New Unified APIs for ActiveX and Mozilla plugins for 0.8.6

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
remmeier
New Cone
New Cone

Postby remmeier » 07 Jan 2007 11:24

Unfortunately logging don't seem to be working either. (It works with the VLC UI and with SWT & 0.8.5).

I'm using Windows XP SP2 (german), AMD X2, Eclipse as Java IDE, the german version of VLC, installed in C:\Programme\VideoLAN\vlc (default), settings are saved in C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\remo\Anwendungsdaten\vlc. App working directory is d:\ma\player.ui.

Really odd is that I yesterday used Exe4J to create a windows executable (.exe) from all the jar files. This is working again (same working directory).

francescoIT
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How can I dend option to the plugin ?

Postby francescoIT » 09 Jan 2007 19:25

Ho can I send options to th plugin like:

:access-filter=timeshift

Thanks !!

divx118
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby divx118 » 09 Jan 2007 19:34

You can only do it before the item starts playing so you can't timeshift in the activeX only if you go fullscreen you can use the hotkeys.

if you use the old activeX 0.8.5 then you could use set/getvariable.

The following example only enables the timeshift to use by hotkey.

vlc.playlist.add(mrl,name,options)

example:

vlc.playlist.add("c:\\test.avi",null,":access-filter=timeshift")

if you want to add multiple options make an Array of options

Maurice 8)

please correct me if i am wrong.

hihi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Stream and Media Info Advanced information

Postby hihi » 10 Jan 2007 10:39

Hi all,

I've used the example form the first post with the plugin for EI7 and it works fine. I'm very interested in the Advanced information of the tream I've selected, is it possible to recall these settings from the plugin with for ex. a button. I want to view the used Aspect Ratio, with the example from the first post it is possible to sellect the AR ... but it doesn't tell me what the actual AR from the incomming stream is ... Any help?

regards,

PTO

abregar
New Cone
New Cone

question regarding html overlay

Postby abregar » 16 Jan 2007 16:08

Quovodis: you have said that overlay is todo for 0.9.0 - pse tell me where those todos are listed (trac?) and also what is the current progress status of the issue? I have tried a trick (using vlc 0.8.6a) with z-index and overlay <embed> and <iframe>. It works - ifram is on top, but not with the desired effect in mozilla - no transparency on iframe.

Also q for Quovodis - is there any doc on changed functionality and/or test page for 0.9.0 (would be great for sandbox - it is easier to test, if you know what the possibilities are)

chairman: me too, hardly wait this functionality

regards

tchristensen
New Cone
New Cone

0.8.6a on mac ppc doesn't work with published api

Postby tchristensen » 23 Jan 2007 00:09

Hello

Great work on the plugin and 0.9 sounds promising.

Regarding the new 0.8.6 api, I'm having problems with even the simplest scripts. In the sample page below, calling document.video1.versionInfo() fails and btw autostart of the multicast being available in the network doesn't seem to work. Any hints?

I fail to access any of the sub objects input, video, log, etc. I get "vlc has no properties"

Env: Mac osx 10.4 ppc, Firefox 1.5 and Safari. Plugin installed in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/VLC Plugin.plugin from http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... owerpc.dmg

<html>
<title>VLC Mozilla plugin test page</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function play() {
var vlc = document.getElementById("vlc");
vlc.playlist.add("udp://@239.1.1.101:5501");
vlc.playlist.play();
document.getElementById("play_status").innerHTML = vlc.versionInfo();
}
function fullscreen() {
var vlc = document.getElementById("vlc");
vlc.video.toogleFullscreen();
}
</script>
<body>

<EMBED pluginspage="http://www.videolan.org" type="application/x-vlc-plugin" progid="VideoLAN.VLCPlugin.2" width="400" height="315" name="vlc"></EMBED>
<span id="play_status">Unknown</span>
<input type="button" name="chewa" value="Play" onclick="play();"/>
<input type="button" name="chewa" value="Fullscreen" onclick="fullscreen();"/>
</body>
</html>

Thomas

Quovodis
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Quovodis » 28 Jan 2007 19:36

you need to make sure that you have the 0.8.6 version installed correctly on OS X; there is a bug in 0.8.5 plugin installer which prevents over-install.

to guarantee that the install works, first remove the previous plugin manually by removing the 'VLC Internet Plugin' package from /Library/Receipts, then remove the plugin from '/Library/Internet Plug-Ins'.
second, install the plugin again from the image.

ddod
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Scriptaculous incompatability?

Postby ddod » 01 Feb 2007 22:59

I have imported some scriptaculous scripts in order to get a simple slider control for the volume of the VLC plugin. It works great. However in explorer 6 and 7 (at least), one of the VLC API methods calls breaks.

