About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
baba
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: WinXP & SuSE

Skin Editor fails to save file

Postby baba » 13 Mar 2010 19:55

Hi,

when I try to save a file with the skin editor, I always get a java.lang.NullPointer exception and my theme.xml file is replaced by an empty file. Does anyone know a solution?

Regards

Baba

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Re: Skin Editor fails to save file

Postby 3breadt » 13 Mar 2010 22:31

Does this happen with each skin file you try to save, no matter in which directory you want to save it? Which version are you using?
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

baba
New Cone
New Cone

Postby baba » 13 Mar 2010 22:43

I just found out, that it only happens with the unpacked skin "raptor". I'm using version 0.8.6 dev. But it's the same with all 0.8.x versions.

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Postby 3breadt » 14 Mar 2010 14:23

Then probably the raptor skin is somehow malformed, maybe an image file is missing. Can't help you with that problem.
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

baba
New Cone
New Cone

Postby baba » 14 Mar 2010 15:31

Yes, you're right. There are some bugs in the rapptor skin, which I tried to fix, because I like the design. I could fix some problems, others not. The skin editor is very squeamish with interpreting xml. Many things working fine in the player lead to malfunctions in the editor.

The default skin uses succesful item, collapse and expand, which are not defined in the skin, as images for the treeviev of playlist, but in raptor, they are always refused with an image not found message in the editor.

Unforunately, the documentation of the skin editor is very poor. Most I found out by trial and error.

Thank you.

rtjwilde
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rtjwilde » 30 Mar 2010 07:17

I'm new to the whole VLC Player and Editor but hopefully these suggestions will be of some help. What that means is I don't everything. Just brainstorming what might be ( In General ) possible solutions.

1. In the VLC Editor try scouring all attributes for all the elements for typo errors. It's highly possible something is written wrong or misspelled. Depending on what items, typo errors can reek havoc.

2. You might want to try opening the xml file in a text editor such as Notepad and search for possible broken tags. If you find a broken tag or something similar fix them manually there and save.

3. Try updating Java.

Return to “Skins”