Documentation on VLC ActiveX

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
MRTrevorF
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Documentation on VLC ActiveX

Postby MRTrevorF » 08 Nov 2005 03:10

I've got VLC ActiveX up and running as a component and am now looking into implementing it. Very exciting for me :) I can't find much documentation on the site or the forum beyond files relating to the HTML implementation of the component. Most of the keywords line up fairly well, but I was hoping for some clarification. Following are the methods and properties that I isolated as belonging specifically to this component. Where I have them, my questions are marked in bold:

AddTarget(uri As String, options As Object, mode As AXVLC.VLCPlaylistMode, position As Integer)
- uri = path to desired file
- Must be "Nothing" right now
- mode = Append, AppendAndGo, CheckInsert, Insert, InsertAndGo, Replace, ReplaceAndGo

AutoLoop() As Boolean
- true = movie will loop endlessly
This doesn't seem to do anything...??? True or False I get one play through only

AutoPlay() As Boolean
- true = file will begin playing once it is loaded by default

CtlVisible() As Boolean
- ???
No idea what this is - in the Design view of VB.NET setting this to false takes away the pylon in the form, but the pylon is still present when I run the program

DoVerb(verb As Integer)
- ???
What is this?

fullscreen()
- sets movie to Full Screen Mode

getVariable(name As String) As Object
- ???
What is this?

Hide()
- hides object from user

Length() As Integer
- Read Only property - the length of the movie, in seconds

MRL() As String
- the path of the file currently being played Is this correct?

pause()
- pause movie

play()
- play movie

playFaster()
- play movie twice as fast as current speed.
By my examination, 8x is the fastest...?

Playing() as Boolean
- returns True if object is playing a movie.
This always returns True, whether something is playing or not?!?

playlistClear()
- Clears the object's play list

playlistCount() As Integer
- Read Only property, the number of items in the playlist

playlistIndex() As Integer
- Read Only property, the index of the currently selected playlist

playlistNext()
- play next item in the playlist

playlistPrev()
- play previous item in the playlist

playSlower()
- play movie half as fast as current speed
By my examination, 0.13x is the slowest...?

Position() As Single
- ???
This seems to be some decimal value corresponding to the Time() value

Scale(ratio As Single)
- method to increase or decrease size of viewer relative to its current size

setVariable(name As String, value As Object)
- ???
What is this?

Show()
- displays control to user

ShowAboutBox()
- displays the control's About page
This doens't seem to do anything

ShowPropertyPages()
- displays the control's Property page
This doens't seem to do anything

shuttle(Seconds as Integer)
- ???
What is this?

Stop()
- stops movie

Time() As Integer
- Get or Set the current location in the movie, in seconds

toggleMute()
- Switch Mute On and Off

VersionInfo() As String
- ??? I haven't tested this, but can guess what it does/should do

Volume() As Integer
- set or get the volume of the object Range(0-200)

Finally, is there an area devoted to these types of questions, or are they fine in this forum? I don't want to be taking up space in the wrong place.

Also, I'm using 0.8.5 BETA - perhaps that isn't the best one to be experimenting with, or is it stable??

Regards,

jared1999
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jared1999 » 11 Nov 2005 15:10

You didn't specify where you found the methods, but to be precise the list can be found in vlccontrol.h:

Code: Select all

// IVLCControl methods STDMETHODIMP play(void); STDMETHODIMP get_Visible(VARIANT_BOOL *visible); STDMETHODIMP put_Visible(VARIANT_BOOL visible); STDMETHODIMP pause(void); STDMETHODIMP stop(void); STDMETHODIMP get_Playing(VARIANT_BOOL *isPlaying); STDMETHODIMP get_Position(float *position); STDMETHODIMP put_Position(float position); STDMETHODIMP get_Time(int *seconds); STDMETHODIMP put_Time(int seconds); STDMETHODIMP shuttle(int seconds); STDMETHODIMP fullscreen(); STDMETHODIMP get_Length(int *seconds); STDMETHODIMP playFaster(void); STDMETHODIMP playSlower(void); STDMETHODIMP get_Volume(int *volume); STDMETHODIMP put_Volume(int volume); STDMETHODIMP toggleMute(void); STDMETHODIMP setVariable( BSTR name, VARIANT value); STDMETHODIMP getVariable( BSTR name, VARIANT *value); STDMETHODIMP addTarget( BSTR uri, VARIANT options, enum VLCPlaylistMode mode, int position); STDMETHODIMP get_PlaylistIndex(int *index); STDMETHODIMP get_PlaylistCount(int *count); STDMETHODIMP playlistNext(void); STDMETHODIMP playlistPrev(void); STDMETHODIMP playlistClear(void); STDMETHODIMP get_VersionInfo(BSTR *version); STDMETHODIMP get_MRL(BSTR *mrl); STDMETHODIMP put_MRL(BSTR mrl); STDMETHODIMP get_AutoLoop(VARIANT_BOOL *autoloop); STDMETHODIMP put_AutoLoop(VARIANT_BOOL autoloop); STDMETHODIMP get_AutoPlay(VARIANT_BOOL *autoplay); STDMETHODIMP put_AutoPlay(VARIANT_BOOL autoplay);
Sorry but I can't help you with your questions. I'm also struggling with a problem myself regarding how to switch audio and subtitle tracks in the activex control on the fly. I'm guessing it involves using setVariable() but I have no idea what variables are available, or where in the source I can find them. Any help is most appreciated.

Pflaume
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pflaume » 11 Nov 2005 17:33

to switch the audio track:

X = VLC.getVariable("key-audio-track")
VLC.setVariable "key-pressed", X

to switch the subtitle:
X = VLC.getVariable("key-subtitle-track")
VLC.setVariable "key-pressed", X

Postby Guest » 13 Nov 2005 00:37

Do you know how to obtain the same ting as Vlc launch options:
"--http-charset=ISO-8859-1 --sout="#std" --sout-standard-access=udp --sout-standard-mux=ts --sout-standard-url=212.27.38.253:1234 --sout-ts-pid-video=68 --sout-ts-pid-audio=69 --sout-ts-pid-spu=70 --sout-ts-pcr=80 --sout-ts-dts-delay=400 --subsdec-encoding=ISO-8859-1 --sout-transcode-maxwidth=720 --sout-transcode-maxheight=576 --wx-systray"
with Active X,
It seems i ought to use Set/Get parameters so "sout-standard-access" for exemple doesn't work.

Postby Guest » 13 Nov 2005 00:37

Do you know how to obtain the same thing as Vlc launch options:
"--http-charset=ISO-8859-1 --sout="#std" --sout-standard-access=udp --sout-standard-mux=ts --sout-standard-url=212.27.38.253:1234 --sout-ts-pid-video=68 --sout-ts-pid-audio=69 --sout-ts-pid-spu=70 --sout-ts-pcr=80 --sout-ts-dts-delay=400 --subsdec-encoding=ISO-8859-1 --sout-transcode-maxwidth=720 --sout-transcode-maxheight=576 --wx-systray"
with Active X,
It seems i ought to use Set/Get parameters so "sout-standard-access" for exemple doesn't work.

jared1999
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jared1999 » 18 Nov 2005 13:32

@Pflaume:
Thanks! It works nicely. But what if I want to set a track directly? In my setup I have a web page where one selects the tracks to play, and I'd like to set those directly in the ActiveX control without having to cycle through a number of tracks.

Return to “Web and scripting”