I lose my ability to pass options in the vlc.playlist.add(targetURL, null, options) call. If I pass "null" to the options parameter everything works fine (of course I lose my output formatting). Also, if I don't load the scriptaculous scripts then I can pass the "options" just fine. However with the scripts loaded I get the following error in explorer when I try to pass the "options":
invalid procedure call or argument
Keep in mind that there are no issues in firefox. I thought it might be a name space issue since scriptaculous uses the term "options" throughout. I went as far as to rename all instances of options in the scriptaculous scripts as well as in my own code. However that didn't seem to help. I am not sure what to try next (other than dumping scriptaculous altogether).

Any ideas?[/code]

ddod
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ddod » 01 Feb 2007 23:03

you need to make sure that you have the 0.8.6 version installed correctly on OS X; there is a bug in 0.8.5 plugin installer which prevents over-install.
First off, did you mean the 0.8.6 installer has a bug? And what about the 0.8.6a installer?
to guarantee that the install works, first remove the previous plugin manually by removing the 'VLC Internet Plugin' package from /Library/Receipts, then remove the plugin from '/Library/Internet Plug-Ins'.
second, install the plugin again from the image.
I don't see any of these files in these directories you mentioned. I installed 0.8.6a from the dmg. Yet neither safari nor firefox can find the plugin. What else might we be missing?

tchristensen
New Cone
New Cone

Removing and reinstalling works

Postby tchristensen » 02 Feb 2007 10:23

Removing the installed plugin and the 'VLC Internet Plugin' package from /Library/Receipts makes 0.8.6a install correctly afterwards.

I guess that the install script should remove anything found in /Library/Receipts/VLC Internet Plugin.

Thank you for the help

Thomas

RoKay
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RoKay » 03 Feb 2007 19:08

@Quovodis

YOU made it!
I never would have managed, to distribute video if there was'nt your source code on page one and you kindly agreed tu use it
(how do you spell 'Java'?).
It helped me to understand how it works and to make my own page.

For your reference:
http://www.rulernet.de/video/

To see it as a visitor does:
http://www.rulernet.de/ 'Live Video' tab.

I know it's not live video yet, the 'foreign' language states, it's a test.

You might notice, I did not forget to mention, who really was bakeing the cake.

I (guess we all) owe you, thanks!
Ronie

ddod
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Opera Browser

Postby ddod » 06 Feb 2007 20:27

Any ideas why this is not working in Opera. I get the audio but no video. I have tired both my own page and the demo page given in this post.

Also, it would be nice to control be able to control what the player displays when there is no video playing. In explorer you get the VLC logo on a white background. In mozilla you get a black page with the text "no video" centered inside. Just for the sake of consistency and/or customize-ability, it might be nice to either supply a default graphic or choose from several options (available on both plugin versions).

Just an idea.

Thanks again. We are loving the functionality these plugins provide us.

ddod
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Opera Browser

Postby ddod » 06 Feb 2007 20:32

So it appears the video does show up in Opera, but only after you click on the player window. Is there a way to fix or get around this? I would prefer that users not have to figure this out.

mrlitsta
New Cone
New Cone

Possible VLC plugin bugs?

Postby mrlitsta » 06 Feb 2007 22:29

Quovodis,

I have been working on a web-based player using the plugins for 0.8.5, and later, 0.8.6 for about three months. I think I have discovered two irritating bugs, but I want to be sure no one has reported these before I post them to bugTraq. We stream H.264 from a Darwin Streaming Server, and I have been able to replicate these bugs on your test player in IE(Win), Firefox (Win and Mac), and Safari (MacIntel and PowerPC)

1. Audio disappears on repeated pause/unpause -
I can pause and unpause a video fine, but upon pausing using togglePause() the second or third time, the picture pauses, but the audio continues for 3 or 4 seconds before stopping. Upon unpausing, the video plays, but there is no audio. The only way to get it back is by reloading the page or calling stop(), then start().

2. The plugin does not always return the correct position when calling position() and time() -
This behavior appears when I load and play a video, seek almost to the end, then seek back to the beginning. The video will play to the end, but subsequent calls to time() and position() will almost always return a incorrect value (usually beyond the end of the stream). I am resorting to an internal position counter to maintain position coherence.

Please let me know if anyone is working on these bugs. I am using some pretty ugly hacks to get around them.

Also, great work on these plugins. Keep up the good work!

mattisking
New Cone
New Cone

Custom aspectRatio's?

Postby mattisking » 20 Feb 2007 23:37

Quovodis,

I need "stretch to fit" functionality (ignoring aspect ratio essentially). After alot of searching through the forums and google, the only thing I ran across that seemed to get the job done was by using the command line and launching VLC with the --aspect-ratio setting using a custom ratio to match the space I need filled. If there's a better way, please tell.

