HTTP Streaming Help

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
Red49er
New Cone
New Cone

HTTP Streaming Help

Postby Red49er » 08 Apr 2008 02:25

I've searched a dozen times and been unable to find an answer to my problem, so if its been answered, please forgive me ;)

I'm trying to stream using the web (http) interface, but it only plays on the local machine. I've looked into the default stream output chain, but I don't want it to be tied to a specific IP address. (I want to access my local machine from a variety of other machines on the net). Is there something I'm missing to force VLC to stream? The messages log usually just says that the audio output is starving, but no real errors.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Chris

dx
New Cone
New Cone

Re: HTTP Streaming Help

Postby dx » 08 Apr 2008 02:30

Have you remembered to open the port you're using? You can check it at http://whatsmyip.org/ports/

Here's the advanced streaming settings I use:

Play locally (optional)
HTTP Don't enter any ip, you must specify a port
Video codec mp4v 768 kbit
Audio codec mp3 128kbit mono
(I have 2mbit upload but it seems to lag if I set streaming to any higher)

Play you video - that worked for me. But remember to open ports in your router, windows firewall, etc.

Red49er
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Red49er » 08 Apr 2008 10:19

Yes, my ports are open -- I can access the interface fine. And I'm only trying to get audio (for the record, when trying to play video, it doesn't open up a video window, so I get neither video nor audio, but I'm not interested in getting video working atm)
Would you mind posting your html file? Are you using a .access file?

dx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dx » 08 Apr 2008 17:39

No HTML file is needed to stream through HTTP, it's just a protocol

Red49er
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Red49er » 08 Apr 2008 19:30

Hmm, I'm confused. I'm using Settings->Add Interface->Web Interface, which uses the html file in the VideoLan/VLC/HTTP folder. Thats what I access when I go to myip:8080; I can hardcode the streaming settings there I believe, but I'm just not sure what settings I want since I can't get it to work using the stream options in the web interface.

Edit: I got it working, I had to point the host to the client. I'd like to find a way to do this without having to tell the host where its broadcasting to (the only solution I've come up with is multicast, which isn't ideal for my application), so if anyone has any ideas on that, help is welcome :)

Return to “Web and scripting”