New Unified APIs for ActiveX and Mozilla plugins for 0.8.6

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
Cooldream
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cooldream » 13 Apr 2007 15:07

Hello,

I tried that nightly build but I have a problem in VB6 :
When I want to add "Videolan VLC activeX Plugin" in VB6 as a component, I have an error message where it's write that it is already use.
With the 0.86a, I don't have that...

Do you have any solution ?...

GiHe
New Cone
New Cone

sout with plugin

Postby GiHe » 17 Apr 2007 18:29

Will it be possible to enable "stream out" features to the plugin ?

slloyd88
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Plugins cause Firefox to crash

Postby slloyd88 » 25 Apr 2007 21:40

I am using the VLC Plugin to play .iso files. The first time it plays I always crash Firefox with the following error

Code: Select all

--------------------------- Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library --------------------------- Runtime Error! Program: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe R6034 An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

slloyd88
New Cone
New Cone

Playing .iso files through the plugins does not play sound

Postby slloyd88 » 25 Apr 2007 21:44

I use the browser plugin to play .iso files in my browser. However, I do not get any sound or menu options.

<OBJECT classid="clsid:E23FE9C6-778E-49D4-B537-38FCDE4887D8" codebase="http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/latest/win32/axvlc.cab" width="400" height="300" id="video1" events="True"> <param name="Src" value="test.iso" /> <param name="ShowDisplay" value="True" /> <param name="AutoLoop" value="False" /> <param name="AutoPlay" value="True" /> <embed type="application/x-vlc-plugin" name="video1" autoplay="yes" loop="no" width="400" height="300" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/" target="test.iso" /> </OBJECT>

slloyd88
New Cone
New Cone

Fullscreen fails with new clsid

Postby slloyd88 » 25 Apr 2007 21:47

I switched my code to use the new clsid an then tried doubleclicking on the player to go to fullscreen. It went black (no longer was playing).

<OBJECT classid="clsid:9BE31822-FDAD-461B-AD51-BE1D1C159921" codebase="http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/latest/win32/axvlc.cab" width="400" height="300" id="video1" events="True"> <param name="Src" value="test.iso" /> <param name="ShowDisplay" value="True" /> <param name="AutoLoop" value="False" /> <param name="AutoPlay" value="True" /> <embed type="application/x-vlc-plugin" progid="VideLAN.VLCPlugin.2" name="video1" autoplay="yes" loop="no" width="400" height="300" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/" target="test.iso" /> </OBJECT>

MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9 series
Operating System: ArchLinux i686

Postby MetalheadGautham » 18 Jun 2007 07:31

how can I embed the vlc plugin for firefox in the browser so that it can play mov files and wmv files?
Visit: VLC and Other alternatives to Popular Media Players
On Linux, blindly use VLC, SMPlayer, Kaffeine, GXine, Totem and MPlayer
PM requests to attend to problems will not be entertained
Please post your question in the RIGHT forum.
SEARCH before posting to see if your question's been already answered

ddod
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Fullscreen fails with new clsid

Postby ddod » 13 Jul 2007 22:43

I switched my code to use the new clsid an then tried doubleclicking on the player to go to fullscreen. It went black (no longer was playing).
I have had the same problem on multiple machines (not all but many). We still here the audio but the plugin window goes black and you can't get it back without restarting the browser. I have posted the issue in a separate thread. As of yet no one has been able to answer the questions. I have had various problems in general with the activex version of the plugin. But the fullscreen one seems to be the most prevalent.

mssi
New Cone
New Cone

Re: New Unified APIs for ActiveX and Mozilla plugins for 0.8.6

Postby mssi » 06 Sep 2007 09:21

I am facing the same problem in vlc plugin , there is a delay in video and audio while pause, any solutions you guys found out or any answers

please help me out

Thanks in advance
mssi

Kr0n0s
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kr0n0s » 15 Sep 2007 21:46

sorry for the noob questions, but how do I use filters with the embeded player? for example ... I want to use marquee and logo filters .... where do i set the paramenters? in the playlist? in the embed code? ... thanks in advance ... :)

Old Hun
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Old Hun » 21 Sep 2007 19:03

Hi guys,

Is there a way to use the ActiveX without having installed VLC client?

Thank you very much in advance!

elle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby elle » 24 Sep 2007 14:47

Ciao a tutti!

I have a link that open a popup with this code:

<OBJECT classid="clsid:9BE31822-FDAD-461B-AD51-BE1D1C159921" codebase="http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/latest/win32/axvlc.cab#Version=0,8,6,0" width="640" height="480" id="vlc" events="True"> <param name="MRL" value="http://***.***.***.***:8080" /> <param name="ShowDisplay" value="True" /> <param name="AutoLoop" value="True" /> <param name="AutoPlay" value="True" /> <param name="Volume" value="50" /> <param name="StartTime" value="0" /> <EMBED pluginspage="http://www.videolan.org" type="application/x-vlc-plugin" progid="VideoLAN.VLCPlugin.2" name="vlc" autoplay="yes" loop="yes" target="http://***.***.***.***:8080" width="640" height="480"/> </EMBED> </OBJECT>

Manies PC open the popup and start the streaming in FULLSCREEN.

