Veetle, VLC and Licence

Want to help the VideoLAN project? Designers, testers, translators, please come...
This is NOT about GETTING some help.
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post VLC usage related questions.
ddv
New Cone
New Cone

Veetle, VLC and Licence

Postby ddv » 24 Nov 2009 10:22

Hi

I have started using the video site http://www.veetle.com great site, and great quality plus multi platform. Since I use Linux it's also better because flash sucks in Linux. The only thing you have to do is install a plugin in my browser, which make you seed the video back. Cool.

I had a problem with sound in Linux, and watch a video on my Windows machine and I started to wonder, both system seems sometimes to identify the plugin as being the VLC player. I then unpacked the windows installer and the player in the plugin is some kind of vlc player. The same in Linux.

This made me wonder since I had to agree to a licence which I thought was not true to the GPL licence that I mean VLC is licenced under.

The licence among other things said:
  • You may install, use, access, display and run the Software, on a single computer, workstation or terminal ("Computer") for your personal use only. The primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed may make a second copy for his or her exclusive use for archival purposes only.

You must, however, acquire a license for each separate Computer on which the Software is run, displayed or utilized from the server or similar device. A license for the Software may not be shared or used concurrently on different Computers.

You may not reverse engineer, de-compile, disassemble, alter, duplicate, modify, rent, lease, loan, sublicense, make copies of, create derivative works from, distribute or provide others with the Software in whole or part, transmit or communicate the application over a network.
I thought that you had to publicise the code in GPL when you use GPL code? I do not see VLC mentioned any where on there site and cannot find any source code, not that I could use it, since I am not a programmer.

Am I completely wrong, because then I am sorry to have raised the subject, and as I said I really like the service. I just like the license thing to be in order

EDIT: Forgot to say I have emailed them and have not got an answer jet

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Veetle, VLC and Licence

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Nov 2009 11:42

We have contacted Veetle, and they are in the process of fixing this issue.
They will give you the source code. If they don't, please mail me and I will escalate the issue.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “Contribute and help the VideoLAN project”