! VLC Appreciation Thread

Want to help the VideoLAN project? Designers, testers, translators, please come...
This is NOT about GETTING some help.
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post VLC usage related questions.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: ! VLC Appreciation Thread

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 01 Mar 2018 05:41

Beside all that been said here and what a beast VLC is, I want to thank you, that from version VLC 3.0.0 there is no problem with playing and seeking in AAC files downloaded from YouTube.

Files are in DASH format and MP4 packed, previous VLC had problems with them. Now I don't have to remux them. Thank you.
Cool :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

bettydalton
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bettydalton » 09 Mar 2018 15:24

I love it !

Just new here at this forum. And I just wanted to say that I havent found a better video player than Vlc. I have been able to enjoy so many great movies using this software that I wanna thank all those who made this great piece of software!

Recently I changed to another version of Linux and I got some screentearing. One short search on this forum and I had perfect smooth videoplayback again !

I recently watched the magnificent movie "Alien" (without screentearing) and although "Alien" has got a lot of shaky camerawork, there are also a lot of scenes in which the camera glides through the hallways of this empty scifi spaceship, and with those scenes in particular I am glad that this Vlc forum exists. Because thanks to some simple tips on this forum I can enjoy all my movies in perfect quality!
Nobody on the Linux forum knew what to do about the screen tearing. The guys and girls overhere did know. Thanks !

And try out "Alien" if you can.... That is the mother of all sci fi movies.... :D

Daniel275
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Daniel275 » 23 Mar 2018 12:01

Just registered an account and was about to post a thank-you thread but I see it's already been made :wink:

Big shoutout to all the contributors to the VLC project, love it! I've used VLC on my desktops/laptops for years and since a week or so I found out there's an Android app as well. I went looking for it since Android's default app "Play Music" (what it's called these days) has started sucking epically. It keeps asking me to connect my account and sync --please stay polite-- and whatnot when all I want a MUSIC PLAYER to do is to PLAY AND NAVIGATE MUSIC on the device. VLC does just that. And I don't have to think about codecs and all the bullcrap unlike with for example Apple's iTunes which stubbornly does not support FLAC, just ALAC. I used to convert with XLD but honestly the process is just tiring and I'd much prefer my media player to just consume about anything I throw at it. Again, VLC does just that.

THANK YOU

Whateverman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Whateverman » 13 Jun 2018 21:57

Given the amount of time I've used VLC, and that I'm currently receiving some support/feedback from the developers - THANK YOU / MERCI.

This is a great app. It works on my TV, my PC and my tablet. I install it almost as soon as I power up a brand new device. I've donated a little money in the past, and will do so again in the near future, because an app this popular/useful is rare.

titoj
New Cone
New Cone

Postby titoj » 24 Aug 2018 13:16

A long-overdue fan letter.

I've fooled around with apps like Kodi and OSMC and while I appreciate the concept of a "10-foot" view of my media library, there are just too many glitches and bugs workarounds and inconsistencies in the documentation to make such apps suitable for playing media -- even more so for my wife, who tends to think that clicking the mouse or remote harder or many times in a row will solve a problem. :D

So while I'm still looking around for a media organizer that will let me sort media and browse through what's there from across the room, criterion 1 is that such an app will let me click on a movie and have it open in VLC. Until I find it, Explorer and Magnifier will serve. Your media player just works, and even the finer points seem intuitive and easy to tune. I've had amazingly few problems, and when there is one, the forum is active and helpful. You folks have done an stunning job, and I am very grateful for all your hard work.

nicolaos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nicolaos » 14 Sep 2018 12:39

It's my turn to truly thank you for VLC 3.0.4.

I want to be honest, and before version 3, I was cosnsidering VLC extremely mediocre ( was using Pot Player ). Now that supports D3D11 Output and D3D11 Hardware Acceleration it's so amazing that even utilitizes a slightly less resources than Movies & TV app. Although I suspect not using DXVA-HD resizer might be the culprit for that, but anyway. I also took the time to disable everything I don't ever use or need. Thanks again.

I Hope one day with some kind of miracle we'll get DX12 features wherever might be applicable. Hardware Acceleration, Output or anything. But I'm truly down to earth and know DX12 requires extreme skills and a lot of work. So, I think it will remain a wishful thinking.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 29 Sep 2018 22:11

It's my turn to truly thank you for VLC 3.0.4.

I want to be honest, and before version 3, I was cosnsidering VLC extremely mediocre ( was using Pot Player ). Now that supports D3D11 Output and D3D11 Hardware Acceleration it's so amazing that even utilitizes a slightly less resources than Movies & TV app. Although I suspect not using DXVA-HD resizer might be the culprit for that, but anyway. I also took the time to disable everything I don't ever use or need. Thanks again.

