Feature proposal

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Feature proposal

Postby 3breadt » 08 Nov 2006 16:46

Would it be possible to implement slider values, that symbolize the sound output e.g. for spectrum visualizations inside the skin, like output.band(n)?
I hope you understand what I mean ;)

Regards aLtgLasS
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 08 Nov 2006 19:46

I think i understand... You want to create a custom visualization, like the 'spectrum' one.
Even though it would allow to mimic a little more winamp2's little spectrum, I don't really think it is worthwhile to implement this in the skins, because this would work for only a very small subset of the possible visualizations (compare this with what the goom plugin can do...). It would also prevent the user from changing the visualization if he wants to, so i am more in favor of keeping the visualizations in the core.

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 10 Nov 2006 11:30

I don't want to use this feature as a replacement of the visualizations, I would use it as an addition like it is done in Winamp and WMP.
Would be cool if this would be possible :wink:

Asim
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Asim » 10 Nov 2006 14:24

i'm guessing ur talking about the spectrum output NOT in the video but on the skin itself... (e.g. the bottom-left one on WMP as shown)

if so... it would be a great feature vs. using a fake animated image. and it would look great in minimal mode too.

- Asim

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 10 Nov 2006 15:09

Exactly, as I was talking about slider values, and sliders can only be used in the skin and not in the video window. So there would be no conflict with vlc built-in visualizations.

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 10 Nov 2006 19:31

This is precisely what I had understood, so my comment is still valid. Having such a small visualization in the skin window would not bring so much (compared with a video one), and it wouldn't be very flexible (even winamp2 can change its little spectrum visualization into something curves-based, not based on sliders...).
So I am not really motivated to do it :-)

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 11 Nov 2006 13:57

I personally think it would bring much, as much as the visualizations ins wmp winamp quicktime etc. do, namely making the gui more appealing. It just looks better imho (and obviously also in the opinion of the Apple and Microsoft Designers). And concernig flexibility, the slider value method is I think the easiest way to getting at least that simple visualization (although one could to pretty much with slider backgrounds) into the gui.

Return to “Skins”