SoundSpectrum music visualizations and VLC

Want to help the VideoLAN project? Designers, testers, translators, please come...
This is NOT about GETTING some help.
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post VLC usage related questions.
andy55
New Cone
New Cone

SoundSpectrum music visualizations and VLC

Postby andy55 » 06 Dec 2011 00:51

Hey guys,

I'm chief engineer at SoundSpectrum and we make audio visualization plugins for iTunes and Windows Media Player and we're looking into supporting VLC in that we'd make our visuals available for VLC as a plugin. We've been making high quality visuals for several years now, and we're one of the few companies out there that specialize in "hands-off" that have seen a lot of success (feel free to check out our software at soundspectrum.com). G-Force and Aeon are two of our premiere products that we think the VLC community would love to be able to use from within VLC.

Anyway, it'd be great to make contact with a couple of the senior VLC devs and get a feel for their level of interest. They wouldn't need to do any work, but it's key to get our hands on a either a sample VLC vis plugin project or at least get pointed to where VLC's visual API is located and an overview of its operation.

Thanks,
Andy O'Meara

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: SoundSpectrum music visualizations and VLC

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Dec 2011 01:54

Please, mail me.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

andy55
New Cone
New Cone

Postby andy55 » 02 Oct 2024 18:44

Blast from the past! :D

Back in the saddle here and ready to bring G-Force to VLC! Happy to message whomever, but we can speedrun this if someone can just paste some links to the right headers and / or example vis project and I should be good to go.

The G-Force engine can render to a CPU side buffer (no GPU), OGL (mac, windows), and DirectX9 (windows). If I have a sample project that builds, I would happily turn this around in a week and it'd be my pleasure to hook up all the dev volunteers that the leadership tell me to send licenses to. Please DM or drop links here or lmk where to find you/

We have a golden opportunity here given this disgrace from our friends in Redmond:

https://www.soundspectrum.com/g-force/D ... acy_broken

TLDR is that visuals have been broken in Windows Media Player for over a year now, and MS is clueless on how many people they are pissing off with this. I've been fielding support tickets for several months now with from really pissed and frustrated customers that I would *love* to send to VLC instead. The number of people asking me to support VLC is growing and so the time has home. G-Force already builds for modern macOS and Windows so I just need the above and I can whip this out.

Ready to go!

Andy

andy55
New Cone
New Cone

Postby andy55 » 02 Oct 2024 19:27

UPDATE:

Ok, I found `vlc\modules\visualization` and feeling more comfortable, with the exception of understanding a build workflow:

It seems that I need to either:
(a) use existing VLC build scripts for my own Mac and Windows builds. As far as I can tell, that means I would either need to consume some vlc glue that lets a plugin easily load on VLC startup, or
(b) get my hands on an existing stand-alone vis dll sample project that builds outside of the vlc repo (VSCode, cmake, Xcode, or MSVC) -- e.g. a build flow used by Winamp visuals back in the day.

Trying to wrap my head around the easiest / smallest way put my VLC glue into production -- apologize if I'm missing something dumb. I am trying to avoid being dependent on more than `vlc\modules\visualization\visual\*`

Is it the case that (a) can be done without dependencies beyond core C/C++ includes? Ideally, I'd like to use cmake to maintain my builds. Anyone interested in being part of this is more than welcome to support these efforts -- their familiarly with the vlc repo and build system would be super helpful.

Thanks,
Andy

Return to “Contribute and help the VideoLAN project”