VLC plugin 1.1.3/4 crashes Firefox

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
JosHuybrighs
New Cone
New Cone

VLC plugin 1.1.3/4 crashes Firefox

Postby JosHuybrighs » 14 Sep 2010 18:05

Hi,

There seems to be a problem with Firefox (I am using Firefox 3.6.8) running the latest VLC mozilla WebPlugins. I tried both with 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 and both crash Firefox a couple of seconds to half a minute after it returns from a page with an embedded video.
Tried the same with Internet Explorer and the ActiveX version of the same plugins and the problem doesn't appear then.
Anyone aware of this?

I had to go back to plugin version 0.9.9 (and the 'old' API).

cctvcam
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC plugin 1.1.3/4 crashes Firefox

Postby cctvcam » 14 Sep 2010 21:06

yes I also experienced this behaviour.

R U creating the <embed> tag manually in the page?

Have you tried using the VLCObject library from

http://www.revolunet.com/labo/code/VLCobject

As this has some clean up code which seems to destory the player better than just loading another page. I am just switching to using this but have not yet managed to retest in FF, still fighting with IE :x .

JosHuybrighs
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC plugin 1.1.3/4 crashes Firefox

Postby JosHuybrighs » 14 Sep 2010 22:29

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I have the mozilla <EMBED..> and the activeX <OBJECT..> tags directly written in the HTML/PHP file.
I also didn't try the VLCObject library because I was/am not sure whether it supports VLC 1.1.x and because until now I had my own set of VLC Javascript objects (for VLC plugin v1 and v2) and was not so attracted by the fact to learn a new API.
But maybe I have to give it a try.

With respect to IE I didn't experience any issues. The only thing that doesn't work with IE is the possibility to do a mouse click on VLC's video area, e.g. to resize the area.

Return to “Web and scripting”