I switched aspect to 16:10, it filled the screen, but I could tell it was slightly stretched. The same effect occurs if you use a HDMI-DVI converter to hook your cable box to a widescreen 16:10 monitor. It is a 16:9 image, but it stretches to 16:10. Slight, but noticable.
If I switch to 4:3, it letterboxes in both axes, but still looks stretched vertically.
If I try to resize the window while playing I get a segmentation fault.

Also, what happened to the feature that allows you to play a folder containing DVD files as if it were a DVD? When I first used VLC (version 0.8.6), if I used "Open Directory", it would start up the menus and play the right tracks seamlessly. Now it just plays the VOB files, sometimes starting with the special features. In fact, a lot of times it will play the French audio track because they switch the audio tracks on each of the VOBs in an attempt to discourage copying. Kind of funny seeing the Merovingian, who has a French accent, move his mouth in English and speak in French.

Let me know if there are any other platforms that need testing, because as I said, I can test on a lot of different platforms.
You are very useful, and that is more and more rare those days...

What happens if you use XV vide output?
Can you try with and without video embedded in the interface?
What is your VLC git version?

About VIDEO_TS, you should still be able to add it through the open folder, at least for 0.9.5 and over.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

zlorenzini
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zlorenzini » 01 Dec 2008 06:16

Well now this is kind of strange. It doesn't matter if I turn embedding on or off. It shows up in a separate window no matter what I do. And I know the difference because normally I keep the video embedded.

I got the following output last time:

VLC media player 1.0.0-git Goldeneye
[0x60b8d0] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 1.0.0-git Goldeneye - (c) 1996-2008 the VideoLAN team
[0x60b8d0] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure
[0x60b8d0] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
[0x60b8d0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0x60c490] main interface error: option dvdnav-caching does not exist
[0x7fdce8016250] main input error: ES_OUT_RESET_PCR called
[0xa4a310] a52 decoder: A/52 channels:7 samplerate:48000 bitrate:384000
[????????] x11 video output error: X11 request 42.0 failed with error code 8:
BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
[????????] x11 video output error: X11 request 42.0 failed with error code 8:
BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

One thing I did try was resizing the video window to see if I got the segmentation fault. But what happened is that as I was resizing, I saw the image flicker. At most sizes, I would get the squished video that was the size it started out at no matter what the window size was, but there were some magical sizes at which suddenly it scaled correctly and filled the window. I found one that would stick and it seemed to work. The only problem was that right after Trinity kicked the police officer in the face, the video suddenly froze. No errors, but I noticed on my system monitor that one of my cores was stuck at 100% usage.

For comparison, I played the DivX file I made out of the movie. At startup, the aspect ratio was correct. On resizing, I had the same issue, where at some sizes the video would remain at its initial size inside a black background, while at others it would fill the window, but it would always scale correctly. Now one thing I know about video is that DVD video requires aspect ratio correction at the decoder level, whereas a DivX file has the anamorphic correction done while it is being re-encoded, thus eliminating the aspect issue. It just occurred to me that the squishing factor I just described is the result of displaying the video at 720x480 even though VLC draws the box at 848x480 to accomodate it. I also get the BadMatch errors - one when I try to go to fullscreen, and one when I come back from fullscreen.

Results with different video options:
Video Memory Module:
[0x22a5640] vmem video output error: Invalid lock or unlock callbacks
[0x22a5640] main video output error: video output creation failed
[0x8fbd10] main decoder error: failed to create video output

Framebuffer output:
[0x1b8e5c0] fb video output error: cannot get terminal mode (Invalid argument)
Then it just went to X11 output in a separate window.

OpenGL output:
Segmentation fault. Quit immediately.

YUV video output:
No errors, but no video. I could still hear the sound play.

X11 with acceleration turned off: Same result. Couldn't tell the difference.

Also, the segmentation fault occurs if I try to resize the window to a size smaller than original.

I hope all of this helps. Let me know if you want me to recompile and give you Configure/Make outputs.

zlorenzini
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zlorenzini » 01 Dec 2008 06:31

Oh, forgot to mention: I don't have XV as an option. Nor can I select GLX, even though I have a configuration page for it.

roytam1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby roytam1 » 13 Feb 2009 02:09

sorry for bumping that but nightlies.videolan.org seems down.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 13 Feb 2009 02:12

Yes this is known (use forum search):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=55112

If you want to test a new dev build of 1.0.0-git:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=55755

Arite.