No video with Avi files (HTML player)

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
slycharlie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.9.4
Operating System: Windows xp sp3

No video with Avi files (HTML player)

Postby slycharlie » 23 Oct 2008 19:40

hi I am having a problem with the vlc plugin. I have put streams on rtsp and it so happens that streams that point to .mpg files when loaded in the browser plugin they play well. But the streams that point to .avi files only play back sound(audio) no video. When i try vlc standalone(.exe) everything works just fine. Any ideas are very welcome.
p.s i have spent the past 2 days combing old topics but i don't seem to get any solutions

Defrance
New Cone
New Cone

Re: No video with Avi files (HTML player)

Postby Defrance » 24 Oct 2008 12:29

Which OS are you running ?

I got a similar problem when running VLC with opensuse 11.0 KDE 4

i have tested with 3 different version, i am now running 0.9 and the problem is still there.

AVI files are displayed only if i start any OTHER product like kaffeine or xine BEFORE VLC ?

None of them works correctly, asking for missing codecs but when VLC is starting after, then it works fine ?

So to day, i start xine (which gives a blue screen, and then i start VLC (without stopping xine) and it works fine !

It is the same with mozilla 3 plugin, i have a dark screen if xine or kaffeine is not started ,

I suspect a codec problem, but WHERE ?

slycharlie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby slycharlie » 24 Oct 2008 12:51

I'm running windows xp sp3 vlc version 0.9.4 firefox 3.0.3 i have tried downgrading to 0.8.6h all i got was a few seconds of video then it froze. I am begining to think its something wrong with my computer might have to try it on another xp computer. All of the sudden streaming over RTSP seems not to work anymore and if its to work i have to have accessed vlm via the http interface. this is becoming bizzare

slycharlie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby slycharlie » 25 Oct 2008 14:33

:shock: could it be that we are the only 2 people having issues with avi files and activeX? Any one care to try playing an avi file using this plugin http://people.videolan.org/~damienf/plugin-0.8.6.html please let us know if it works fine stating your os, browser and vlc version. thank you in advance

slycharlie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: No video with Avi files RESOLVED

Postby slycharlie » 27 Oct 2008 11:50

If anyone else the same problem, Finally got it working i had to downgrade to vlc 0.8.6h. 8) All RTSP streams with avi files play fine. The new huddle is when i seek forward i loose audio but video remains fine. With mpg files all is working fine.

mysoogal
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mysoogal » 28 Oct 2008 12:57

:shock: could it be that we are the only 2 people having issues with avi files and activeX? Any one care to try playing an avi file using this plugin http://people.videolan.org/~damienf/plugin-0.8.6.html please let us know if it works fine stating your os, browser and vlc version. thank you in advance

check this vlc plugin, http://mysoogal.com/mysoogals

no problem playing rtsp streams with the activeX nor mms links etc !

slycharlie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby slycharlie » 28 Oct 2008 15:30

check this vlc plugin, http://mysoogal.com/mysoogals

no problem playing rtsp streams with the activeX nor mms links etc !
oopsy! just responded to your post in another topic.... anyhow brief me about the version of vlc that you are using. I had to downgrade to 0.8.6h to have avi files playing via the browser plugin. The new issue that iam facing is seeking and pausing when playing rtsp stream of an avi file. When i seek ahead or pause video hangs and when it resumes playing, audio is lost. Iam not able to fully test yours since i have very poor connection but would be very grateful if you gave me a break down of your setup.

mysoogal
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mysoogal » 28 Oct 2008 22:41

http://mysoogal.com/VLCcontrols.rar

i used the old version vlc-0.8.6e-win32.exe

slycharlie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby slycharlie » 28 Oct 2008 23:19

thanks for the quick response, going to dload 0.8.6e and try it out. Have you been able to play avi files fine via rtsp? i'm talking of seeking forward and back without loosing audio stream or distorting the video stream? Would appreciate if you confirmed. I have tried out the following builds 0.8.4, 0.8.6(c,d,h,i) and they all seem to have the same prob with avi files over RTSP using activeX. Any ideas?

mysoogal
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mysoogal » 31 Oct 2008 16:46

sorry to report late, it has the problem , seeking to different parts of the video audio becomes weird,

i believe it only has this problem with broken avi video, when i say broken avi, i mean wrongly encoded video / audio

try a video audio, with ogg codec for audio and x264 for video, out into ogm container, or mp4 something like that

slycharlie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby slycharlie » 31 Oct 2008 22:49

i tried all the 0.8.6 builds and it turns out that 0.8.6d was much more stable than the others when it came to seeking back and forth. much as it fails when it comes to pause and resume. When i tried 0.9.4, its cant display video in the browser plugin only audio. when it comes to playing RTSP streams in the gui.exe it plays them fine pausing and resuming is great improved with 10 second lag before audio is restored. I'm yet to try out nigtly builds of 0.9 just in case the activex issue is sorted

klsc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby klsc » 03 Nov 2008 10:59

slycharlie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby slycharlie » 03 Nov 2008 11:12

thanks for the reference but appears to be a bug in 0.9 will continue using 0.8.6d till its sorted out. By the way imo 0.8.6d is stable compared to other versions that i have tried out. will wait for 0.9.5 hope it will have things sorted.

Return to “Web and scripting”