Timecode, Tivo-style controls

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
mcgredo

Timecode, Tivo-style controls

Postby mcgredo » 09 May 2006 00:56

We're looking at using VLC for a project. We need to be able to extract the equivalent of the timecode from the video when the user hits a button on the web page, and combine this with other information on the web page to send to a server. Is this possible? Ideally I'd like to use the mozilla plugin.

nw42
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Timecode...

Postby nw42 » 26 May 2006 18:58

oh yes! - is there a way to get back frame accurate timecode falues???

this would be very useful...

Danko

KevinP
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KevinP » 02 Jun 2006 09:51

Actually it's not possible, because vlc doesn't know what a frame is. It's knowing it only when it would be displayed.

I try to make a pluging that is able to get possition of snapshot but the mater is that the time i m getting back it 's not accurate, And to be able to have a better accuracy, the vlc timestamp of a video would have to be modified. And it would be a hard work, and I don't know if the dev team, want to do it.

So actully I changed the player I am modifing, And I m working with ffplay (wich came with ffmpeg) it's more acurate, The only thing I have to do is to make the plugin for mozilla and debug a lite bit the player.

kaanuki

Postby kaanuki » 03 Jun 2006 01:22

I'm somewhere between a novice and an intermmediate programmer. Having said this, over the years I have become pretty proficient and finding shortcuts / "easy-ways-out" to accomplish various tasks form my software development needs.

There are a couple of programs that you can use with vlc to get the information you want. AUTOMATE (not free, but EXCELLENT piece of software with a GUI interface) & AUTO IT (a FREE/open-source version that is script-based-No GUI). The biggest difference is that though AUTOMATE is simpler to use initially, the free AUTOIT allows you to create .exe,.dll, acive-x, com objects, etc, which allows you to incorporate into your scripts and programs. I LOVE AUTOIT!

Both of them come with a Window inforfation tool that can read all of the information on a programs UI, including the "timecode values" (even if the windows are hidden). They would definitely be able to detect the time code value, and even execute an event when the time reaches a certain value...

AUTOMATE - http://www.unisyn.com/
AUTO IT - http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/

-kaanuki-

moroccanmusic

Mozilla active x plugins

Postby moroccanmusic » 09 Jul 2006 17:26

[quote="mcgredo"]We're looking at using VLC for a project. We need to be able to extract the equivalent of the timecode from the video when the user hits a button on the web page, and combine this with other information on the web page to send to a server. Is this possible? Ideally I'd like to use the mozilla plugin.[/quote]

Return to “Web and scripting”