How to specify plugins folder using ActiveX control?

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
corvusvideo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How to specify plugins folder using ActiveX control?

Postby corvusvideo » 12 May 2008 17:16

I am using the ActiveX control and it works fine, the only problem I have is that I would like to not need to copy the "plugins" folder into the executable directory of my application all the time. Does anyone know how to set the plugins folder path?

I tried....

Code: Select all

string[] options = new string[] { ":no-overlay", ":drop-late-frames", @":plugin-path=c:\Progra~1\VideoLan\VLC\plugins" }; axVLCPlugin21.playlist.add(filePath, @" ", options);
but no luck. I also added it to the command line just to see if the control might pick it up from there, also no good. It seems that plugins may already be loaded at this point and I need to set it in the constructor somehow. Is there a registry setting maybe? Any other Ideas?

Thanks....

corvusvideo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: How to specify plugins folder using ActiveX control?

Postby corvusvideo » 22 May 2008 13:41

OK, I have tried the following with no success....

1) Calling "Directory.SetCurrentDirectory(....)" to the directory containing the plugins folder prior to playing a video
2) Setting HKLM\Software\VideoLAN\VLC\InstallDir to point to my install location
3) Setting HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\AXVLC.dll to point to the copy in my installed location.
4) Changing the "PATH" environment variable to include the location of the plugins folder
5) Adding switches to my command line of my app hoping the control would pick them up.
6) Watching with REGMON to see if I could see any registry read attempt that looked promissing.

Surely SOMEONE must know how to do this, or at the very least can tell me that it can not be done so that I can give up :(

Any help?!?!?! Please !!!!!!

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9.8a & 1.0-git
Operating System: GNU/Linux Fedora10

Postby thannoy » 22 May 2008 14:51

I have maybe a similar problem, my ActiveX and Firefox plugin can't find plugins which result in "looking for * module : 0 candidates" (vlc-git-0.9.0 ).
Sorry, I will not be of any help. But if you find a workaround I will be glad to get it :)

corvusvideo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby corvusvideo » 05 Jun 2008 13:51

For those who have similar issue, I would suggest biting the bullet and learning the libvlc API. It allows this and many many other things not possible using the ActiveX wrapper. If you are developing managed code have a look at the C# thread in this forum. It is well worth the time it takes to learn the API.

Many many thanks to Odysee and Tappen for their efforts. The resulting control and interop wrappers are excellent learning tools :!:

Return to “Web and scripting”