3.x AxVLC distribution dependencies

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
truth
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

3.x AxVLC distribution dependencies

Postby truth » 20 Jan 2018 07:51

We are using a nightly build of VLC and AxVLC in our VB6 application. I have observed that the standalone installer of VLC Media Player on Windows now includes a plugins folder and no longer has a locale folder in the Program Files installation folder. Since there is no up-to-date documentation, through trial and error I was able to make an MSI with InstallShield Express that includes what appears to be all the correct dependencies and voila, our application installs and runs correctly. Here is the list of files that I include: axvlc.dll (self-register), libvlc.dll, libvlccore.dll and the complete plugins sub-folder.

The issue is that the plugins sub-folder is 700+MB in size. We would like to eliminate the size of this folder by removing anything and everything that is not compltely necessary.

In broad strokes, what is contained in the plugins folder? A simply but complete listing would suffice. Are there files and/or folders that could be eliminated that perhaps pertain strickly to the Media Player and are not required by the ActiveX component?

da2424
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: 3.x AxVLC distribution dependencies

Postby da2424 » 20 Jan 2018 16:22

In the plugins folder are stored all codecs, output modules and many more which VLC needs to work.

You can delete the gui subfolder, because these modules are not needed for the web plugins. It's possible that some other plugins are not needed, too (like lua), but I haven't tested it yet.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Jan 2018 19:42

The issue is that the plugins sub-folder is 700+MB in size. We would like to eliminate the size of this folder by removing anything and everything that is not compltely necessary.
You've used a debug version and not a release version. plugins subfolder shouldn't be > 80MB
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

truth
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby truth » 22 Jan 2018 09:35

You've used a debug version and not a release version. plugins subfolder shouldn't be > 80MB
This is great news. We are stuck with the debug version at the moment until our tests are finished, then we will deploy with the release version, so that will lighten the load.
I'll remove the gui folder (that was my first guess) and then test lua and report back.

truth
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby truth » 25 Jan 2018 07:36

I wanted to feedback after my tests.
I created a new InstallShield installer without the gui and lua subfolders in the plugins folder. As far as I can tell, AxVLC worked correctly without experiencing any problems at all.

This is good enough for now. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Web and scripting”