how to make VLAN replace Mediaplayer inside IE ?

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
kidney_stone

how to make VLAN replace Mediaplayer inside IE ?

Postby kidney_stone » 25 Oct 2005 18:22

hi
was wondering, if i can use VLAN, to play streams from the internet
from web sites
instead of the windows media player who is embedded in IE

can it be done ?
and if it can, how ?

i've serached again and again, and found no answer to this
i've also tried re-installing VLAN, and leaving the chkmark for "activex plugin" marked, and still media player plays stresm...

please help me solve this

thanks
Arik.

anyone

Postby anyone » 28 Oct 2005 19:21

anyone ? i'm having the same problem
please help

Pflaume
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Mhhh, maybe...

Postby Pflaume » 28 Oct 2005 19:55

No, that is not possible, because in the HTML Page, that is hosting the WMP there is a WMP Class ID named, that let the IE open the WMP.

A very dirty, and absolutly not recomended way is:

Replacing some entries in the Registrie.
You should find the Class ID for the Windows Media Player. Then you can change it to use clsid:E23FE9C6-778E-49D4-B537-38FCDE4887D8....

But this would't work well. Because the VLC ActiveX plugin is using different Parameters....
(Maybe a WMP to VLC Wrapper is a solution?)

And, by the Way, changing anything in the Reg. could (and will) make you a lot of trouble, if you are not exactly knowing what you are doing!

The only Way to get this working is to get as many Admins & Programmers as possible convinced to use the VLC ActiveX in there Pages.... After a few years, there is a small chance to find some pages that are using VLC for Streaming on the Web....

Snake
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Snake » 28 Oct 2005 20:50

but u can use it with firefox, don't u? (i also can open wmp-streams there, without activex)
real- and quicktimestrams for example i always open with mediaplayer classic ;)
these streams should also be possible to be opened with vlc, don't they?

Pflaume
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Sure...

Postby Pflaume » 28 Oct 2005 21:16

There is a differece between a Link to a Stream, and a embedded Object in the HTML Page, that is playing the Stream.

It is possible to associate a file type, like *.mpg or *.rm, (eg. MIME Type Video/mpeg) to VLC.
But I think it is hard to change the embedded Object, that is given by it's Class Id, to use VLC...
(eg. <OBJECT id="WMP" classid = "CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6">)

The change of the Program that is called by the MIME Type, couldn't be hard to do...

andreaborman
New Cone
New Cone

Re: how to make VLAN replace Mediaplayer inside IE ?

Postby andreaborman » 08 Jan 2011 21:20

You do not have to keep Windows media player on your computer. as long as you have a different player installed you will still be able to play videos if you remove Windows Media Player from your computer.

I have got Windows 7 and I recently removed Windows Media player completely from my computer and have replaced it with VLC player. But I had to delete the files in programs on C drive in order to remove Windows media player. It is no longer on my computer but VLC player is set as the default player where Windows Media used to be.

I myself did not have any problems with Windows Media but because I already had VLC Media player and was using that instead. I did not see the need to have another player on my computer that I was not using.

So if you are having problems with windows Media then you can remove it from your computer and install and use VLC instead. I have done this and it plays my videos better in wide scrren,unlike windows media,which was just a standard video play back. Andrea Borman

Return to “Web and scripting”