vlc for Opera??

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
marcuschan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

vlc for Opera??

Postby marcuschan » 09 Apr 2007 05:46

Hi, just a simple question ...

In order to use vlc to play video in a web page, I know there's vlc activeX for IE, and Mozilla plugin for FireFox, ... my question is ..how about for the browser Opera?

I am a newbie of Opera ..so,.. :oops: :oops: don't laught at my question pls ..

Thanks ..

Shadow2531
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Shadow2531 » 09 Apr 2007 15:52

Opera (on WinXP at least) automatically searches "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC" for the mozilla npvlc.dll plug-in.

If Opera finds it, it will show up under tools -> advanced -> plug-ins and Opera will be able to use it.

In Opera, you may also have to go to tools -> preferences -> advanced -> downloads -> uncheck "hide file types" and edit application/x-ogg, application/ogg ogg, application/x-vlc-plugin and application/x-google-vlc-plugin to "Use-plugin".

If Opera doesn't detect npvlc.dll in that directory, copy it to Opera's plugins directory and restart Opera.

For example, this works in the latest weekly of Opera.

Also, on a side, Opera has been working on video element support. It will allow Opera to play ogg theora videos natively with no need for a plug-in. Look for that some time in the future once the video element spec becomes stable.

marcuschan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby marcuschan » 09 Apr 2007 16:37

Thanks Shadow !!

EllePollack
New Cone
New Cone

Re: vlc for Opera??

Postby EllePollack » 08 Oct 2007 05:25

Sory for the necrobump, but...

I got Opera to recognize the VLC plugin after a coupple tries but what I really want to know is if I can configure it to play formats besides OGG and its kin...like Quicktime files. (Would so love not having to install Quicktime for Windows, when VLC plays them, dare I say better, in standalone mode).

Shadow2531
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Shadow2531 » 08 Oct 2007 12:19

You can use resource hacker to add mime types and extensions to the dll. Then, Opera will see that the plugin is reporting that it supports more types and will let you configure them.

As to whether the plugin will play the type, you'll have to try.

EllePollack
New Cone
New Cone

Postby EllePollack » 09 Oct 2007 18:15

Might anyone have one that is, shall we say, pre-hacked? I'm an art geek, not a code geek. >.>

Shadow2531
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Shadow2531 » 09 Oct 2007 18:42

The ones at http://nightlies.videolan.org/ report that they support a whole bunch of stuff. But, they might not be too stable.

Return to “Web and scripting”