What can the ActiveX control do?

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
guy.joseph
New Cone
New Cone

What can the ActiveX control do?

Postby guy.joseph » 05 Jan 2010 19:41

Hi

I found the ActiveX control avaliable with VLC media player yesterday and started having a play with it.

I'm currently developing a program to play sound effects to a cue for a theatre. I need two players, that can be faded, panned and load tracks quickly, and above all are stable! I use Microsoft Visual Basic Express 2008, and I have very little knowledge of other languages than VB!

I realise that there is no GUI with the plugin, but I wonder if some of the following things are possible (and if they are, any advice on how I go about doing it would be appreciated!):
  • Playing sound to different hardware outputs - on my current computer I have a soundcard with 4 stereo outputs, each recognised by windows as a different device. For example I want player 1 to play to device 1, player 2 play to device 2.

Effects and Equalization (I know this can be done in the normal VLC player)

Packiging the ActiveX control with my distribution - do I need to include anything else or credits?

Showing a VU (volume) meter - I have a control that functions as a nice meter, I just need some way of joining it to the output of the player
I think that's everything. If anyone has and ideas for how I can make this happen, or another alternative, that would be great!

Thanks very much

Guy Joseph

whome
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: What can the ActiveX control do?

Postby whome » 29 Mar 2010 19:17

I think ActiveX plugin is not an answer, it have a very very limited interface. I don't know if there is VB header files available. Most people here probably use C/C++/C#/Java, minority use Delphi. Header files are ported to those languages so VLC is fully exposed. ActiveX interface is not a full representation of vlc engine.

topteks
New Cone
New Cone

ActiveX plugin C# Vu Meter

Postby topteks » 07 Apr 2016 00:29

Is there any way to access the Vu Meter with the ActiveX plugin. I have written a C# application that uses the ActiveX plugin and works great, however, I need to add functionality to display a meter showing the volume levels. If the ActiveX control cannot accommodate, any other suggestions?

Return to “Web and scripting”