At any rate, this will be used in a web browser so after investigating I came across the new combined API set. It "seemed" to be the only way to get to the aspectRatio setting. Now it seems that I might have wasted my time because while I can use the ratio's you list, I can't seem to use any other kinds. VLC will take pretty much anything in the correct format. Is this a limitation of the API? I could sure use some help.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Quovodis

Postby Quovodis » 22 Feb 2007 18:08

use

Code: Select all

vlc.video.aspectRatio = 'W:H'
where W is the width of your window, and H the height

Quovodis

Postby Quovodis » 22 Feb 2007 18:14

Any ideas why this is not working in Opera. I get the audio but no video. I have tired both my own page and the demo page given in this post.
click on the page where the video is supposed to be displayed, it will show up then.

Opera implemented this behaviour as a workaround to the patent which is also forcing you to click on the ActiveX control on IE.

Quovodis

Postby Quovodis » 22 Feb 2007 18:16

I can pause and unpause a video fine, but upon pausing using togglePause() the second or third time, the picture pauses, but the audio continues for 3 or 4 seconds before stopping. Upon unpausing, the video plays, but there is no audio. The only way to get it back is by reloading the page or calling stop(), then start().

2. The plugin does not always return the correct position when calling position() and time() -
This behavior appears when I load and play a video, seek almost to the end, then seek back to the beginning. The video will play to the end, but subsequent calls to time() and position() will almost always return a incorrect value (usually beyond the end of the stream). I am resorting to an internal position counter to maintain position coherence.
do you see those behaviors when playing the same video on the player as well ?

mrlitsta
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mrlitsta » 27 Feb 2007 22:19

do you see those behaviors when playing the same video on the player as well ?
I do see this behavior in the standalone version of the player. Looks like togglePause() is working, and it's just a bug in VLC itself.

It's difficult to tell, but from what I can see in scrubbing through the stream manually, it seems to exhibit the same behavior, however, the GUI prevents VLC from seeking beyond the end of the stream and crashing. Perhaps VLC is not honoring the seek request properly.

Looks like you aren't responsible for fixing those problems, which probably is a relief. What do I need to do to submit a bug report?

Thanks for your help.

Spellcoder
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Spellcoder » 12 Mar 2007 18:20

Thanks for the nice testpage Quovodis. Only problem is the page you link with documentation is a little outdated and has some mistakes. Maybe you can link the wiki version:

http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation: ... 0.8.5.1.29
my hideout: http://www.spellcoder.nl
my VLC bugreports: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/query?rep ... spellcoder
likes coding, designing, WoW, VLC&plugin, Amiga's and Mac's & fluffy cats

Quovodis

Postby Quovodis » 13 Mar 2007 21:12

thanks Spellcoder for updating, i've just made some modifications to rectify some mistakes that were in the original documentation

ddod
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ddod » 04 Apr 2007 23:45

The response to the post quoted below was not specific (at least on a line item by line item basis). It would appear that the ability to switch between audio tracks while the video is playing is not yet a feature for the plugin? As far as I can tell the only way to select which audio track is through the "options" when adding to the playlist. But ability to chage audio track on the fly will be added to .9. Is this correct?
Hello,
Thanks for your development...
That new ActiveX seem to be good with VB.
It would be two very interest function :
To have vlc.video.crop in complement of vlc.video.aspectRatio
To be able to change audio track without stop playing.
Thanks again for your work. This plugin is great (and project overall).

Spellcoder
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Spellcoder » 06 Apr 2007 19:09

The response to the post quoted below was not specific (at least on a line item by line item basis). It would appear that the ability to switch between audio tracks while the video is playing is not yet a feature for the plugin? As far as I can tell the only way to select which audio track is through the "options" when adding to the playlist. But ability to chage audio track on the fly will be added to .9. Is this correct?
The nightlies for 0.9.0 have had the ability to change audio track during playback with the browser plugin for a few months now. It's in the API docs in the Wiki: http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation: ... Use_of_VLC

(search for vlc.audio.track)
my hideout: http://www.spellcoder.nl
my VLC bugreports: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/query?rep ... spellcoder
likes coding, designing, WoW, VLC&plugin, Amiga's and Mac's & fluffy cats

Cooldream
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cooldream » 11 Apr 2007 11:45

Hello,

I would use a nightly build 0.9 in VB6 to try that new possibility (audio.track and other ?) but the versions I tried didn't work with VB6 (the 0.86 does...)...

Could someone say me which nightlies have an activeX working with VB6 ?

Thanks...

Quovodis

Postby Quovodis » 12 Apr 2007 14:59

Return to “Web and scripting”