problem with vlc plug in with new version

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
siger
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.8.6
Operating System: windows

problem with vlc plug in with new version

Postby siger » 12 Dec 2006 16:15

i have downloaded the new version f vlc , but i don't find the folder mozilla where i must find the files of installation of vlc plugin for firefox ?

do you have the same problem ? How to do ?

Verskis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Verskis » 27 Dec 2006 11:16

I have exactly the same problem.
I downloaded the VLC player (v0.8.6), but the folder "mozilla" seems to be unexistent.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Allclone
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Allclone » 27 Dec 2006 15:30

I have seen this problem when I did an install too, but notice for me anyway the plug-in was in the root vlc folder and was called npvlc.dll as it should be (at least for windows).

any more questions and I will try and help.

Note:
one other weird thing I did notice is even after installing VLC(Win32) is that the *.dll/npvlc.dll is not in the Firefox\plugins\ directory yet when I check URL: about:plugins (in Firefox on Win32) it shows the *.dll as being loaded and working.

Quovodis
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Quovodis » 02 Jan 2007 16:27

There is no problem, the 'plugins' folder is only a legacy mechanism for deploying mozilla plugins, but for quite some time now, Firefox, mozilla and Opera also supports a registry based approach on MS-Windows.

Since 0.8.6, the plugin is no longer copied into each browsers 'plugins' folder, but instead a special entry is created in the registry, which tells all those browsers where to find the plugin (which is in VLC directory).

Moreover, the vlcintf.xpt is no longer installed as VLC plugin no longer needs it.

Spellcoder
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Spellcoder » 04 Jan 2007 11:51

If the plugins folder is a legacy mechanism, what's the preferred way to get the VLC plugin working from an Firefox installation from USB stick or DVD ?

I think that's important to know, since the using VLC on a DVD came up a few times on the forum by me and a few others (who usually want to add an webapplication to the DVD for playing the DVD video).

Quovodis

Postby Quovodis » 04 Jan 2007 12:33

If the plugins folder is a legacy mechanism, what's the preferred way to get the VLC plugin working from an Firefox installation from USB stick or DVD ?
well, that's not a question for me really, but for the firefox/mozilla people. All i'm saying is that the VLC installer no longer copies the plugin into the 'plugins' folder.

But you can still do it by 'hand' (don't forget to copy libvlc.dll as well)

Spellcoder
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Spellcoder » 04 Jan 2007 13:37

Yep, and you'll need the plugins for VLC (all the lib*.dll) in the Firefox/Plugins map too (or else you'll have to install VLC on all computers you use your USB stick/DVD on).

It makes the Firefox plugin map a bit messy though. I think the guys from Songbird modified VLC so all it's plugins go into the Firefox/Plugins/Plugins map.

jemm
New Cone
New Cone

Spec for registry keys

Postby jemm » 09 Jan 2007 02:06

Since 0.8.6, the plugin is no longer copied into each browsers 'plugins' folder, but instead a special entry is created in the registry, which tells all those browsers where to find the plugin (which is in VLC directory).
Hello,

Can you advise what are these registry keys?

As I prefer to use 7-zip installations of VLC, then I have to create these keys manually to get VLC plugin working in Mozilla browsers.

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Web and scripting”