Change input in a VLM element

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
vice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Change input in a VLM element

Postby vice » 12 Jun 2008 17:23

I'm trying to figure out how to change the input of a VLM element by VLM commands and haven't found anything. I'm trying to use the input list of a broadcast VLM element as a basic playlist, but I need the command to select the input number.

I'm scripting remotely a VLC media player a this could be very usefull to implement some kind of switching functionality to the broadcast VLM elements.

My fisrt input is a live stream so its never ends, but I need to switch to others inputs on demand.

For example, we could relay a live streaming and from time to time switch to some anouncement, advertisement, replay action or whatever. With the option sout-keep to keep the streaming going.

If this is imposible, the only way to do it is:
  • 1. Stop the VLM element, destroy its input, set the new input, and play again the VLM element. Restart the process to get back to the old input.
    2. Or, Stop and play differents VLM elements all of them with the same output.
    3. Use the VLC media player own playlist and forget about VLM.
Searching for possible VLM commands, I found:
control (name) [instance_name] (command)
with control commands:
play, stop, pause and seek.

of all those, seek sounds promising but it only handles seeking in the current input (I understand), perhaps we could add a new control command like this:

Code: Select all

control (name) [instance_name] inputn (input number)
or play command with opcional input number:

control (name) [instance_name] play [input number]
event extend the seek control command with an optional input number, so it could be written:

control (name) [instance_name] seek [+-](percentage) | [+-](seconds)s | [+-](milliseconds)ms [input number]
Where could I found more information about VLM commands?
If this functionality is missing, could it be a good adition?
What do I need to do to propose to developpers this new functionality? (I don't think this could be hard to implement)

Thanks in advance!

vice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Change input in a VLM element

Postby vice » 13 Jun 2008 13:31

control (name) [instance_name] play [input number]
implemented for the upcomming 0.9 version.
(Saw in git repository)

Return to “Web and scripting”