VLC and Java

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
remmeier
New Cone
New Cone

VLC and Java

Postby remmeier » 01 Jan 2007 20:47

here seems to be a problem when VLC 0.8.6 is used with Java/SWT and Windows:

frame = new OleFrame(parent, SWT.NONE);
OleControlSite controlSite = new OleControlSite(frame, SWT.NONE, "VideoLAN.VLCPlugin.1");
controlSite.doVerb(OLE.OLEIVERB_INPLACEACTIVATE | OLE.OLEIVERB_HIDE);

doVerb(...) shows a modal console window saying that content is stored in
vlc-help.txt. After closing the console the complete application exits.
It works fine with 0.8.5. Using "VideoLAN.VLCPlugin.2" does not help either. Any ideas?

By the way I also tried to use JVLC. However, the version from June crashes the complete system after a few minutes. There seem to be some improvements (e.g. on crash bug fixed), but there is no new release. I tried to compile it myself, but it seems to be way beyond my
c++ & linux skills... Does anybody has a working build? In this case I would require neither SWT nor ActiveX.

Thanks

raymondlee
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC and Java

Postby raymondlee » 05 Jan 2007 20:14

Not sure about 0.8.6, we're still using 0.8.5 because we found 0.8.6 to crash.

As a bit of background, our team is drawing the VLC player onto an AWT canvas and then placing that into a Java container. We accomplish most of this using ComfyJ as the ActiveX go-between. We're instantiating "VideoLAN.VLCPlugin.1" and showing it using the verb "OleVerbs.SHOW". This seems to work fine. We don't have problems.

The difference between your setup and ours seems to be that you want a modal to show, right?
Ray

remmeier
New Cone
New Cone

Postby remmeier » 06 Jan 2007 19:25

0.8.5 also works fine. Other parameters in doVerb (e.g. SHOW), 0.8.6a or the latest build do not work. With the modal window I meant the VLC "error message". doVerb shows a console window saying that the content is stored in vlc-help.txt and I have to press a key to continue. Closing this window terminates the entire application.

The last outputs of VLC are:

[00000001] main private debug: opening config file C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Remo\Anwendungsdaten\vlc\vlcrc
[00000001] main private debug: checking builtin modules
[00000001] main private debug: checking plugin modules
[00000001] main private debug: loading plugins cache file C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Remo\Anwendungsdaten/vlc/cache/plugins-04041e.dat
[00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `C:\Programme\VideoLAN\VLC\modules'
[00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `C:\Programme\VideoLAN\VLC\plugins'
[00000001] main private debug: module bank initialized, found 220 modules

Return to “Web and scripting”