U know why???

Thanks!

elle
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Fullscreen fails with new clsid

Postby elle » 11 Oct 2007 16:31

Hi!

I have the same problem in manies PC with explorer..

solutions?

stretchyboy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stretchyboy » 24 Oct 2007 18:08

Hi, I'm trying to overlay graphics over the Mozilla plug-in and I suspect that part of my problem is the embed tag is there a way to use the object tag for Mozilla (its a Mozilla only environment). I then think I need to turn off the always on top and overlay options , i've tried doing that use the vlcrc file but that hasn't helped. Anybody got any idea.

divx118
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby divx118 » 05 Nov 2007 20:30

@Quovodis First of all thanks for the great work on the activeX. :)

My question is, are there gonna be changes to the activeX when VLCplayer 0.9.0 is released?
I am planning to write a vista media center plugin for the vlc player, but if there gonna be some big changes then I will write it from scratch else i will use my plugin for media center 2005 as a base.
Do you perhaps know if the mediacenter remote will be supported in 0.9.0 for the standard control options?

Thanks Maurice 8)

yjogol
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yjogol » 12 Dec 2007 07:30

Hi,
one year ago I have written an API-Wrapper for VLC in javascript.
It is used by hundreds of thousand users from the tuxbox project.
You can find the source here: http://cvs.tuxbox.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.c ... iew=markup
And here is some usage: http://cvs.tuxbox.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.c ... iew=markup

yjogol

descott
New Cone
New Cone

Postby descott » 29 Apr 2008 15:38

http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/video ... on=0,8,6,0

the cab download link, does not exist...

perhaps you could direct me to where it should be?

descott
New Cone
New Cone

Postby descott » 29 Apr 2008 18:14

After doing some research, it looks like this file existed up until the 0.8.6c release but all future ones it's lacking.

Could it possibly be included once again (even if it's unsigned)

Thanks!

revolunet
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9.8
Operating System: Vista

Postby revolunet » 30 Apr 2008 11:21

hello all

ive made a js wrapper lib for IE/Mozilla/Safari, it adds controls to the plugin, allow VLC options management and other things (subtitles, transcoding/streaming...)

code here : http://code.revolunet.com/VLCcontrols/EN

simple example : http://code.revolunet.com/VLCcontrols/V ... mple3.html
advanced example here : http://code.revolunet.com/VLCcontrols/V ... anced.html

comments welcome
VLC & web IT consulting - http://www.revolunet.com
Github : http://github.com/revolunet

gborzi

Postby gborzi » 22 May 2008 20:21

Hi there

where can I find the documentation of the APIs of the 9.0 version plugins?
do they differ from 8.6 APIs ?

Thanks

gb

MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby MetalheadGautham » 04 Jun 2008 17:26

I am a web scripting n00b attempting to design my website without any html/css knowledge using Joomla, Wordpress and PHP-BB. :oops: Can someone please direct me to the html code I need to use which I can add to my site by which (1) I can embed a video player plugin that plays any video typed into an URL, as in vlc plugin test page and (2) plays a video thats predefined, sourced from nearly any site, including but not limited to direct http/ftp/rstp/mms links, youtube, etc ?

gborzi

Postby gborzi » 04 Jun 2008 21:50

@MetalGautham
are you sure you want to use Videolan for a general purpose website?

After using videolan for almost one year on a web project my feeling is mixed.

The reasons for my feeling:
1... the default installation pack of videolan for windows does not include the mozilla plugin in the default installation options. This means that a unexperienced user, even if advised, may well miss this step and think your website is not working with firefox. Moreover MAC users will have to download a separate pack to install the plugin: the default MAC installation archive does not contain the plugin. Again, think about advising the users of this.
2... the videolan plugin will not use the proxy settings of the browser it runs into; this means that a certain percentage of your website visitors (tipically from inside companies, sometimes the most valuable visitors) they will not be able to see your videos without managing videolan configuration settings. They will get a generic error. For a general purpose website this may prove to be quite a problem.
3... up to now I was not able to find a simple way to display a splash image in the videolan plugin, useful for example while it is buffering. In Internet explorer the activex plugin will display the videolan cone while buffering, while in firefox the mozilla plugin will display the words "(no video)" on a black screen until the buffering ends. You will need some javascript to provide some feedback to the user. To my records the tipical user will remain on a black "(no video)" page without useful feedback for 2 or 3 seconds before fleeing.
4... in the default installation options videolan takes ownership of all the media file types. If you miss this, then to change file type association on windows the only option is to uninstall videolan and reinstall it. This spells problems expecially for the users of firefox: if you use mixed media types and plugins in your website (for example you use the media player plugin for some files and videolan for some other files) after installation everything in firefox will try to open up with videolan. This is what is happening to me on firefox right now, even after trying to uninstall-reinstall videolan several times.
5... As you see, all the issues I mentioned above are really quite simple to address. Why weren't they addressed in the past? They were reported many times on the forums. For example the proxy settings thing is on the videolan "trac system" since 3 years , marked as "easy". This poses some questions. I have no answer, but I have the feeling that the videolan team is not much focussed on developing the plugins, expecially addressing the usability issues. I feel that they are more focussed on developing videolan as a standalone media player.

