overlay xul elements over mozilla plugin

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
luca
New Cone
New Cone

overlay xul elements over mozilla plugin

Postby luca » 31 Jan 2007 15:51

Hello all. I'm working on a media player application. The GUI is written in XUL with JavaScript. At the moment I'm developing it as a Firefox extension on windows, although the eventual goal is to run it as a multi-platform XULRunner application.

I'd like to display XUL boxes on top of the VLC plugin element (to create an OSD with controls). I thought I'd be able to do so with a <stack> element, so I tried

Code: Select all

<stack id="player_stack" > <html:embed type="application/x-vlc-plugin" pluginspage="http://www.videolan.org" version="VideoLAN.VLCPlugin.2" width="640" height="480" id="vlc"/> <hbox id="menu" pack="center"> <vbox pack="center"> <description>top</description> </vbox> </hbox> </stack>
However, the VLC plugin covers the menu, even though the stack should place it below. I've tried the same code but replacing the html:embed with a normal XUL box and the stack worked as expected.

Any ideas about how I could get the XUL elements to display on top of the VLC plugin? (or why it's impossible, if that's the case)

Thanks in advance.

Luca

Quovodis
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Quovodis » 01 Feb 2007 10:57

this is unfortunately a limitation of the mozilla plugin architecture (especially on windows).

Return to “Web and scripting”