Need help!

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
videomike
New Cone
New Cone

Need help!

Postby videomike » 25 Apr 2009 11:32

I'm a new forum member and a new user of VLC player. First of all, I'd like to apologize if I didn't post this in the correct section. Truth is, I don't know what section my issue belongs in. Here's what I want to do. I want to stream a video that I have stored locally on my laptop, to the internet, and to an embedded player on a webpage. What I'm finding difficult to find information on is, I understand there's a script for the player, but it has a part where you have the name of the file. I want to set up the embedded player to receive the streaming video from my laptop, so as to have a "live" broadcast of my video. Don't worry, there's not any copyrighted stuff in it, as what I'm trying to do is have a weekly or bi-weekly show to feature the local musicians in my area without having to spend the money on block programming at my local tv station. I know how to set up how to stream my webcam, and I know how to upload my video files to a server to play in an embedded player. What I don't know and can't find out how to do is set up the embedded player to play the video I'm streaming from my laptop. I know how to stream it to another computer. I know how to stream it to a network. There's something I'm missing though, because I'm finding it hard to accomplish setting it up as a live streaming broadcast on my webpage kinda like an internet tv channel. I don't want to just simply put the videos on a server to play in an embedded player on my page. I could just upload my videos to Youtube if that were the case. Any help would be very much appreciated!

mediaguy2006
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Need help!

Postby mediaguy2006 » 11 May 2009 19:00

Well To Stream video on the web requires bandwidth. and as you mention you don't have allot of money. So the question is how much people you would like to see your stream. Live video stream takes up allot of bandwidth. For an audio stream you can steam with as little as 32k and the sound will be nice an clear with TV and video we are talking screen size and Mb for real time video. It can be done but it will be expensive.
To answer your question how you can get it done will there are 3 things you need
1. a streaming server to stream from
2. a host server that will serv your stream to the WWW
3. Bandwidth
all 3 go in hand. Depending on your $$$ you need to select a provider that can take your stream they are several out there to choose from.
Then You embed the player on your page with the link of the server you are streaming to to the www and there you go you will be steaming to the world.

I hope this helps.

Return to “Web and scripting”