I Hope one day with some kind of miracle we'll get DX12 features wherever might be applicable. Hardware Acceleration, Output or anything. But I'm truly down to earth and know DX12 requires extreme skills and a lot of work. So, I think it will remain a wishful thinking.

We will bring a better resizer in 4.0.

However, so far, I've not seen anything that would improve quality in DX12. That might change, in the future.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

TonyL
New Cone
New Cone

Changes between 2.2.8 and 3.0.0 :Qt interface: Batch convert support

Postby TonyL » 11 Nov 2018 12:32

I had just updated my version to 3.0.4
So much other work is done I can see, so thanks for all that. Sincere gratitude to whomever was involved in working on this particular addition to our ease of usage of VLC media player. I wonder just how long in hours it had taken.
A gap in the interface seemingly crying out to be filled in.

Well done.

vinabluetech
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vinabluetech » 13 Feb 2019 10:31

Thank you very much !
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I have recently downloaded VLC after a few months hiatus. Originally I was told on these forums that VLC couldn't play 3GP files with sound & vision, & could only play vision. However, this recent release CAN play sound & vision. It is far better than using QuickTime, which is anything but 'quick'.to all those who have written and contributed to VLC! I also am very grateful for the source code. I'm a software engineering student and having some real source code to look at is very helpful!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Feb 2019 10:50

Thank you very much !
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I have recently downloaded VLC after a few months hiatus. Originally I was told on these forums that VLC couldn't play 3GP files with sound & vision, & could only play vision. However, this recent release CAN play sound & vision. It is far better than using QuickTime, which is anything but 'quick'.to all those who have written and contributed to VLC! I also am very grateful for the source code. I'm a software engineering student and having some real source code to look at is very helpful!
Cool!
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

ScubaMan1970
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: ChromeOS, Windows 7

Postby ScubaMan1970 » 15 Aug 2019 21:37

I contributed $20 (?) to the VLC project a few years back when I started using VLC on my Windows PC. How To Geek showcased the program and I got on board. The Windows version of VLC is more feature-rich than the one that I use on my 1.5year old Chromebook (that runs Android applications). Still, it's a dandy cross-platform program that gives Foobar and Windows Media Player a run for its money. Hmm, perhaps it's time for me to plunk down some more money to help keep this project alive.
To the VLC production team: thank you for offering 'us' a solid multimedia tool.
Sincerely,
ScubaMan, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. August 15, 2019.

{{{{edit = I'm going to give VLC-for-Android another try for my audiophile rig. Or, fire up another laptop running MintOS and use VLC to feed my DAC}}}}}

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 19 Nov 2019 15:10

{{{{edit = I'm going to give VLC-for-Android another try for my audiophile rig. Or, fire up another laptop running MintOS and use VLC to feed my DAC}}}}}
VLC 4.0 will have better audio quality, including on Android for your audiophile rig.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

tehbilbo79
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tehbilbo79 » 30 May 2020 18:04

Great job VideoLAN! Been a user for a few years, but only now created an account, with hopes to contribute (support) your product. I cannot find link though.

If there is some method (or link) to donate, please let me know.

In the meantime, great work!

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 31 May 2020 08:16

If there is some method (or link) to donate, please let me know.

https://www.videolan.org/contribute.html#money

geematic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby geematic » 11 Aug 2020 10:21

Absolutely brilliant player!
One of the best pieces of open source software around. Feel bad using it for so long without saying a thanks to the creator(s).

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Oct 2020 10:14

Absolutely brilliant player!
One of the best pieces of open source software around. Feel bad using it for so long without saying a thanks to the creator(s).

Thanks.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

incogitatus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby incogitatus » 22 Jun 2021 20:48

THANK YOU, VLC! I have been using VLC since 2010, and have never ever ever had any unsolvable issues. I'm looking forward to version 4.0 (especially for no-gap playback)! Enjoy the monero :wink:

Robert759
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Robert759 » 28 Apr 2022 22:17

Thanks to the VLC development team, you are geniuses

JBS[XOM]
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.14 Ventari
Operating System: Windows

Postby JBS[XOM] » 21 May 2022 05:57

I can imagine so many applications of this software, it can save lives.

aguntuk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aguntuk » 25 May 2024 17:34

Been using VLC for about two decades - first in windows and then in linux. The best free opensource and versatile media player around. Thanks to all members of the VideoLAN team for a wonderful experience.

kevinofdawoods
New Cone
New Cone

Re: ! VLC Appreciation Thread Kudos for 3.0.21 for Mac

Postby kevinofdawoods » 01 Aug 2024 16:08

Just a quick note of thanks.

We use VLC for 24/7 video playback on a cable channel for a decade now, and I've always needed to restart it every two or three days as it would leak memory. The latest update has almost eliminated that. I see VLC accumulating a bit more memory, but I'll bet I could run it for a month without restarting now.

:D

Return to “Contribute and help the VideoLAN project”