I do not want to discourage you anyway. Maybe I am biassed. I may also be wrong on some issues or maybe on all of them. I may well be a spy from M$ ;-). Have a look at the forums about the topics I listed and decide for yourself.

regards

gb

MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby MetalheadGautham » 05 Jun 2008 02:33

@MetalGautham
are you sure you want to use Videolan for a general purpose website?

After using videolan for almost one year on a web project my feeling is mixed.

The reasons for my feeling:
1... the default installation pack of videolan for windows does not include the mozilla plugin in the default installation options. This means that a unexperienced user, even if advised, may well miss this step and think your website is not working with firefox. Moreover MAC users will have to download a separate pack to install the plugin: the default MAC installation archive does not contain the plugin. Again, think about advising the users of this.
2... the videolan plugin will not use the proxy settings of the browser it runs into; this means that a certain percentage of your website visitors (tipically from inside companies, sometimes the most valuable visitors) they will not be able to see your videos without managing videolan configuration settings. They will get a generic error. For a general purpose website this may prove to be quite a problem.
3... up to now I was not able to find a simple way to display a splash image in the videolan plugin, useful for example while it is buffering. In Internet explorer the activex plugin will display the videolan cone while buffering, while in firefox the mozilla plugin will display the words "(no video)" on a black screen until the buffering ends. You will need some javascript to provide some feedback to the user. To my records the tipical user will remain on a black "(no video)" page without useful feedback for 2 or 3 seconds before fleeing.
4... in the default installation options videolan takes ownership of all the media file types. If you miss this, then to change file type association on windows the only option is to uninstall videolan and reinstall it. This spells problems expecially for the users of firefox: if you use mixed media types and plugins in your website (for example you use the media player plugin for some files and videolan for some other files) after installation everything in firefox will try to open up with videolan. This is what is happening to me on firefox right now, even after trying to uninstall-reinstall videolan several times.
5... As you see, all the issues I mentioned above are really quite simple to address. Why weren't they addressed in the past? They were reported many times on the forums. For example the proxy settings thing is on the videolan "trac system" since 3 years , marked as "easy". This poses some questions. I have no answer, but I have the feeling that the videolan team is not much focussed on developing the plugins, expecially addressing the usability issues. I feel that they are more focussed on developing videolan as a standalone media player.

I do not want to discourage you anyway. Maybe I am biassed. I may also be wrong on some issues or maybe on all of them. I may well be a spy from M$ ;-). Have a look at the forums about the topics I listed and decide for yourself.

regards

gb
Thanks for your comments. All of them were very valid indeed. :shock:

But there are sections targeted specifically towards users of BSD and Linux. I thought perhaps VLC plugin would be the best choice, because MPlayer plugin is slightly heavy and Totem plugin is Gnome only.

One of the reasons this plugin becomes quintessential in my case is that I link videos from other sites, with things like news, tutorials, etc which are available as direct links in those sites. Now, offering a video link to a person reduces his chance of immidiately viewing the video. So I concluded that it is essential for me to embed them in a plugin. Hence I chose VLC.

nat32
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nat32 » 31 Jul 2008 22:18

I'm using the VideoLAN.VLCPlugin.2 from the VLC 0.8.6i distribution and have noticed a problem when the plugin is embedded in a web page that contains any items (such as images with an alt tag) for which IE7 displays a tooltip. During playback, whenever the mouse is moved over such an item, the tooltip appears, but the whole desktop flickers (presumably because of a refresh). When the tooltip disappears, the desktop flickers again. The flicker occurs only during playback.

The plugin also has another problem: When playback of a file has completed and I want to play another file, I call
vlc.playlist.items.clear() and confirm that the playlist is empty by checking vlc.playlist.items.count. It is 0. I then add a new item to the playlist with vlc.playlist.add(item) and then call vlc.playlist.play(). What then happens is that the previous file plays, and then the new file plays. It's as if the previous file is still in the playlist, even though I cleared it and checked that vlc.playlist.items.count is 0.
The problem does not occur if I stop a playback in progress with vlc.playlist.stop(), then clear the playlist, then add a new item and then call vlc.playlist.play().

By the way, the bugtracking pages seem to be unavailable at present.

Chris.

Anatoly_B
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Anatoly_B » 31 Aug 2008 02:43

0.8.5 - for me it is extremely undesirable...
Version 0.9.1 has no this problem, in all applications necessary for me has proved better, than 0.8.x.

A unique problem essential to me in v0.9.1 - the option start-time is ignored, (it is possible to bypass it by document.vlc.input.time=xxxx, but it increases total time of play start...)

carlosabdomingos
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby carlosabdomingos » 08 Sep 2008 18:18

To see the information in my webcam, I have to put in MRL: the adress of my PC (127.0.0.1)?

In the line 266 "var itemId = vlc.playlist.add(targetURL, null, options);", in IE I have a warning: invalid procedure!

What I have to put in text box? A URL? A local path?

Thanks for the atention.

Return to “Web and scripting”