ActiveX in VB.NET 2003

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
MRTrevorF
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

ActiveX in VB.NET 2003

Postby MRTrevorF » 03 Nov 2005 14:18

I've searched the forum and see some posts about using VLC as a component in VB6, and nobody seemed to indicate that accessing the component was an issue.

I installed VLC 0.8.2 with the ActiveX, but when I try to add "axvlc.dll" to my Toolbox (in vb.net), I get the following error:

File "C:\...\VLC\axvlc.dll" cannot be added to the Toolbox. It was not recognized as a COM server."

I can't find anything in the Internet explaining this error.

I want to include VLC as an embedded object in a standalone Windows application.

Any help would be appreciated.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 03 Nov 2005 14:28

you need to use a nightly build or the latest test version
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

MRTrevorF
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MRTrevorF » 03 Nov 2005 15:01

Thanks for the quick response. I'm afraid a great deal of this stuff is totally foreign to me.

I'm assuming the Nightly Build is the source code? I have downloaded vlc 0.8.2 tar - 54MB archive of source code. I see a folder for activex with a lot of C++ source code, but no project.

There is a file, "Test.html" that loads but fails to do anything, which is confusing, and a readme.txt file that talks about compiling and words like mingw and gcc; I can follow the links to the sites dealing with these, but it's just wave after wave of new stuff to absorb.

Does the latest test version you reference come packaged the way Video Lan does? Or am I going to have to learn everything involved to compile my own?

Postby Guest » 03 Nov 2005 22:32

Does the latest test version you reference come packaged the way Video Lan does? Or am I going to have to learn everything involved to compile my own?
If you have a axvlc.dll in the activex directory, then you don't need to compile anything. You have to do the following:

1. Use only the version of VLC and the matching version of the axvlc.dll. So, if you want to use the stuff you downloaded, use the vlc.exe in the downloaded directory, and the axvlc.dll in the activex directory.

2. Create registry entry to point to where your VLC.EXE is. Something like

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VideoLan\VLC] "InstallDir"="C:\\temp\\test\\vlc84\\vlc-0.8.4-test2"
3. register the activex that you want to use with a command like:

Code: Select all

regsvr32 "C:\temp\test\vlc84\vlc-0.8.4-test2\activex\axvlc.dll"
Now you should be able to reinsert the activex into your VB toolbox and use it.

MRTrevorF
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MRTrevorF » 04 Nov 2005 04:04

I have already done these things - the registry entry is already there. I prepared a folderstructure similar to what you gave as an example and specifically registered the component in that location - but when I try to add it to VB.NET I get that error:

File 'C:\program files\video lan\vlc\activex\axvlc.dll' cannot be added to the Toolbox. It was not recognized as a COM server.

I have verified that the VLC.exe and the activex are both the same version.

Is it verified that this process works in vb.net, or just vb6? I did try installing the vb6 runtime files to see if that made a difference, but no go.

I can install vb6 to at least verify if it is my system that is the problem.

Postby Guest » 04 Nov 2005 06:52

Is it verified that this process works in vb.net, or just vb6? I did try installing the vb6 runtime files to see if that made a difference, but no go.
I have 0.8.4 branch that I build working in Visual Studio .NET 2003. I can added to the component panel, and add to my form. Also works in the test COM container doodat.

MRTrevorF
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MRTrevorF » 05 Nov 2005 03:40

I don't get it. :(

I downloaded 0.8.5 beta and get the same results. I have tested this on two separate machines - at work and at home and get the same results.

I'm using Visual Basic .NET 2003. Running Windows XP.

Working in a Windows Application. Not an ASP.NET app or anything.

I right-click in the Toolbox and say "Add/Remove Item". I select the "COM Components" tab. I browse to the dll and get this frickin error.

I really like VLC and think it's my best option for the targeted program, but I can't get past this seemingly simple issue.

Postby Guest » 05 Nov 2005 17:50

Ah, I see your problem now. If you have done the regsvr/regedit correctly, then instead of browsing to the DLL directly (in the COM components page), you should see VideoLan VLC ActiveX Plugin in the list. Just check the checkbox without browsing, and select OK. Now you should see the "cone icon" in your toolbox and add it to your form.

MRTrevorF
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MRTrevorF » 06 Nov 2005 02:58

AS FRICKIN' IF!!

That's all it was. I've never seen that reaction before, but I've never claimed to be brilliant :)

Thanks everyone.

Return to “Web and scripting”